News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever seen anything truly unexplainable?

Started by karadan, May 29, 2008, 11:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocofish

Coincidentally, today the Astronomy Picture of the Day is time exposures of the ISS traversing the sky while being pursued by the Space Shuttle on May 31st.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Smarmy Of One

There is something that I can't explain that happens to me almost every day.

I can be standing at the front door with my car keys in my hand and a second later I can't find my fucking keys!

They only turn up after about 20 minutes of intensive searching and even more intensive swearing.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"There is something that I can't explain that happens to me almost every day.

I can be standing at the front door with my car keys in my hand and a second later I can't find my fucking keys!

They only turn up after about 20 minutes of intensive searching and even more intensive swearing.

OTG!  Me too!  This is a bigger conspiracy than the underpants gnomes!

McQ

Quote from: "karadan"That is fantastic! I also did a bit of digging (mainly using the brains of some of my friends - far superior to mine) and the unanimous explanation was that it was the ISS.

I am now happy that what i saw can be explained through rational means.

The optical illusion making it seem a lot closer than it was, was amazing. It seemed so real.

Thanks for all of the input. I can sleep happily now :D

You even had me convinced it wasn't the ISS!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Smarmy Of One

Well done, McQ, He fell for it. Now we can get back to conquering Earth!

Muahahaha!

johnnyk

With a friend, one night, I saw what looked like a long, tubelike blue light come out of a palm tree.  We were in a park about midnight. The head of the palm tree was about 40 ft. off the ground. That's where the light came out of.  Right before the light came out, like a shower of sticky, misty stuff shot out of the head of the palm tree. Then the light came out.  It slowly moved to the ground and then hovered there, about 5 ft. off the ground. The light was about 10 to 15 ftl. long.  My friend and I got scared and ran back to my car.  As we were running back, I looked back and saw the light "following" us.  We jumped in the car, started up and drove off.  As we drove off, the light was about 10 ft from the car, still hovering off the ground.  I would describe the light as neon or fluorescent, blue.

Will

I finally thought of something! I'm one of those people for which rain only happens when I forget my umbrella. The link is only correlative, but I was able to demonstrate the link over a three week period 4 years ago. Every time I didn't bring my umbrella, it rained. Every time I brought it, it didn't rain. The explanation is simple: it's coincidence. Still, it's odd.

To test it further, I just purchased an air conditioner. San Jose may never get hot again... :crazy:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Chimera

Quote from: "Willravel"American Idol's nielsen ratings are beyond my understanding of the universe. How a show that redundant is so successful I will never understand. Same with CSI/Law and Order and their various incarnations. It's the exact same thing every week, but millions upon millions tune in religiously.

I agree. But I like CSI anyway. Haha.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Chimera"
Quote from: "Willravel"American Idol's nielsen ratings are beyond my understanding of the universe. How a show that redundant is so successful I will never understand. Same with CSI/Law and Order and their various incarnations. It's the exact same thing every week, but millions upon millions tune in religiously.

I agree. But I like CSI anyway. Haha.

What I found funny is that whenever I hear bad things about America people always talk about American Idol.Hmm I think alot of other countries have forgotten we aren't the only ones with Idol.American Idol is awful I did watch the first season only because it was something new.But watching the start and seeing all those people making asses of themselves wasn't to bad.You have to admit Gil Grissom is pretty cool and after the show started alot more people became interested in working crime scenes.As for unknown things I have people tell me my house is haunted.Both my dogs will go to certain spots in the house and bark at the wall or ceiling.But my dogs also bark at the wind when it blows it hard.After my mom passed I kept smelling roses.But I know that probley had alot to do with me hoping and wishing for an afterlife.I've heard of alot of other people having "unknown/unexplainable things happen but I think if you really looked into these things you could find a cause or reason.

Dickson

That thing under John McCain's chin is truly unexplainable.  Scary, even.
"If there is a God,
I know he likes to rock"
--Billy Corgan

Jolly Sapper

Loffler

Quote from: "karadan"I saw something last night which has rocked my socks off. I've never actually seen anything i can't explain but last night.... I can't seem to accept what my brain is telling me what i saw actually was... There must be another explanation.

Anyways, I'll let you know what i saw once i have a few stories. I'll probably sound like a nutter, but i don't care. I know what i saw was real and i trust my eyes, my judgment and my ability to rationalise.

Ah, the most dangerous words in the world: "I know what I saw was real."

Why do you trust your eyes? Why do you trust your judgment? Why do you trust your ability to rationalize?

You know for a fact that the human brain is capable of hallucination, lapses in judgment, and temporary irrationality. People even go crazy. Why are you so confident that your perceptions are above this?

If your leg felt broken, would you exhibit similar hubris and deny the very possibility you might've broken it? Would you say "I trust my leg?" Your eyes and your brain are simple, vulnerable organs, parts of your organic body just like your leg bones.

The unquestioning confidence that one's brain will never deceive or falter is the source of so much suffering in the world. How different would history be if Mohammed, Moses, Abraham, Joseph Smith (assuming they weren't just lying) had simply admitted "Maybe God's not talking to me, maybe I'm just going crazy." That's what I plan to do if I witness something inexplicable.

Dickson

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"Economics textbooks.
Actually, I'll call econ. books evidence of the antichrist.  Blarf.
"If there is a God,
I know he likes to rock"
--Billy Corgan