News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

arab-israeli conflict

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 26, 2006, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

what do you people think of the arab-israeli conflict, both the present hostilities, and historically.

To 'set out my stall' from the outset, I am generally on the side of the Israelis, obviously because historically and biblically, Israel has been regarded by bible believers as a key player in world affairs.  I must admit, though, that I am a little bit suspicious of the neo-con support emanating from America.  That makes me wary.    I don't agree with the Jewish religion, as you may probably know, but I believe that Israel has a key part to play in these times, and is currently in the centre of a conflict that could engulf us all.  

Are atheists also against Jews, since they represent the basis of the Judeo-Christian religion?

Huxley

Again, which bits are you being serious about?

Asmodean Prime

Huxley, as you may or may not know, I am being serious in all of my discussions (except the light-hearted ones) - you work out the difference.

Seriously, though, I am a Christian.  

On an atheist forum.

Odd?  Yes.

you work it out.

By the way, I corrected my earlier mistake (twice) of crediting iplaw with YOUR postings.

Big Mac

I'm against Israel not because they are Jewish but because they violate the Geneva Convention. The irony is that a nation founded because of one of the most horrible war crimes of history would be commiting to so many.

Actually I got into it with another Atheist on another forum because I didn't like Israel.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Aullios

I like to stay rather neutral, but I must say that I kinda do side with the Palestinians.

How would you like it if, out of the blue, your homeowners association decided to take the best pieces of your land put some political refugees that you've never seen before on there, permanently?  I don't think you'd like it any more than the Palestinians would the Jews.

Big Mac

Exactly, not to mention the Jews that were put on Palestine were never there before. Their ancestors left long ago. What they should have done is made Israel out of a part of Germany since Germany is the country that killed so many Jews. THat would have made more sense, to me.

Tom62

Quote from: "Big Mac"What they should have done is made Israel out of a part of Germany since Germany is the country that killed so many Jews. THat would have made more sense, to me.

Somehow that reminds me of Godley and Cream's "An Englishman in New York" lyrics: "Disturbing facts about Nazi splinter groups seen on the news. They're picketing synagogues and claiming that Hitler was King of the Jews"
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Big Mac

Eh?! I'm just saying Nazi Germany killed jews, it would make sense to make the former Nazi Germany give up some of its land to make Israel.

iplaw

What in the hell are you two talking about?  The UN forced the situation in 1948 not the Israelies, ont to mention the Great Arab Revolt in 1936-39 that was a systematic effort to eliminate the Jews.  As far as the Geneva Convention.  An agreement like that only works if both side of the conflict are willing to abide by it.  Arab countries almost unanimously ignore the validity of the Geneva Convention.

Big Mac

Yeah but that doesn't give Israel the right to violate it even worse. There are tons of Arabs who are arrested for merely protesting (not all of them are violent) and Israel has opened fire on them and arrested many who are expressing their (justifiable) anger towards a corrupt state. Maybe Israeli should give up and go back to Europe where those people came from.

Once again, I feel the UN proves the worthlessness like the group it succeeded: the League of Nations. Remember how good that one was at stopping WWII?

iplaw

FYI.  The Palestenians causing the trouble now are hell bent on the destruction of Israel at all costs.  Syria, Iran, and Palestine have are all comitted to wiping Israel off the map, or as they like to say, "driving them into the sea."  

I don't remember Israel ever calling for the elimination of arab countries at all.  In fact in the 90's they agreed to every demand that Arafat imposed and it still wasn't enough.

iplaw

QuoteYeah but that doesn't give Israel the right to violate it even worse.
Quoteanger towards a corrupt state
You're gonna have to back up these assertions.

QuoteEh?! I'm just saying Nazi Germany killed jews, it would make sense to make the former Nazi Germany give up some of its land to make Israel.
Why was it wrong for Germans to systematically kills jews but it's justifiable for arabs?

Big Mac

Well good for them. Israel is a waste of time and money in my opinion. We funnel so much into it to keep it afloat and still it's a stagnate country.

We Americans should go back to isolation. It was working pretty dandy before I don't see why it won't work so well now.

Because Jews are invading their terriotory. Germany they were not really doing much besides being usurers and jewelers and accountants like usual. But in Palestine they are terrorists and thugs sanctioned by the UN, another corrupt and disgusting group. I say good for the Freedom Fighters against occupation.

iplaw

Obviously your opinion is irrational and founded on a lack of prudent historical study.

QuoteWe Americans should go back to isolation. It was working pretty dandy before I don't see why it won't work so well now.
Huh?  We tried to stay neutral and isolated once, and remember what that go us?  Oh, yeah, that damned Hitler character.  Would the world be a fun place now if we would have adopted an isolationist stance and let Hitler get the bomb.  Sounds like fun to me!!!

iplaw

QuoteBecause Jews are invading their terriotory. Germany they were not really doing much besides being usurers and jewelers and accountants like usual. But in Palestine they are terrorists and thugs sanctioned by the UN, another corrupt and disgusting group. I say good for the Freedom Fighters against occupation.
I think you just left the planet.