News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

"Dad I'm an atheist."

Started by susangail, April 22, 2008, 04:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susangail

I can't believe it's on reddit. I really can't. I had completely forgotten about that article. Wow.

Quote from: "Asmodean"

Welcome to the land of the out-of-the-closet  :D
Thank you! I like the fresh air out here. I'll work on that last bit...
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

NearBr0ken

Congratulations on telling your parents.  I come from an almost identical situation.  I'm actually off at college, not even living at home any more, and I still can't bring myself to tell them.  You've inspired me.  If you could see the amount of times I've switched back and forth between Christian and atheist, I don't know if you'd laugh or cry.  Probably both.  The problem with religion is that there is no gray area.  Religion is either wrong, in which case it should be rejected in it's entirety, or it's right, in which case it should be totally embraced.  If you're wrong in either case, you've either wasted your whole life chasing something that isn't real, or you've subjected yourself to eternity in hell.  I've come to the conclusion that at some point in the past, religion was essential to human psychology and we're mentally evolving out of that stage.  God just...doesn't make sense.  Ignorance is fine as long as there isn't any knowledge to replace it.  With the emergence of hard science that directly contradicts religion, someone has to be wrong, and a virgin birthing a boy that has magical powers doesn't make as much sense as evolution.  Now, I just have to find a way to break it to them...

Jolly Sapper

Congratulations, you are internet famous!

mspeight

Good for you in telling your parents! :hail:
 I'm still kind of a closet atheist because Ive told some people but not everybody...
Some of the kids at school know and they dont like it at all so they badger me about it.
The rest of my family is hardcore Catholic except my Mom and Brother.Ive told my Mom and Bro and there cool with it.
All my cousins and friends and grandparents and dad are all creationists who would be super pissed at me if they knew.
My friend Dan and his family are like a second family but if they knew I'm an Atheists they would flip out.
Hey I am a liberal,atheist, and a environmentalist.