News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2018, 01:16:03 AM
I thought this was great.  ;D

I can imagine a cute little Fernanda wearing one of those at that age.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on March 22, 2018, 05:38:02 AM

Great image! Makes me feel warm inside.

As long as that's what she really wants and it's not just a shirt her nerd parents make her wear.
They could be being pressuring her and she could be more suited to a career in princess being.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 22, 2018, 01:26:44 PM

As long as that's what she really wants and it's not just a shirt her nerd parents make her wear.
They could be being pressuring her and she could be more suited to a career in princess being.

I have to admit that aspect did occur to me later. Pushy parents are a pain - another reason I am glad I was never a father! Though, with my nueces snd nephews I did try to follow their path, ask them what they wanted.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on March 22, 2018, 01:31:07 PM

I have to admit that aspect did occur to me later. Pushy parents are a pain - another reason I am glad I was never a father! Though, with my nueces snd nephews I did try to follow their path, ask them what they wanted.

Yes but remember Bronowski! if our civilisation is to continue we must imbue our young with an appreciation of science!!! 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 22, 2018, 03:50:07 AM

I can imagine a cute little Fernanda wearing one of those at that age.

Heh, I don't think my father would have ever allowed me to wear one. If he had his way I would either be a diplomat, a lawyer or an MD. :) 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

That is true, parents do project a lot onto their children so it could be the case that she actually wants to be a Disney princess but had that dream thwarted by her parents before reality did it for them. ;) 

Dave

QuoteYes but remember Bronowski! if our civilisation is to continue we must imbue our young with an appreciation of science!!!

Oh, yeah, BP!

Even when buying one nephew junior magic tricks we talked about the science behind some of them. Static electricity was always good for a giggle, their mother had very dry skin and could not wear synthetic clothes, mostly nylon in those days, without her hair standing on end and drawing sparks from taps etc. Bedding had to be cotton. I told her to slap cars, gently, flat handed before approaching the door handle.

Always worth offering magnets etc to kids then saying, "Try it, give it a go, notice what happens," unless it is unsafe. Always try to get the kid to work it out for themselves - with suitable prompting - is my method. If they don't take the bait they usually take something away.

Bad Penny II

Dave

Icarus

I want to be the kindly grandfather to that little girl. She, and others like her,  are precious and they may very well represent, and be responsible for,  the future of this planet.

Being a princess or head cheerleader is nice but it does very little benefit in the grand scheme of things.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on March 22, 2018, 11:19:35 PM
I want to be the kindly grandfather to that little girl. She, and others like her,  are precious and they may very well represent, and be responsible for,  the future of this planet.

Being a princess or head cheerleader is nice but it does very little benefit in the grand scheme of things.
Why not be both? They are not mutually exclusive conditions.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:13:07 AM

True, she could be a princess when she's a kid, a cheerleader when she's a teenager and finally evolve into a scientist once she's grown up. :grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2018, 10:16:13 AM

True, she could be a princess when she's a kid, a cheerleader when she's a teenager and finally evolve into a scientist once she's grown up. :grin:

Brian Cox is still easy on the eye at 50.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 23, 2018, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2018, 10:16:13 AM

Brian Cox is still easy on the eye at 50.
Hahaha I have a female friend who also has  crush on BC.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.