News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: No one on October 26, 2017, 08:45:28 PM
Well Dave, they are worth a thousand words

I tried that on a boss once, we were doing contracted research and his rule was one word per £ paid by the customer in terms of reports. No, pictures did not count as a thousand words each! Since the contracts averaged about £100k that made for a lot of writing - I have not yet managed to relearn how to be succinct!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

;D   One pound per word?  Larceny!  That makes me remember my first job as a recent graduate of engineering school.  I landed a job with a construction company that I knew was over paying me. One of my assigned duties was to buy supplies for the engineering department.  The vendors they were using were charging excessively for their products. I was told not to shop for better prices.  Hmmmm, is the supplier someones cousin or brother in law?  No not the case.  The contracts that my employer dealt with were "cost plus" arrangements. That is to say that the construction company would open their books to the buyers auditors and they would be compensated for all costs plus a certain percentage of the total costs, such as 12% more or less.  The more the contractor spent the more that 12% enriched the firm. I was pretty naive at that time.......what the hell, I may still be naive but hopefully somewhat less than I was when in my twenties.   (too soon old, too late smart)

The part that puzzles me is : why would a huge and presumably intelligent and profitable outfit like....say, International Minerals and Chemical Corporation, the buyer of the chemical plant being constructed,  submit to such a clear scheme to defraud ?   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 27, 2017, 12:29:14 AM
;D   One pound per word?  Larceny!  That makes me remember my first job as a recent graduate of engineering school.  I landed a job with a construction company that I knew was over paying me. One of my assigned duties was to buy supplies for the engineering department.  The vendors they were using were charging excessively for their products. I was told not to shop for better prices.  Hmmmm, is the supplier someones cousin or brother in law?  No not the case.  The contracts that my employer dealt with were "cost plus" arrangements. That is to say that the construction company would open their books to the buyers auditors and they would be compensated for all costs plus a certain percentage of the total costs, such as 12% more or less.  The more the contractor spent the more that 12% enriched the firm. I was pretty naive at that time.......what the hell, I may still be naive but hopefully somewhat less than I was when in my twenties.   (too soon old, too late smart)

The part that puzzles me is : why would a huge and presumably intelligent and profitable outfit like....say, International Minerals and Chemical Corporation, the buyer of the chemical plant being constructed,  submit to such a clear scheme to defraud ?   

Because crime pays?

These fraudulent schemes are very common in Brazil, in all levels of society. We have the government we deserve, that's the truth.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on October 26, 2017, 08:45:28 PM
Well Dave, they are worth a thousand words

A word is also worth a thousand pictures.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Icarus, when I think of the public money that get stolen by duch practices I feel very angry and want to rip heads off. I bet those very same bosses complain about the taxes they pay (assuming they do not fraud their way out of those as well) because the treasury has to pay exhorbitent costs for their projects!

Look at the state of countries like Greece for examples of these sorts of practices. Chances are I would be dead there due to the lack and cost of cardiac mdficines. :rant1:

And I'd bet that Trump is personally entirely in favour of such fraudulent practices - providing he is on the receiving end, they will be "criminal" otherwise of course.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Those of us who still find outrage when learning of shady deals might like the book: Chickenshit Club, by Jesse Eisinger....Sub title; Why the justice department fails to prosecute executives.

The title word Chickenshit is for real.   It came about as a result of an introductory address by James Comey. (yes, that James Comey, the one trashed by D.J. Trump when the heat approached)  Newly installed as the head honcho, he was addressing the lawyer type members of department of justice branch of the Southern district of New York. He asked the assembly of lawyers how many cases they had lost and how many had never had a hung jury. Many hands went up. He told them that they were chickenshits because they picked their cases so carefully that they never lost. The premise was that they did not go head to head with cases where the sleazy wall street executives and others in power could hire expensive defense lawyers with good track records. After all, DOJ lawyers do want to elevate their reputations by keeping a favorable score about won/lost cases. So pick and choose cases so as to look good on paper.

The book is crawling with anecdotes about how powerful executive types. and political strong men get away with all sorts of questionable tactics that are designed to enrich their company and/or themselves, at the expense of poor slobs like we commoners.  I do not recommend the book if you have a keen sense of justice.  That, or you must increase your normal dosage of hypertension medications.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

Another quiz thing for the numerically astute...or not.  The video has a lot of follow ups that are increasingly more difficult.  Just right for mental exercises if that is your game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcU0vVLyGPk

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx