Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 17, 2016, 03:11:19 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on March 17, 2016, 02:27:34 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 17, 2016, 02:00:53 PM

Still a lot of ancient people seem to have made a practice of going into combat naked.  The Celts were supposed to wear nothing but their tattoos into battle, apparently to scare their enemies.
Or as a show of courage.
"I don't need some stinkin' armour to beat a whimp like you!"  :cartoonviking:

I'm sticking with scaring their enemies, if nothing else than the fear of being attacked by a lunatic.  Anyway, tho I know zero about combat, I've always thought armour could be a real disadvantage in many cases -- it has to seriously slow the fighter down and interfere with his range of motion.
Back in those days, there was another problem with clothing and armor. If one got shot with an arrow through a shirt of clothe or leather, there is a good chance that a bit of that clothing (that has been exposed to the elements, possibly other people's blood, dirt, shit... etc.), would get pushed into the wound as well. So even if the arrow were pulled, the debris would remain which could lead to an infection which would lead to death.

Getting shot with an arrow through just the skin, the arrow gets pulled, likely not leaving extra debris, and making it more likely that the soldier would survive a battler wound.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guest on March 17, 2016, 01:41:09 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 17, 2016, 11:36:53 AM
^^^ The 300?
Yep, that one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_nudity might provide an explanation. Sure is not practical to dress so scantily, as arrows should have been flying around all the time..

Still a lot of ancient people seem to have made a practice of going into combat naked.  The Celts were supposed to wear nothing but their tattoos into battle, apparently to scare their enemies.
Or as a show of courage.

It is a show of courage, though not too smart. ;)

"I wear armour so I don't have to worry about what you'll do to me, only what I'll do to you." :whiteknight:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Quote from: Davin on March 17, 2016, 08:24:44 PM

Or as a show of courage.

I'm sticking with scaring their enemies, if nothing else than the fear of being attacked by a lunatic.  Anyway, tho I know zero about combat, I've always thought armour could be a real disadvantage in many cases -- it has to seriously slow the fighter down and interfere with his range of motion.
Back in those days, there was another problem with clothing and armor. If one got shot with an arrow through a shirt of clothe or leather, there is a good chance that a bit of that clothing (that has been exposed to the elements, possibly other people's blood, dirt, shit... etc.), would get pushed into the wound as well. So even if the arrow were pulled, the debris would remain which could lead to an infection which would lead to death.

Getting shot with an arrow through just the skin, the arrow gets pulled, likely not leaving extra debris, and making it more likely that the soldier would survive a battler wound.

So it would make sense to pass arrows through blood or shit or something before battle? At least I've heard bodies were hurled to a city with catapults for a similar reason. Or maybe just for the demoralizing effect..

Davin

Quote from: Guest on March 18, 2016, 08:51:12 AM

Or as a show of courage.

So it would make sense to pass arrows through blood or shit or something before battle? At least I've heard bodies were hurled to a city with catapults for a similar reason. Or maybe just for the demoralizing effect..
It might help in the long term, but it took a soldier a while to recover from an injury anyway, so trying to make their recovery worse would really just be a dick move because it wouldn't help the current battle. The other thing is, that most might get more sick from feces coated arrows, but without something inside the body to protect all the bad things from the bodies immune system, they still might recover. It would be a bit of clothe, leather, or something else sitting inside the body with nasty stuff inside it that would kill a person. So a get a bit of cloth on the tip of the arrow that has been soaked in shit, then shoot that into a person. But again, that would be a dick move meant to hurt recovery chances, it wouldn't help the current battle.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guest on March 18, 2016, 08:51:12 AM

Or as a show of courage.

I don't know if it would make sense to the ancients or during medieval times since they weren't aware that diseases were caused by microbes. I think they believed that it was the smell of the feces, rotting corpses or clothes that had been worn by diseased corpses that killed - that's where the word 'malaria' comes from, meaning roughly 'bad air'.

Some bowmen would poison the arrowheads before a battle though, and longbowmen would stick their arrows into the ground instead of drawing from their quivers, which was likely to up the chances of infection, should the target survive the wound.

xSilverPhinx

Buddy

And being me is tripping over the fucking cat because she thinks that I can see her when she lays in front of the bathroom door in the middle of the night.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Biggus Dickus

This is me, sporting my favorite shirt in the whole world when I was a little boy. (Back when I wanted to be a cowboy)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 21, 2016, 01:15:35 AM
This is me, sporting my favorite shirt in the whole world when I was a little boy. (Back when I wanted to be a cowboy)

Oh My Asmo!
You're so cute!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Translated: "My love, I have arrived. I'm sending you a selfie of the hotel. I miss you enormously."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany