Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on January 16, 2016, 03:42:19 AM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 16, 2016, 03:14:25 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 16, 2016, 02:58:07 AM
^^^^
This one should be in the, Go Awwwww you lose! thread.

That thread is for kittens along with Asmo's little minions, not the proper place for a handsome doggy and his friend.

I have a confession, father Bruno:  :secrets1: I don't like dogs, at all, I'm afraid of them, they bite.  :shifty:

Well Mother Magdalene (Sounds like a nun from my school days, shudder) we apes and my friend Kahlua like you very much...so no worries.  ;D

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Mags, the best most loyal, friends you can ever imagine are canines. Yes they bite, but your dog will only bite someone, anyone, who threatens you. Then they will lie down beside you and love you with their eyes and all their heart.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 16, 2016, 07:52:54 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 16, 2016, 03:42:19 AM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 16, 2016, 03:14:25 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 16, 2016, 02:58:07 AM
^^^^
This one should be in the, Go Awwwww you lose! thread.

That thread is for kittens along with Asmo's little minions, not the proper place for a handsome doggy and his friend.

I have a confession, father Bruno:  :secrets1: I don't like dogs, at all, I'm afraid of them, they bite.  :shifty:

Well Mother Magdalene (Sounds like a nun from my school days, shudder) we apes and my friend Kahlua like you very much...so no worries.  ;D
Oooh! I also like your friend   :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on January 17, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
Mags, the best most loyal, friends you can ever imagine are canines. Yes they bite,
I rest my case.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Read the rest of the plea Mags.  Please. You are missing one of life's great gifts.

Service dogs do not bite, therapy dogs do not bite, cadaver dogs do not bite, search and rescue dogs do not bite, Tracking dogs do not bite, bomb and drug sniffing dogs do not bite. Retraction: almost any of those canines will defend their handlers if they perceive a physical threat to their handlers safety.  Further retraction: the barbarian humans who indulge in dog fighting rings are the real threat to society, not the dogs themselves, in addition if you are a fleeing felon and a Police K9 is let loose you are likely to be bitten. I do not believe you to be a fleeing felon so you are quite safe from canine fangs.

Dogs and certain cetaceans, like dolphins and  pseudorcas attach themselves to humans for some inexplicable reason. They are mammals who have come to an understanding of the mutual benefit of their friendship and dedication. It is not about the fact that we feed and care for them. PC has argued against that concept but I cheerfully and respectfully disagree with her.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on January 18, 2016, 02:56:17 AM
Read the rest of the plea Mags.  Please. You are missing one of life's great gifts.

Service dogs do not bite, therapy dogs do not bite, cadaver dogs do not bite, search and rescue dogs do not bite, Tracking dogs do not bite, bomb and drug sniffing dogs do not bite. Retraction: almost any of those canines will defend their handlers if they perceive a physical threat to their handlers safety. 
I hear you, Icarus, but I was bitten by a dog when I was little. I don't trust them.

Further retraction: the barbarian humans who indulge in dog fighting rings are the real threat to society, not the dogs themselves, in addition if you are a fleeing felon and a Police K9 is let loose you are likely to be bitten. I do not believe you to be a fleeing felon so you are quite safe from canine fangs.
I don't know, Icarus, I'm always hanging out with people who, for some reason, always, according to police, :airquotes: "Match the description of a suspect in a robbery." :airquotes:
So, I'm not that safe from canine fangs either. 

Dogs and certain cetaceans, like dolphins and  pseudorcas attach themselves to humans for some inexplicable reason. They are mammals who have come to an understanding of the mutual benefit of their friendship and dedication. It is not about the fact that we feed and care for them. PC has argued against that concept but I cheerfully and respectfully disagree with her.
OK. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this cheerful and respectful disagreement turns out.  :grin:

Tank

Mags. Do you know why the dog bit you? I got bitten by a dog when I as I kid. I was trying to take its bone away! I learned a lesson :D

None of my dogs have ever bitten anybody and that's over 40 dog/years.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2016, 06:36:52 AM
Mags. Do you know why the dog bit you? I got bitten by a dog when I as I kid. I was trying to take its bone away! I learned a lesson :D

Nope.  :sadshake:
It was the the next door neighbor's dog. It was always just sitting there at the entrance of their house, it hardly ever moved from there. One day, I was just walking by, minding my business, and it just bit my stomach--of all places!  >:( I told my aunt, both families got in an argument about it. The dog's owner said, like you suggested, that I might have done something to upset the dog, but I didn't, I didn't even see it coming.  :( It scared the heck out of me. It was weird because that dog had never bitten anyone, ever!  >:( That's why both families doubted that I had not done anything to upset the dog.

If I'm walking down the street and someone is walking their dog, no matter how small, I freeze, then I move far away from it. The owners can tell I'm frightened, so they pull the leash a bit more, that's something I really appreciate.  :) I've come across a few without a leash...
...The horror!   :haironfire:
;D

Cats...that's another story, I just love cats...they don't bite.  :tellmemore:

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on January 18, 2016, 07:47:45 AM

It was the the next door neighbor's dog. It was always just sitting there at the entrance of their house, it hardly ever moved from there. One day, I was just walking by, minding my business, and it just bit my stomach--of all places!  >:( I told my aunt, both families got in an argument about it. The dog's owner said, like you suggested, that I might have done something to upset the dog, but I didn't, I didn't even see it coming.  :( It scared the heck out of me. It was weird because that dog had never bitten anyone, ever!  >:( That's why both families doubted that I had not done anything to upset the dog.

If I'm walking down the street and someone is walking their dog, no matter how small, I freeze, then I move far away from it. The owners can tell I'm frightened, so they pull the leash a bit more, that's something I really appreciate.  :) I've come across a few without a leash...
;D

That would spook anyone.  How old were you?

OldGit

My Gyp bit two people without warning and for no apparent reason.  But that's pretty unusual in dogs as a whole.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2016, 12:53:49 PM

;D

I think I must have been about 6 or 7 yeas old.  :(

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on January 18, 2016, 04:49:32 PM
My Gyp bit two people without warning and for no apparent reason.  But that's pretty unusual in dogs as a whole.
Hopefully, PC can explain why dogs do this. I still wonder why that dog bit me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on January 18, 2016, 08:22:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2016, 12:53:49 PM

;D

I think I must have been about 6 or 7 yeas old.  :(

Did the dog get sick or anything after biting you Mags? ;D

Just kidding...at 6 or 7 I'm sure that was a dramatic experience for you, and I can understand why you are still wary of dogs as an adult.

I wonder if the dog saw you as a threat or encroaching on it's territory? My mother had a dog who never interacted with other dogs at all, and then one day my sister brought her dog over to mom's house on a visit and as soon as the front door opened my mother's dog leaped out and attacked my sister's dog without warning...and she was the sweetest girl.

Another time, a friend of my mothers came by the house with her young grandson who was probably 5 or 6 at the time, and again when my mother open the door her dog suddenly leaped out again at the boy. Fortunately she didn't bite the boy, but it really scared the young boy quite badly.

When my mother took her dog to the vet she suggested my mother take the dog to places were she interact with other dogs, and than under really supervised conditions, with her dog on a leash introduce her to young children.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

Another thing to be aware of: When a dog is insecure or in an aggressive state of mind, just looking it in the eyes can provoke a reaction (including biting).

QuoteDogs rarely look directly into each other's eyes because this is considered threatening behavior. Yet most dogs learn that it's okay, even pleasant, to look directly at people. A dog who looks at you with a relaxed facial expression is being friendly and hoping that you'll notice him. A dog who looks directly at you, actually staring at you with a tense facial expression, is another matter indeed. A direct stare is much more likely to be a threat, and if you're in close proximity to such a dog, it's wise to slowly look away. Looking away is what dogs do when they don't want to appear threatening. A dog who averts his gaze when you look at him is signalling that he's submissive. It can also indicate that he's worried about interacting with you. Maybe he's been scared of people in the past, and so he isn't very confident about dealing with people now.

[source]

If you're uncertain about the dog, and it's unrestrained or within lunging distance, taking your eyes completely off it may not be the best option. Instead, look slightly to the side, or at the ears or the tail.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken