News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Sorry, folks, I posted in the wrong thread.  That's increased the total weight of the galaxy by 1.9 x 10-47 imperial tons.

Icarus

Amazing what surprising stuff one can learn by participating at HAF. >>>The weight of the internet......Muslim noses and Super Glue, cyano acrylate......and a new word that sent me to the dictionary. Aha! OG's word; treacle is a noun that means cloying speech or sentiment. It also names a medicinal compound that is an antidote for certain poisons...........The kicker is that the Brits have an exclusively Brit meaning; molasses. Thank you OG, how else could I have learned that I could put treacle on my pancakes?  ???

OldGit

Ha!  I didn't know you Murrikins had a different word for treacle.  Brits know the word molasses but I suspect we're not exactly what it is.

Icarus

Recusant gave us a goody in the science section. It is about signals from dark matter. Heady stuff. Well I was prowling around the referenced  Phys.com site and I found something the ladies will surely just love. http://phys.org/news/2014-12-theory-men-idiots.html#ajTabs   ;)

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

I love that one too. 

Here's one for IHYM, wherever he may be:

I abhor the original ad campaign (PC Rant, incoming!) so I adore the memes mocking it.  Cold is objective.  I prefer my bedroom around 55F, personally.  The not-so-accurate fireplace thermometer says it's currently 58F.  Otherwise it's too hot for fun things like flannel pants, oversize hoodies, massive piles of blankets and sneaking the dogs in bed (although they usually won't, because it's too hot).

You get into dogs, which the campaign was originally aimed at, and you've got a whole range of history and experience to consider.  My dogs are happiest around 15F.  They actually get excited when we go out in the morning and the temp is in the teens.  It's typically in the 20sF on Xmas day, and my family will have a roaring fire burning.  After greeting everyone, checking out gifts and mugging the weak-willed for food, the dogs will begin loudly protesting the horrible, hellish conditions in the house until I let them stretch out on the concrete steps outside.  Because they are most certainly NOT cold when I am cold, and deep down people know this and therefore the whole campaign becomes bullshit. 

OTOH, I would never even attempt to bring a Chihuahua into my house, because I'm pretty sure it would die of hypothermia no matter how many sweaters I put on it.

Beyond that, the photos used in the original campaign are all photos I have dozens of myself, because my dogs love that shit.  Photos people now issue threats of legal action, even death threats on.  So rather than educate people and encourage them to think and plan, we've created an inaccurate meme of cruelty based off benign images.  Yay people!   ::)

At least I'm further into farm country now, and have a fence.  I used to worry all winter about someone making a cruelty call on Foxy Lady, because she would go out on her tie out and refuse to come back in the house.  I'd end up reeling in the line to catch her and carrying her into the house because I had to go to bed. 

OldGit

Gyp lies in front of the stove all day, when he's not lying in front of the hearth fire or in a patch of sun.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

None.  >:( They are not ratties, and are therefore harumph.

...and yes, The Asmo just blatantly stole the term from Islam, in case someone didn't get it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I love that spider meme. I try to make sure the spiders I let live freely in my bathroom and kitchen aren't the deadly ones, but other than that, they're cool by me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Icarus

^ Oooh, CLT you have hit upon the wisdom of the ages.