Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 02, 2014, 11:42:31 PM
Quote from: OldGit on February 02, 2014, 10:40:41 AM
I'm disappointed that nobody seems to know what they call a cross between Ed Milliband and a she-octopus.  I've no idea, which is why I asked. ;)

So Ed Milliband is just a great big she-puss?
That's a pretty good description.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2014, 09:44:16 AM

Looks like a right-handed person writing with her left hand. The Asmo would know - people often try to imitate His ambidexterity. In any case, what's preventing this annoying feminist-to-be from playing with "boys'" Legos?

I automatically question the authenticity of anything online claiming to have come from a child's hand.

That aside, it is a legit complaint.  The problem is not that she can not play with "boy" Legos, it's that there are no female Lego characters, outside of those dictated by movie-themed sets.  Or the pink "girl" sets.  Plus the problem set forth by Lego attempting to assign male and female traits and set them forth in color-coded little boxes, although that goes beyond just Lego.

My deepest beef with Lego is that they've become wholly uncreative, exchanging gallon buckets of random blocks to what you will with, with Hollywood-licensed boxed sets of specialized blocks that can be put together one way.  Very glad my parents kept all my old Legos, which are mixed in with my dad's old Legos.

Kody

Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 03, 2014, 04:14:13 PM
My deepest beef with Lego is that they've become wholly uncreative, exchanging gallon buckets of random blocks to what you will with, with Hollywood-licensed boxed sets of specialized blocks that can be put together one way.

This!

Growing up, we had a huge chest of legos, kinex, and lincoln logs. My brother and I would build all kinds of stuff with no instructions. Mindlessly following instructions takes the fun and much of the learning out of it.

Pasta Chick

Kinex were awesome!

And all the Lego stuff used to fit together, too.  So you could have off shoot sets from entirely different lines, and still build all your sets together anyway.  Our Lego people were frequently visited by giants from the Technic world.

Asmodean

Quote from: Kody on February 03, 2014, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 03, 2014, 04:14:13 PM
My deepest beef with Lego is that they've become wholly uncreative, exchanging gallon buckets of random blocks to what you will with, with Hollywood-licensed boxed sets of specialized blocks that can be put together one way.

This!

Growing up, we had a huge chest of legos, kinex, and lincoln logs. My brother and I would build all kinds of stuff with no instructions. Mindlessly following instructions takes the fun and much of the learning out of it.
This, The Asmo is buying.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

So what's going on here? ^^^ ???

You folks questioning the authenticity of my floating doggy picture?

Really, you don't trust me, after all this time, after all of my posts?

That shit is real man, real.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

No need to get all jumpy, Bruno. ;D *pats on the back*
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 13, 2014, 10:58:40 PM

Hmm... An interesting question. Downloading files does not add matter in any regular sense, but adding charge to components may inflict the laptop to have more electrons than it would otherwise, and electrons do have mass...

...Any physicists around who have little to do and don't mind computing a standard of some kind?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Can't imagine it would increase the mass of the device by a noticable amount, though....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Oh, no, not noticeable! But it would still be an interesting useless fact to add to my collection.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 14, 2014, 01:42:31 AM
Can't imagine it would increase the mass of the device by a noticable amount, though....

Here's a related video:
How Much Does The Internet Weight?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUzu-iksi8

Asmodean

..!

Yes, this was sort of what I was looking for. What would be very interesting is finding out the mass increase for an individual transistor carrying the appropriate bit. Then one could make calculations for one's own tablet...

In any case, the number is larger than I expected it to be and, as suspected, that LN person's answer was a case of failed sarcasm.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.