News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Do I Just Attract Them or What?

Started by LSchune, February 09, 2008, 05:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

I read a quote the other day and since I can't retain quotes very well forgive me if it's not word for word, but it went like this, "Jesus rode an ass and now the asses ride Jesus".  Why don't you ask this woman why she is so concerned about your soul?  If she believes that you will be duly punished in hell then shouldn't that be enough to satisfy her?  Also, I think that Christmas centers around the winter solstice and the celebration of the days getting longer.  Nobody knows when Jesus was supposedly born, so it began with a pagan ritual that the christians stole.  Why would any atheist say "bless you" when someone sneezes?  That's just plain silly.  Why allow this woman the satisfaction of replying to her?  Isn't there enough crap out there that we have to be exposed to?

Msblue

I also say "bless you" when someone sneezes...years of habit. It's a silly superstition, that I don't believe in but, I wouldn't consider it religious.

tacoma_kyle

I dont say it. Strangely my parents never raised us to say that. Even though everyone else always had. They still claim to believe in god, havent been to a church (other than marriage or a funeral) in probably 6 years.

Anyhow I have no reason to. It is just a custom thing.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Will

My strategy is a bit different when it comes to the evangelists: I like to convert them to Islam.

It's not that I believe in Islam, or even that I favor it over any of the other religious institutions, but it's out of favor in Western society. I'm fortunate to have a few friends who are Muslim that tried to convert me, so I'm familiar with the concepts.

I actually managed to convert a Jehovah's Witness right on my doorstep in about 3 hours.

It's funny that I'm not comfortable converting people to atheism via trickery and mind games, but I really enjoy converting them to Islam.

Salam aleikum, bitches!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ShimShamSam

wow, impressive you were able to convert them, usually they have their belief structure set up so they dont have to change it even when confronted with infallible logic.

nummymuffin

I recall reading somewhere that Jesus was supposedly born in the spring. It would make sense though-that they would change the celebration of his birthday to winter since the creation of Chritianity was to be an all inclusive religion. Didn't really work that way though! Witch burnings certainly didn't help matters any!

Will

ShimSham, the trick is adapting it to their belief system, not restructuring it. Convince them that is what they're expected to believe and combine that with interpretations of scripture they're familiar with. Combine that with salesmanship and you've got a shot.

Logic need not apply.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ShimShamSam

but Willravel, if we don't conduct ourselves with reason and logic, then what do we stand for. If we have to beat them by used twisted reasoning that doesn't make any sense, even if to debate them with, than we're no better than them for having their own contradicting scriptures. But anyway, I try to maintain my integrity, i wouldn't sink to filling the air with bullshit

Will

I do it purely out of my perverse pleasure of turning the imposition back on them. It's punishment for interrupting my day because you assume you know more about the universe than I do.

I wouldn't do it for any other reason.

LSchune

Quote from: "Willravel"ShimSham, the trick is adapting it to their belief system, not restructuring it. Convince them that is what they're expected to believe and combine that with interpretations of scripture they're familiar with. Combine that with salesmanship and you've got a shot.

Logic need not apply.

ROFL.

Logic need not even scan the want ads.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

nummymuffin

Logic-what logic?