News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Army

Started by bitter_sweet_symphony, January 20, 2008, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

searchingmind

I absolutely respect people in the military who serve to protect the freedoms I know we all hold so dearly.  I would personally be willing to risk my life to protect my ideals and those I love.

I believe that the overwhemling majority of the people I would be protecting myself from are trying to do the same thing I am: protect their ideals and loved ones.  If I was born in their county, I would be doing exactly what they are doing. Iamagine if I were born in Iraq and believed deeply that American ideals are corrupting the world by encouraging promiscuous sex, abortion, and rampant drug use.  Imagine the community I grew up in was destroyed by oil hungry politicians. I would have a very hard time putting myself in a position to kill someone that is trying to do something to protect their own way of life.  

I think back to WWII when America dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Hmmm.  That did a lot to save American lives and bring more closure to the war.  I just don't personally think that my life or my parents' or child's lives are more important than those casualties of war.  Yes I would kill someone threatening violence if I thought that it was the best chance to save somone elses.  I just value the power of communication and diplomacy which can only become more powerful when we use them.

I vehemently believe in liberal ideals of free speech, freedom of religion, freedom to marry somone of a different skin color or of my own gender(oh wait, I can't. Anyway...), freedom for me as a woman to do anything a man can do.  

However, though I'm sure many of you are ready to tell me to stick some things up my hind quarters, I would have no problem more directly defending myself.  I would love to be a part of a peace-keeping military, like with the UN, which strives only to protect human rights.  I don't even have a problem with torturing suspected terrorists who may be planning an attack.  I know I could unjustly harm inoccent people I thought were guilty, but if I eventually let them go and gave them substantial rehabilitative support, then I would be fine with that.

So, I would love to understand how those of you have been in the military feel about this.  Do you think that our military leaders have enough understanding and respect for those we would call "enemies" to adequately solve the real problem?  Do you think your country is best served by having a strong military defense (and offense)?  What about diplomacy, strengthening our intelligence, and finding ways to neutralize threats without imposing our values (and bombs) on others.  Guns as a last resort, prevention and communication first.

Answering the question of "would you enlist": I would have to respectfully say no.  I think my country would be better served if I continue the work I do today of encouraging tolerance and acceptance of others through education.

I hope I don't offend anyone.  Correct me where I've been short-sighted.

Smarmy Of One

QuoteAnswering the question of "would you enlist": I would have to respectfully say no. I think my country would be better served if I continue the work I do today of encouraging tolerance and acceptance of others through education.

That is a really great point. Just because you aren't wearing khakis and carrying a machine gun, doesn't mean that you aren't already fighting for freedom and democracy.

I think the entire world would be better served if people talked AND listened more. The only real reason that the US needs a huge military industrial complex is that this is the model it has built for itself.