News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Started by Huxley, July 26, 2006, 01:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

The bible says the size of the ark...the issue is converting cubits into modern measurements since cubits weren't exactly accurate:

"Noah's Ark was taller than a 3-story building and had a deck area the size of 36 lawn tennis courts. Its length was 300 cubits (450 feet, or 135 meters); its width was 50 cubits (75 feet, or 22.5 meters); it had three stories and its height was 30 cubits (45 feet, or 13.5 meters)."

7 of each, if I remember correctly, only applies to birds and sacrificially clean animals.

LoneMateria

I thought the ship was significantly smaller.  Oh well whether they have an inch to stand still or 70% of a square foot it makes little difference.  No room to move, no suitable habitats and animals had to eat grain.  Interesting trivia with the largest ship today.  I don't remember what I was reading (it could have been in here) that you can only build a ship so large out of wood before it will literally fall apart, that is why steel is used.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Carico

Quote from: "LoneMateria"I thought the ship was significantly smaller.  Oh well whether they have an inch to stand still or 70% of a square foot it makes little difference.  No room to move, no suitable habitats and animals had to eat grain.  Interesting trivia with the largest ship today.  I don't remember what I was reading (it could have been in here) that you can only build a ship so large out of wood before it will literally fall apart, that is why steel is used.

Actually, I saw a documentary where a ship builder, eager to prove the bible wrong, calculated the dimensions of the Ark and using the materials and dimensions listed in the bible, constructed a design of the ark and was sadly surprised that not only was there enough room for the numbers of animals he could think of, but it had much room to spare. Sorry.  ;)

McQ

Quote from: "Carico"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"I thought the ship was significantly smaller.  Oh well whether they have an inch to stand still or 70% of a square foot it makes little difference.  No room to move, no suitable habitats and animals had to eat grain.  Interesting trivia with the largest ship today.  I don't remember what I was reading (it could have been in here) that you can only build a ship so large out of wood before it will literally fall apart, that is why steel is used.

Actually, I saw a documentary where a ship builder, eager to prove the bible wrong, calculated the dimensions of the Ark and using the materials and dimensions listed in the bible, constructed a design of the ark and was sadly surprised that not only was there enough room for the numbers of animals he could think of, but it had much room to spare. Sorry.  ;)

Well, since you've made this claim, I'd love to see it. Let's see the source material then. Show us the documentary. Show us the guy building the ark. Show proof of this claim.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

In addition to backing up this claim for what it is....don't you think "as many animals he could think of" is a really inaccurate means of running an experiment?

karadan

Hmm, what documentary was that please? I'd love to see it.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Renegnicat

Here's the list of animals that he could think of:

1. Dog.
2. Cat.
3. Horse.

Is that enough?
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Justme

Quote from: "LoneMateria"1,263,186 non plant species we currently have found on the earth.

I think before the flood, there have been no extinct species as god is unfailable. so all that extinction business happened after the flood and because of the flood and all the changes in the environment.

Wikipedia (sorry, it's German: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussterben) tells me, Scientists think, about 500 Mio. animal-species are vanished or, in other words, 99,9 % of all animals ever lived on earth are extinct now. How would the calculations about space requirement and so on look like in that light? (No need to actually calculate it, the results would be ridiculous.)

(Hope that question isn't already deeply discussed in earlier posts, but I think it's an important comment anyway.)
... or maybe it's just me ...

[size=85](English is my second language, so I apologize precautionally for all the errors I maybe made.)[/size]

G-Roll

Did anyone mention the amount of food that would have been needed as well? If you doubt you could fit all the animals on board, you would also need 40 days worth of supplies for all the critters. I imagine that alone would fill a boat smaller than the Titanic.

Lol:  "Where are the Algerian Wild Ass's?"
        "The lions ate him..."
        "The lions ate him? Hmmmm..."
Sorry I just had a Conan moment.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

Pineapple

I think it's funny how Christians take all of the parables in the Torah seriously. Even to most Jewish people today, those are what they are: old myths. Passing off Noah's Ark as anything more than a parable is like trying to pass off the creation of man as having been done by Prometheus.  lol

*EDIT
said Talmud, meant Torah. >_>
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
-Pythagoras

buttercupbaby

If we evolved from a lower life form, why are there still  creationists?  

some light plz

Many is laughing about the flood and the ark of Noah , and the disaster :
It is much easier to believe that  Noah carried  animals in his ark more than believing that there is no creator of heavens and earth .

if the story of Noah is true  not a myth  : are you going to believe in God ?
49. They say]

Whitney

Quote from: "some light plz"Many is laughing about the flood and the ark of Noah , and the disaster :
It is much easier to believe that  Noah carried  animals in his ark more than believing that there is no creator of heavens and earth .

if the story of Noah is true  not a myth  : are you going to believe in God ?

It is a myth so it doesn't matter (answer is no I wouldn't)...preaching is against HAF rules.  Please read the rules and stop preaching.

Mark L Holland

I believe I saw the documentary that the other person was talking about.  The ship builder though was only interested in proving whether such a ship could actually float and be safe.  He was not interested in whether the ship could carry all the animals.  His findings were that such a ship if built would be capable of floating and surviving ruff water.  It's depth in the water and buoyancy would be similar to any modern ship design.

But his study was done only in regards to the viability of the ships design not to determine if the ship was capable of carrying the numbers of animals that the unholy bible claims it carried.  C/P from my book.

Genesis 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
  Genesis 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Why the differences in the number of animals to be taken.  At first it is two sets of every species, then it’s broken down by clean and unclean animals and 7 sets of clean and 2 sets of unclean.
 :bananacolor:

Whitney

Quote from: "Mark L Holland"I believe I saw the documentary that the other person was talking about.  The ship builder though was only interested in proving whether such a ship could actually float and be safe.  He was not interested in whether the ship could carry all the animals.  His findings were that such a ship if built would be capable of floating and surviving ruff water.  It's depth in the water and buoyancy would be similar to any modern ship design.

I may have seen that show.  Even if it were big enough to carry the animals there would still be the big problem that there is no reason to think a global flood ever occurred.

If there is any truth to the Noah story it is that some guy threw some livestock into a makeshift raft during a large thunderstorm that caused major localized flooding.  Tall tales grow quickly.