News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Started by Huxley, July 26, 2006, 01:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huxley

I read somewhere (maybe McQ can confirm it) that if it had rained for 40 days and 40 nights the subsequent baric air pressure would have been totally incompatible with any airbreathing life.

Bummer.

Sorry to go ontopic again.

Court

Don't apologize for ending our derailment. :)
I'm actually intrigued...is that true?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Squid

Just having that much moisture in the atmosphere would have pressure cooked everything on the surface of the earth.  Although many proponents of the "canopy theory" ignore this little tidbit.

McQ

Quote from: "Huxley"I read somewhere (maybe McQ can confirm it) that if it had rained for 40 days and 40 nights the subsequent baric air pressure would have been totally incompatible with any airbreathing life.

Bummer.

Oops. Somehow I missed this post, Hux! Squid is right on with his response.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Aullios

Quote from: "Huxley"I read somewhere (maybe McQ can confirm it) that if it had rained for 40 days and 40 nights the subsequent baric air pressure would have been totally incompatible with any airbreathing life.

Bummer.

Actually, the cyclogenesis involved in a 40 day worldwide storm is pretty simple to figure out; that is, it couldn't happen.  Ever.

Average sea level pressure is 1012 millibars.  In order for it to rain, generally, the pressure needs to be lower than that (Low pressure/cyclone).  However, if one place has relatively low pressure, another must have relatively high pressure (the air has to go somewhere, right?).  Therefore, it's impossible to assume that it could ever rain everywhere at the same time.

Court

Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks, Aullios.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

McQ

Quote from: "Aullios"

Bummer.

Actually, the cyclogenesis involved in a 40 day worldwide storm is pretty simple to figure out; that is, it couldn't happen.  Ever.

Average sea level pressure is 1012 millibars.  In order for it to rain, generally, the pressure needs to be lower than that (Low pressure/cyclone).  However, if one place has relatively low pressure, another must have relatively high pressure (the air has to go somewhere, right?).  Therefore, it's impossible to assume that it could ever rain everywhere at the same time.

Unless God says so! LOL! (just thinking about what a fundie response to this would sound like) :-)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Aullios

Quote from: "McQ"Unless God says so! LOL! (just thinking about what a fundie response to this would sound like) :-)

Yeah... if I hadn't just thought of it off of the top of my head, I may have used it before :P

Court

McQ, I totally thought the exact same thing. "With god, anything's possible!" I would have said that back in my bible-thumping days.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

tomday

Coming back to the Noah myth, for those of you who are not aware of this site, you might enjoy checking out the following:

http://www.skepticreport.com/creationism/sillyflood.htm

G.ENIGMA

When I found this topic I thought ... Yeh !! that sound like an interesting topic...  It started of well with a good question then for the next couple of pages it got sidetracked (How? i'm not sure  :hmm:  Noahs Ark or even commissioned a task force for an operation we will call, lets say "Operation Noahs Ark (sounds good actually :hail:  can you help me out with the youtube video link please?[/b]

I have my own ideas :pop:   ...

:beer:  cheers

---
edit: when copying links from you tube, make sure to grab the link where it provides the link.  It's under that space where they usually describe the video.  You had extra characters in your link that don't work with the way I have the BBcode set up.

Btw, I also went through and cleaned up this thread by splitting all the other stuff to a new thread.
-laetus
To those who are overly cautious, everything seems impossible.

Sophus

In the Bibles version of the Great Flood I think there was only one word for land or earth in the original Hebrew context. So many Christians will argue that the flood was only for a certain area of the world.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

Quote from: "Sophus"In the Bibles version of the Great Flood I think there was only one word for land or earth in the original Hebrew context. So many Christians will argue that the flood was only for a certain area of the world.

In the past I have read some information that lead me to believe that there could have been a regional flood that occurred during that approximate time period.  It would actually make sense if they only had one word for land/earth because back then they didn't really know there was much more than what they could travel to.

Still, the exaggerations are problem for fundamentalists who want to take everything literally.  I tend to think the whole story was based on some guy in a fishing boat who loaded up animals during a big flood and it was blown into a tall tale like many other works of mythology.  

Of course, if it was just a local flood that kinda hurts the message of the story.  God would have not been getting rid of all sinful humans, just all sinful humans in that area.  God also has repeatedly caused more floods of that scale and therefore broke his promise.  So, it either needs to be taken literally for the message to hold up (in which case it fails scientific scrutiny) or as allegory and it no longer makes any sense as a teaching (other than that God gets pissed off at people, throws a temper tantrum, then regrets it.

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "laetus"---
edit: when copying links from you tube, make sure to grab the link where it provides the link.  It's under that space where they usually describe the video.  You had extra characters in your link that don't work with the way I have the BBcode set up.

Btw, I also went through and cleaned up this thread by splitting all the other stuff to a new thread.
-laetus

Thank You Very Much :hail:

[youtube:3dr57fdx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLLBD3S6yg[/youtube:3dr57fdx]

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "Sophus"In the Bibles version of the Great Flood I think there was only one word for land or earth in the original Hebrew context. So many Christians will argue that the flood was only for a certain area of the world.

Was there another version of "The Great Flood" :hmm: