News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Sitting down in front of the computer for a good portion of the day is really starting to take its toll on my body. I just came back from a 1h30 walk which was fine, but the moment I sat down the pain in my lower back flared up again. I don't know what to do. I try getting up and pacing around a bit every now and then, but it doesn't seem to be working. 

Icarus

Have you considered standing while using the computer?   There are desks and computer holders made for that purpose.  Of course a stack of books will elevate your screen as well as those fancy things do.

billy rubin

thomas wolfe used to write standing up, with his stuff on top of the refrigerator.

easier on his back, it was

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 22, 2021, 01:44:45 AM
Have you considered standing while using the computer?   There are desks and computer holders made for that purpose.  Of course a stack of books will elevate your screen as well as those fancy things do.

I think I'll give it a try.

Icarus

My computer is an old hurdy gurdyprick of misery.  It revels in antagonizing me.  Lately it has gotten into the habit of displaying the message that says: Getting Windows ready.  DO not turn off your computer. Sometimes it might take half an hour or more to "get windows ready".  That is a most annoying habit that HP and Win 10 has used to mess with a nice old guy like me.

Another annoyance goes like this............My dear wife Elaine, is the treasurer for the local Tuesday Music Club. She has successfully kept records on a flash drive, to keep it separate from the stuff she has on her own computer......  thumb drive or whatever those little doo dads are called.  Suddenly the evil little thing refuses to spool up to accept new postings or reveal any of the older records which go back three years. 

Big problem!  This music club is an old line group that has a lot of money, ( five zeros) mostly invested in the stock market.  Elaine can not produce the ordinary and usual accounting because of the damned thumb drive revolt.

For those wondering what the Music Club does with their money.......... It is used mainly to award limited scholarships for promising high school or other young musicians. College costs a plenty and the music club tries to help a bit. 

Randy

I had my caregiver, who has power of attorney, try to withdraw my funds from my 401k retirement. She has to because my voice has permanently left a couple of months ago. If I could use their website I could do it myself. I keyed in the correct username and password and it takes me to a verification page and wants to know where to send a code to a cell phone. The problem is that the phone number isn't anything I can recognize. I can't put in a correct one either.

So we spent I guess an hour and a half talking with a customer service agent. For the first fifteen to thirty minutes, I guess, we tried explaining that we couldn't log on to the website and why.

Tomorrow we've got a lot of things to do to try get at them. All the red tape that has to be cut doesn't exactly make me happy.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

my old phone was decrepit

so i bought a new one and opened a spotify account so i can listen to drcent music

no problem listening on the little phone but i cannot get the unit to connect to the high tech radio in this truck. im trying to get the app to play through tbe trucks speakers and so far it aint happening

and also ive sat on this well pad in the sun for three hours waiting to deliver my last load of hundred mesh so i can go park this thing and shut down for the night

phooey

i need a teenager

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on May 01, 2021, 11:45:24 PM
my old phone was decrepit

so i bought a new one and opened a spotify account so i can listen to drcent music

no problem listening on the little phone but i cannot get the unit to connect to the high tech radio in this truck. im trying to get the app to play through tbe trucks speakers and so far it aint happening

and also ive sat on this well pad in the sun for three hours waiting to deliver my last load of hundred mesh so i can go park this thing and shut down for the night

phooey

i need a teenager
I can't imagine what the problem could be. I've never tried to set anything up like that. Three hours in the sun in a truck must have been boring and uncomfortable. You do need a teenager!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

this morning the alarm woke me up, but i couldnt turn it off. the touch screen was inactive. cant hard boot the phone because on-off is touch screen.

afterv30 minutes the screen came to life long enough for me to press restart, and now its fine.

trying to set up voice controls as a workaround but the truck is too noisy for the phone to hear me

Tank

Quote from: Randy on April 30, 2021, 04:23:48 AM
I had my caregiver, who has power of attorney, try to withdraw my funds from my 401k retirement. She has to because my voice has permanently left a couple of months ago. If I could use their website I could do it myself. I keyed in the correct username and password and it takes me to a verification page and wants to know where to send a code to a cell phone. The problem is that the phone number isn't anything I can recognize. I can't put in a correct one either.

So we spent I guess an hour and a half talking with a customer service agent. For the first fifteen to thirty minutes, I guess, we tried explaining that we couldn't log on to the website and why.

Tomorrow we've got a lot of things to do to try get at them. All the red tape that has to be cut doesn't exactly make me happy.

Did this get resolved?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

There are two deer in the back yard
There are often deer out the back
One of them has serious antlers
I stealthily stealth camera in hand
Antler guy sees me and keeps eating
Inspired by this I prepare to write
A moose on the loose
I'd offer him a truce
He'd put his foot in my noose
An annoying green lizard'd say your noose is too loose
To where has the moose on the loose moose gawn?
A papoose points at the moose drawing away on a caboose

Fuck it, it's already done, there's a moose on the loose on Google Play

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.