News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on October 02, 2018, 12:48:35 PM
The other position should come open by the end of the week. It's a split position so I'll be both a teller and a banker to work with people when the actual banker is busy. I am way more qualified for this position than the last one, though my manager did tell me that I actually was seriously considered for the other job. I'm not too worried though. Things will work out in time.

Yes, they will :thumbsup:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Bittersweet, good/bad. My MiL comes out of rehab tomorrow, but instead of coming home, she is slated for a board and care facility. Neither my wife or I can even help her to stand up, and she can't do it on her own. Two weeks ago, she was ambulatory, could feed herself and shower on her own. All. Gone.  :( Here in the US, we're obliged to spend quite a bit of money for that care. We'll see what happens when the money runs out. One of my friends said that once people enter a facility like that, they fail rapidly. I'm not sure that he understood how bad that sounded.  :???:

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 03, 2018, 03:03:07 AM
Bittersweet, good/bad. My MiL comes out of rehab tomorrow, but instead of coming home, she is slated for a board and care facility. Neither my wife or I can even help her to stand up, and she can't do it on her own. Two weeks ago, she was ambulatory, could feed herself and shower on her own. All. Gone.  :( Here in the US, we're obliged to spend quite a bit of money for that care. We'll see what happens when the money runs out. One of my friends said that once people enter a facility like that, they fail rapidly. I'm not sure that he understood how bad that sounded.  :???:
As you say bitter sweet. Keep us posted.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 03, 2018, 07:48:40 AM
As you say bitter sweet. Keep us posted.

Yes, in life we must take the bitter with the sour.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That's not always true Fireball. Sadly it often is, but there are people who live for years, happily I might add, in a care facility. Make sure that you check on her often and keep an eye on how the staff is treating her.

I have a lot of experience with people in care facilities as my day job is in a city that functions as probably the largest retirement community in Virginia. Many of them have dedicated staff who really do care about their charges.

My advice to you would be to see if they take any of their patients for outings and find out where they go. Visit the places they go and ask how that facility treats the patients. We watch carefully and usually have a good idea how concerned a given facility is with their patients.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Bittersweet indeed, Dark Lightning. But maybe it isn't as bad as you think it might be, as JJ said.

Dark Lightning

Thanks, all! Yeah, I think that she'll be OK there, since there are people who have been there for something like 7 years.  :)

I'll find out about outings. I don't know what sort of joy she will get from them, though. She's got dementia pretty bad and couldn't tell you what she had for breakfast unless the dishes are still there.

Buddy

Someone hit my passenger side mirror and took a huge chunk of paint off.  :grrr: :waah:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Buddy on October 04, 2018, 07:09:35 PM
Someone hit my passenger side mirror and took a huge chunk of paint off.  :grrr: :waah:

...and didn't leave a note, right? So many irresponsible people in the world. I had that happen to my car (on a fender) and it was $1100. Lucky me, I only had to pay $500.  ::)

Buddy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 05, 2018, 03:07:11 AM

...and didn't leave a note, right? So many irresponsible people in the world. I had that happen to my car (on a fender) and it was $1100. Lucky me, I only had to pay $500.  ::)

They didn't leave anything. Now I need to decide whether or not to go to the dealership when I get it repaired. The car is a special edition paint job with only 250 made in the world. I want the repairs to be perfect.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Buddy on October 05, 2018, 01:55:56 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 05, 2018, 03:07:11 AM

They didn't leave anything. Now I need to decide whether or not to go to the dealership when I get it repaired. The car is a special edition paint job with only 250 made in the world. I want the repairs to be perfect.

To repaint just the mirror will probably only be about $300. Paint is stupid expensive, anymore. I have a big old orange Chevy truck. The paint alone will cost about $1500, because red and yellow to make it are the most expensive colors. That's a 2-stage catalyzed paint, which is about all we allowed to buy and use in California. It's just going to keep getting waxed and developing more patina!

Buddy

I'm going to get a quote from the dealer and if it is stupid expensive, which being BMW I expect it will be, there is a guy that was recommended to me that has a very impressive portfolio.

xSilverPhinx

My father is visiting, which means I have to put everything I have to do on hold and become a tourist guide in a city with almost no tourist attractions (I would make a lousy tourist guide -- I have no patience for that sort of thing). Visiting the same things over and over again can be very tiresome.

Let's see...

Public Market. Check. For the thousandth time.
Art museum with weird art. Check. Argh.
Seeing an Imperial coin collection at another museum. Check.
Walking downtown. One does not simply walk downtown carrying their cellphone, plenty of petty thieves roaming that area. I can't live without my cellphone. Check. 
Walking in a deserted park also full of muggers.
Going to bars in the evenings to see him drink bottle after bottle of beer.

::) Fun.

jumbojak

9:30 meeting to make for a twelve hour day at work. Yesterday was awful and today we don't even have a good manager.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Management, is an old Latin term that roughly translates to, incompetent moronic nitwits, I believe.