News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

This is my grumpy month, or is it year?

Trying to renew the Avira antivirus on my laptop, tablet and phone. Got a receipt for the fee, but I keep getting a message that my card has expired. Tablet says all three protected, laptop says only it is protected. Phone has no opinion.

The system is not intuitive, unexplained messages, instructions repeat after you carry them out making you think they did not work . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on August 23, 2018, 12:53:47 PM
This is my grumpy month, or is it year?

Trying to renew the Avira antivirus on my laptop, tablet and phone. Got a receipt for the fee, but I keep getting a message that my card has expired. Tablet says all three protected, laptop says only it is protected. Phone has no opinion.

The system is not intuitive, unexplained messages, instructions repeat after you carry them out making you think they did not work . . .

I've never paid for antivirus and I've never really had a malware issue.
I use the free version of Avast though Windows Defender might do the job
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Well, looks like I might be going back to Avast!

After instructions from Michaela at Avira to do exactly as I did before at the end of the exercuse I still get the message, "Your computer is not secure - licence expired".  Oh, an it keeps telling me my card has expired, yet the money has been withdrawn from my account.

Four times I went through the loop.

She did omit to tell me to hit one button but I worked that out on the second try. Turning the licence 'on' seems obvious. System said it was installing the update, with count down even. Only to be given the "licence expired" guff.

Have now told them to telephone me and fix it or refund my money.

Dave

Oh, dear, definitely Dave's Grumpy Month  :geezer!:

Bought an extension bellows the other week, cheapish, just to try it out. Amazon page said "for Canon/for Nikon" but, should gave been suspicious, no selection to tick. The item that arrived is clearly marked as being for a Canon only.

Asked for a refund claiming incorrect description of goods. Not apparent reply. Looking for the arbitration service found their replies - in Amazon system but never got to me.

Basically they are offering me 30% of the price and suggesting I send it to a friend.

My reply was thus:

QuoteI have not received your emails myself but have tracked them down in the Amazon system.

Your description for this item includes the words "for Nikon" when it is specifically and only intended for use on Canon cameras. Thus the item is not as described and of no use to me.

I require a full refund plus and, if you wish the item returned, a pre-paid postage label.

Failing this I will make a claim against you via the Amazon arbitration service and, regardless of outcome, will  offer the truth regarding your product and service in my review.

I have already written a review saying, "IGNORE THE 'FOR NIKON' PART" in the title.

Anyone with a Canon interested in a cheap bellows for the cost of postage if this pans out that way?

Dave

Continuing the Avira saga;

I have now been informed that my licence is about to run out.

There is also a three question survey asking why I have not renewed!

There are no big slots for free comments - lucky for them.

A suitable email has been dispatched.

Buddy

There is not enough Bailey's in my coffee to get through today.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on August 25, 2018, 02:05:32 PM

So what you really need is a little coffee in a mug full of Baileys?

There is a cheaper version over here, O'connor's Irish County Cream, £4 instead of £15, just as strong and tastes better to me. Daren't buy it, just keep drinking it, too, too more-ish!

Buddy

Quote from: Dave on August 25, 2018, 02:32:35 PM

There is a cheap version over here, £4 instead of £15, just as strong and tastes better to me. Daren't buy it, just keep drinking it, too, too more-ish!

I freaking wish. Not only do I have work but I have to rush home and get ready for a wedding of someone in my boyfriend's family. It's on his dad's side and they are, I say this in the nicest way possible, complete white trash. Pus I have a sinus infection.

Pray for me fellow heathens
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on August 25, 2018, 02:49:51 PM

There is a cheap version over here, £4 instead of £15, just as strong and tastes better to me. Daren't buy it, just keep drinking it, too, too more-ish!

I freaking wish. Not only do I have work but I have to rush home and get ready for a wedding of someone in my boyfriend's family. It's on his dad's side and they are, I say this in the nicest way possible, complete white trash. Pus I have a sinus infection.

:violin:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 25, 2018, 02:49:51 PM

I would if it worked :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Well, my first scientific congress is over, I'm back home and happy (home sweet home). That isn't a reason to be grumpy. What really left me feeling irritated and frustrated was, when I was presenting my poster to the evaluator, he just wasn't interested. He didn't even feign interest. Glancing at his watch every now and then, looking down the corridor, saying random things passersby and asking me to hurry up because he had "another 10 posters to see" left me feeling angry and frustrated. When you put so much of your energy and become emotionally invested in your project, only to have some random person dismiss it all in that way, it really sucks.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I think I might've had words with that fellow. Doing so probably wouldn't have helped my case but I'd have felt better afterwards!

I have a reason to be grumpy too. The battery cables we had made for that POS tractor are too fucking short! They had the old cables to match them with. All's they had to do was use the correct wire and the right lugs and then match them up. Why oh why didn't they match them up! >:( >:(

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Siover, you have a right to be gtupmy. If he "marks you down" on your poster can you register an official complsint regarding his behaviour? Or st least talk with your advisor sbout it?

There are, unfortunstely, self-important bastards like that in every profession.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 28, 2018, 02:28:36 AM
Siover, you have a right to be gtupmy. If he "marks you down" on your poster can you register an official complsint regarding his behaviour? Or st least talk with your advisor sbout it?

There are, unfortunstely, self-important bastards like that in every profession.

Thing is, we don't know what are marks are, they don't give us any feedback regarding our presentations or posters. I didn't officially register a complaint, a labmate and I just wrote observations in the official app for the event. I doubt it will amount to anything though. He was there evaluating posters last year, he will be there again in the next as well. I was just really unlucky.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 27, 2018, 11:13:03 PM
Well, my first scientific congress is over, I'm back home and happy (home sweet home). That isn't a reason to be grumpy. What really left me feeling irritated and frustrated was, when I was presenting my poster to the evaluator, he just wasn't interested. He didn't even feign interest. Glancing at his watch every now and then, looking down the corridor, saying random things passersby and asking me to hurry up because he had "another 10 posters to see" left me feeling angry and frustrated. When you put so much of your energy and become emotionally invested in your project, only to have some random person dismiss it all in that way, it really sucks.

Just remind him how dismissive and grumpy he was to you when you receive your Nobel prize! :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.