News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on August 04, 2017, 03:04:36 PM
That sucks. How long till you're no longer a student?

Quote from: Gloucester on August 04, 2017, 03:28:17 PM
Does this actually mean you cannot continue your studies, Fernanda - or do so on the bread-line?

I'm an undergraduate just until January, then I plan to get into a Masters program in the same university (which is, for now at least, tuition-free and one of the best in Brazil).

The money is a little extra the government pays certain students to help them initiate their scientific career, so basically I was getting paid to study and intern at a lab.

Quote from: Gloucester on August 04, 2017, 03:28:17 PM
It is about time more countries took the Cinese attitude to corruption, they have been known to execute offenders. I am not against the death penalty, where warranted. I could almost make a case to my own conscience that the millions who live in misery due to a relatively few corrupt people is adequate justification.

Yes, but I don't know, the death penalty is so final! They would make such good slaves, along with other repeat offenders. Made to work for the good of the community for once...   

QuoteThis is why I will not donate to overseas based charities without knowing the local officials get absolutely no say in how the money is hsndled and used.

Neither would I, if I had money to donate. *nervous laughter*
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 02:57:32 PM
I lost my student scholarship grant, along with all Scientific Initiation students who receive a measly amount from CNPq, the government entity that is responsible for these payments. It's broke, there's no more money with the deep recession Brazil is in and all the money these corrupt politicians keep stealing.

It wasn't much but it was my only stable ( ::) ) income.  I don't depend on that money but I know people who need it to pay rent and bills.
This is not good.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on August 04, 2017, 05:47:32 PM
I lost my student scholarship grant, along with all Scientific Initiation students who receive a measly amount from CNPq, the government entity that is responsible for these payments. It's broke, there's no more money with the deep recession Brazil is in and all the money these corrupt politicians keep stealing.

It wasn't much but it was my only stable ( ::) ) income.  I don't depend on that money but I know people who need it to pay rent and bills.

It could be worse though... at least I don't pay to finish and get a degree.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 05:58:07 PM

Um, a tad ambiguous there  there, Silver. "Don't pay . . ." Or "Don't have to pay . . ." Does this mean you do not get a degree or funding for it is paid or available?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 04, 2017, 06:08:47 PM

Um, a tad ambiguous there  there, Silver. "Don't pay . . ." Or "Don't have to pay . . ." Does this mean you do not get a degree or funding for it is paid or available?

Sorry, meant I don't pay tuition. It's a government funded university.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 06:25:08 PM

So, all you have to do is :airquotes: live?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 06:25:08 PM

It's godamn' Communism is what it is...got to get Trump to keep an eye out on these here Brazilians along with the N. Korean's and the Chinese!!

8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 04, 2017, 07:01:54 PM
So, all you have to do is :airquotes: live?

No, unfortunately that isn't enough. :P  I need to be enrolled in an accredited university, be nominated (is that the word? I'm not sure...) by a professor and intern in their lab. I'm also required to report my results and present them in a mini congress in third trimester of each year. *shudder* Public speaking is definitely one of my greatest fears.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 04, 2017, 07:20:04 PM
It's godamn' Communism is what it is...got to get Trump to keep an eye out on these here Brazilians along with the N. Korean's and the Chinese!!

8)

:lol:

I doubt Trump can point to Brazil on map, even though it's a big country.

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on August 04, 2017, 07:20:04 PM

8)

:lol:

I doubt Trump can point to Brazil on map, even though it's a big country.

"Is it that orange thing?"

"Sir you're looking in a mirror"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Truly sorry to hear that. It makes the little problem I am going to complain about pale into insignificance. I am writing this at someone else's house, since my own WiFi died two days ago. It is so frustrating, because I log on to HAF every morning to see what's new, almost like smokers do when they have their first cigarette. Now I just stare at an empty Firefox page. Remote diagnostics did not help, so they promised to send someone on Monday morning.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 05, 2017, 02:04:02 PM

Truly sorry to hear that. It makes the little problem I am going to complain about pale into insignificance. I am writing this at someone else's house, since my own WiFi died two days ago. It is so frustrating, because I log on to HAF every morning to see what's new, almost like smokers do when they have their first cigarette. Now I just stare at an empty Firefox page. Remote diagnostics did not help, so they promised to send someone on Monday morning.

No internet is right up there along with no money.  :twitch: I know I would be desperate if I had to go two days without it.

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 05, 2017, 09:08:43 PM

No internet is right up there along with no money.  :twitch: I know I would be desperate if I had to go two days without it.

I find it disconcerning that money to some people is a basic need. And that it takes precedence over all other things and sometimes food.

Money has the value people assign to it to make trade without losing other things of value. It's not a real resource without people. It's not right to consider it a gateway to basic resources like education or housing or food.

People need thise things or else they would die or the world or society would crumble. It's all necessary and to say you need to have a good life to achieve these things is barbaric.

/rant
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Money is a basic need in that it can be exchanged for the basic need of your desire, be it food, cigarettes or hookers. Especially the hookers.

In itself though, is money much more than a status symbol? "Tremble before my huge, throbbing purchasing power, mortals!" Bah! Personally, I happen not to want too many things the money I have can't buy, so shit, I give not.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

Quote from: Asmodean on August 06, 2017, 11:28:57 AM
Money is a basic need in that it can be exchanged for the basic need of your desire, be it food, cigarettes or hookers. Especially the hookers.

In itself though, is money much more than a status symbol? "Tremble before my huge, throbbing purchasing power, mortals!" Bah! Personally, I happen not to want too many things the money I have can't buy, so shit, I give not.

I feel the same way, only I do not have the money I require for such things...yet (hopefully)
     Arturo The1  リ壱