News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Grumpy at myself!

Git a good piece of thick aluminium as a freebie from tge boss of the company I used to put my engineering jobs out to when at work. It was to be a mounting plate for a jigsaw.

Carefully measured the jigsaw and sketched tge job out up in the (hot) attic. Akso ditto for my small router for future ref.

Sprayed the plate black so the scriber lines would show well and took it downstairs (cooler) to do the marking out. Part way through, after a meal, piss or phone call or something, the sketches got swapped - they both looked very similar and I did not title them. Today I drilled the holes in the saw plate - without just placing the saw on it to check for the third time . .  . Holes at the front and back perfect, side holes, more critical, 4mm too far out!!!

Fixable, if I had access to a mill or lathe to make spacers. If I can't find 8mm outside diameter washers I might end up hand filing flats on 20 larger ones, then gluing them into four lumps of five. Oh, how I miss access to a proper workshop!

And how I miss a fully functioning brain!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 10, 2017, 04:04:09 PM
Grumpy at myself!

Git a good piece of thick aluminium as a freebie from tge boss of the company I used to put my engineering jobs out to when at work. It was to be a mounting plate for a jigsaw.

Carefully measured the jigsaw and sketched tge job out up in the (hot) attic. Akso ditto for my small router for future ref.

Sprayed the plate black so the scriber lines would show well and took it downstairs (cooler) to do the marking out. Part way through, after a meal, piss or phone call or something, the sketches got swapped - they both looked very similar and I did not title them. Today I drilled the holes in the saw plate - without just placing the saw on it to check for the third time . .  . Holes at the front and back perfect, side holes, more critical, 4mm too far out!!!

Fixable, if I had access to a mill or lathe to make spacers. If I can't find 8mm outside diameter washers I might end up hand filing flats on 20 larger ones, then gluing them into four lumps of five. Oh, how I miss access to a proper workshop!

Sorry to hear about that. I am sure it will not cost too much to have it done at a machine shop that has a lathe. It will save you all the effort and frustration.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Grumpy at myself!

Could you tap the hole you drilled and install a piece of threaded rod to fill the hole? With a dab of red locktite I doubt it'd go anywhere.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2017, 05:58:30 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 09, 2017, 05:04:13 PM
Another wisdom tooth made a break for it last night.
Bummer!!!

I thought it was a cavity at first. Then I realized that a cough drop wasn't numbing it. Stuck a finger back there to feel my gum and thought I was going to scream!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 10, 2017, 06:29:26 PM
Grumpy at myself!

Could you tap the hole you drilled and install a piece of threaded rod to fill the hole? With a dab of red locktite I doubt it'd go anywhere.
Nope! The AlAl is only 4mm thick, the hole is 6mm and I had already cut the countersink, so there is less than a mm metal left. Not enough space left to get the 6mm bolt between them and can't slot them because of the countersink. Oh for a mill!

The bolts were intended to both position the base of the saw and hold down the clamping bars that pass between the blade guide and the thing that sets the bevel and at the tail end. 14mm diameter spacers would work fine, except the clamping force will now also be a greater bending force on the bar. Thus the saw would be inverted under the bench top and act like a bandsaw.

Have contacted my usual supplier to see what outside diameter range M5 and M6 washers cover, i can tap or drill out M5 if there is one suitable.

I'll sleep on it. If it does not keep me awake.

Hmm, got some 2mm steel, 3mm hardwood ply and some good epoxy adhesive. Can router the recess1mm deeper no prob. Then temporarily glue it in with double sided tape, mount the saw to be sure where the holes need to go . . .

jumbojak

If I have a piece of scrap I'd be tempted to mount an endmill in the router to see if I could get "close enough" on a spacer on the router table. It wouldn't be as accurate as a mill but I bet it'd work well enough to get you going. There are lots of guys who finish 80% lowers with a router and cheap endmills. Some even use carbide but the setup doesn't seem nearly rigid enough for that. I'd stick with HSS.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 10, 2017, 06:30:46 PM
Bummer!!!

I thought it was a cavity at first. Then I realized that a cough drop wasn't numbing it. Stuck a finger back there to feel my gum and thought I was going to scream!

Yikes!

That's I got the buggers out when they started to come. All four. Good riddance!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 10, 2017, 09:24:12 PM
If I have a piece of scrap I'd be tempted to mount an endmill in the router to see if I could get "close enough" on a spacer on the router table. It wouldn't be as accurate as a mill but I bet it'd work well enough to get you going. There are lots of guys who finish 80% lowers with a router and cheap endmills. Some even use carbide but the setup doesn't seem nearly rigid enough for that. I'd stick with HSS.

You know, I have actually been thinking if ways to mount my router, with the 6mm slot drill I just happen to have laying around, at 90degeees to the very heavy duty, very square ('cos I machined it up whilst at work) drill vice, on its side, using strips to adjust the cut depth on each sliding pass . . . Just take a thin skim off each time.

Have located and ordered some M5 by 15 by 1.5 washers, those'll be 5.5 to 5.8 ID so easy to open to exactly 6mm for a tight fit on the bolt. Should be easy to take 1mm off as a flat. But dare I try to "turn" them down using a file and the drill in its horizontal stand, with wood either side to limit and level the cut? 0.5mm accuracy is all I really need, providing that gives a little slack rather than stopping the saw base fitting.

Hmm, I can see a mount for a horizontal router being added to the list . . . Hmm, router with cutting disk against washers on bolt, in drill, counter rotating. Couple of sets of carefully mounted drawer slides and  M6 studding with its 1mm thread pitch . . .

I am working in a small attic, working floor space about 6ft by 8ft with roof trusses coming to a peak above the centre. I have learned to duck! No heavy machines, vices or hammering, the bench is a Workmate. Most things have to offer at least two uses. No room for a proper router table, that is why I am making a "clamp on" bench top, with jigsaw and router mountable on it, for the Workmate. Ingenuity is the name of the game!

But those almost three years of near immobility took it out of me both physically and mentally. At 72.8 you repair slowly.

jumbojak

Quote from: Gloucester on July 10, 2017, 10:08:28 PMShould be easy to take 1mm off as a flat. But dare I try to "turn" them down using a file and the drill in its horizontal stand, with wood either side to limit and level the cut? 0.5mm accuracy is all I really need, providing that gives a little slack rather than stopping the saw base fitting.

That really depends on the type of drill you have. If it's just a Jacobs taper like a drill press I wouldnt try it. The lateral forces on the chuck would knock it out rather quickly. Just about every homemade "milling" machine winds up the same way - with the chuck and endmill lying on the floor and the creator wondering what happened!

If there's a left hand threaded retention screw that acts almost like a drawbar though... might work. Runout would be pretty bad though and you might not wind up with a very round washer at the end.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 10, 2017, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 10, 2017, 06:30:46 PM
Bummer!!!

Yikes!

That's I got the buggers out when they started to come. All four. Good riddance!

I'm pretty tough. I'm also pretty poor so unless they get considerably worse I have to be tough...

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Reply to jumbojak diverted to "Worshop and fixt" thread in Misc.

Dave

Sorry to hear about the tooth, jumbojak, dental pain is a real bummer.

Dental care is not free here, unkess you are a kid, a pregnant woman or on benefits, but basic stuff is pretty chesp. Few years ago there was a prog on "medical fairs", travelling groups of voluntary doctors in the US, treating people for free - dental care was the most popular service.

Dave

I am wearing a medical compression stocking in my right arm, and it itches.

You might wonder why I am wearing a stocking on my arm - no I am not training to do handstands or hand walks 'cos my legs hurt when I walk. They do but...

I was put back on aspirin about a year ago, as well as warfarin. It may not be that but, for the past six months, I have suffered subcutaneous bleeding on my arms, only on the front, just below the elbow - capillary breakdown. I can find no resl reason for it being only those places, if I do bang or abrade those areas it happens, great dark red stains. But I rarely bang those areas; knees, hands, back of elbows all get the occasional hamering with no subcute bleeding.

But, occasionally, something tears the very thin skin over these places - then they bleed "supercutaneously" as well. And take ages to repair. Can't use sticking plaster if there are other bleeds nearby, pulling the plaster off takes the skin with it. I have to use low adhesion dressings and some sort of pressure bandage to hold it on and reduce the bledding. Been wearing an ankle support on my arm all day, that itches horribly. Then I rememvered the compression stockings in my medical kit, still itchy but bearable for the night I hope!

I dare not disturb the dressing, breaks the thin scab and it just starts bleeding again. Off for more dressings from the pharmacy tomorrow. Doctors and nurses have seen the subcute bleeds and made no comment but since it seems to be getting worse I am off to see the doc about it next week. And to get a prescription for the dressings! Will also ask to be taken off aspirin for a few months to see if that is the culprit. I was only put back on them as a "routine" measure, now part of the standard medication package for all AF sufferers.