News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on January 30, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
Well, my dad is intubated, so can't talk, but the doctors let him wake up today and when he started writing to get his thoughts across, he wrote "When is this fucking tube coming out". Ha ha, he's such a bad patient, but I think he'll be fine. So maybe that should go in the Reasons to be Cheerful thread.  ;D

:dance:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Wow, you had an epic weekend, Dragonia! I'm very glad to hear that your father is recovering. Well done, him!  :bravo:

. . . and a  :brava: for you.  :sidesmile:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on January 30, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
Well, my dad is intubated, so can't talk, but the doctors let him wake up today and when he started writing to get his thoughts across, he wrote "When is this fucking tube coming out". Ha ha, he's such a bad patient, but I think he'll be fine. So maybe that should go in the Reasons to be Cheerful thread.  ;D

Good, your dad's a fight, Dragonia.

But don't let him skip any meds they give him!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Tonight's pizza night so we ordered some, it took an hour and a half for the delivery boy to finally show up. We grumble but pay and the delivery boy leaves. We open the box and there's way less cheese than usual!

I know we're in the middle of a political and economic crisis and some people just want to see the world burn but when you're an hour late you had better have put the appropriate amount of cheese!

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 02, 2017, 01:34:47 AM
Tonight's pizza night so we ordered some, it took an hour and a half for the delivery boy to finally show up. We grumble but pay and the delivery boy leaves. We open the box and there's way less cheese than usual!

I know we're in the middle of a political and economic crisis and some people just want to see the world burn but when you're an hour late you had better have put the appropriate amount of cheese!

"I know we're in the middle of a political and economic crisis and some people just want to see the world burn but" you let the world fall apart when you don't put the right amount of cheese!  >:(
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 02, 2017, 04:14:18 AM
"I know we're in the middle of a political and economic crisis and some people just want to see the world burn but" you let the world fall apart when you don't put the right amount of cheese!  >:(

Yeah!  :rant1: I don't think I'll be buying more pizzas from that place any time soon. 

Well, maybe I will, it is the cheapest pizza joint around. :notsure:

Firebird

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 02, 2017, 04:53:12 PM

And now you know why ;)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on February 02, 2017, 06:51:49 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 02, 2017, 04:53:12 PM

And now you know why ;)

:lol: Yes, I found out why the hard way. All because people don't want to pay 10 bucks more for a respectable layer of cheese.

:notsure: I'm quite sure that wasn't even real cheese, but that's a story for another day.

Firebird

Good to hear! Hope he's out soon. Can't blame him for asking that either  :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Carnaval officially starts on the 25th, which means that there's going to be a lot of samba polluting the airwaves.

Recusant

I wonder if your aversion to samba is similar to the reaction I have to country music. Where I grew up, I was surrounded by it day after day and began loathing it very early on.  :???:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

My aversion to bossa nova can be explained along those lines, which is basically samba for the middle class. Almost every social gathering I can remember had BN playing.

::)

No one

A country song i wrote:

My girl, she left me. My dog, he up and died.
My 18 wheeler broke down, in this itty, bitty, little town.
My pick up truck got stolen, along with everything.
I'm only left with my guitar, and its only got 1 string.

Icarus

^ Thank you for that vid xSP. I am pleased with a lot of the BN music.  There were some  notable BN  musical  stars back in the day in the US. One of my favorites was Brasil 66. The superstar for me was Caterina Valente, a pretty young woman who was skillful with guitar and she had a marvelous voice.  Another was Astrud Gilberto, a vocalist that was good at what she did which was mostly BN and similar.  Brazil has blessed us with more than orange juice and granite kitchen counter tops.( I have some of both those in my kitchen) You have talent down there.

I am with Recusant in my general dislike of country and western, otherwise known as shit kickin' music. Sometimes referred to as goat ropen' music.  Truth to tell there is some of it that is quite good in terms of technical content. Some of the most spectacular guitarists are C&W mainstays. Chet Atkins, Roy Clark and several others are spectacularly capable musicians. I remember a Boston Pops presentation that had Roy Clark as guest artist. He may be a hill- billy but he was demonstratably excellent and tremendously entertaining with that kind of orchestra as backing. ........but rap, no thanks.  I am way out of the loop of course. Tickets to the Broadway show Hamilton are from $400 up. Mostly up. They do loosely interpreted history lessons with rap music. Go figure.

I hope that Mags is not reading this. She will rip me for dissing rap.

No one

Rap is not now, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be, music!