News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Universities are gradually being occupied again, including mine (since today), which means that it's bound to go on strike. We're so close to the holidays!  :weepy: If school activities stop now it'll stretch the semester well into December and possibly January. 

They're protesting against a new law that is being discussed in the Senate that will impact areas such as education, health services and public safety. I find it admirable, but I don't think that students occupying public schools on its own is strategically significant. Unlike ordinary strikes as it has minimal economic impact, its momentum is a little slow and it's hardly a unified movement. Instead of shutting down the university, they're just blocking access to classrooms. Just making a little noise contained within school walls.

The government is washing their hands of this "problem", saying that federal universities have their autonomy so they should solve it.  :wtf:

So, the tl;dr is I'm probably going to have to put my academic life on hold for nothing if this movement doesn't inspire - or force - other sectors to follow.     
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 08, 2016, 10:52:17 PM
Universities are gradually being occupied again, including mine (since today), which means that it's bound to go on strike. We're so close to the holidays!  :weepy: If school activities stop now it'll stretch the semester well into December and possibly January. 

They're protesting against a new law that is being discussed in the Senate that will impact areas such as education, health services and public safety. I find it admirable, but I don't think that students occupying public schools on its own is strategically significant. Unlike ordinary strikes as it has minimal economic impact, its momentum is a little slow and it's hardly a unified movement. Instead of shutting down the university, they're just blocking access to classrooms. Just making a little noise contained within school walls.

The government is washing their hands of this "problem", saying that federal universities have their autonomy so they should solve it.  :wtf:

So, the tl;dr is I'm probably going to have to put my academic life on hold for nothing if this movement doesn't inspire - or force - other sectors to follow.     

:therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 09, 2016, 03:11:15 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 08, 2016, 10:52:17 PM

:therethere:

Thanks.

Damn these conservatives in power. :sad sigh:

Tank

Trump in the White House.

And it's not just a fart it's the man!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The spokesperson for Bærumsberter everywhere. What could go wrong?

(A Bærumsberte is a young woman, usually from a somewhat wealthy family in Bærum district south of Oslo, recognisable by the distinctive bright orange skin colour and hair tint)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 09, 2016, 12:50:03 PM

(A Bærumsberte is a young woman, usually from a somewhat wealthy family in Bærum district south of Oslo, recognisable by the distinctive bright orange skin colour and hair tint)
I'm glad you explained that  :grin:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

They also ALL think they are hot, brilliant and fantastic in every respect. All of them. They are Donald Trump, only with she-boobs.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

I feel sick to my stomach. As bad as trump is, I actually fear Pence more.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Harmonie

Quote from: Buddy on November 09, 2016, 04:35:07 PM
I feel sick to my stomach. As bad as trump is, I actually fear Pence more.

I fear both, I fear everything, now, in fact.

On the forefront you have Trump who is unapologetically sexist, racist, bigoted in pretty much every way. And America voted for him to be president. You know, as opposed to a candidate like Cruz who believed in very toxic policies against women, LGBT people, etc. BUT knew he had to wrap it all in a loving package, because someone who comes as blatantly hateful in this day and age couldn't possibly win the presidency... Right?

...Now we know that's wrong. And it's the scariest thing ever. I could forgive people for voting for other Republican candidates no matter how toxic I saw them as, because I knew that candidates like Cruz could fool people with their "nice" facade, but with Trump there is nothing. There is nothing to comfort me.

Last night I learned just how deep sexism, racism, bigotry runs in the USA. I'm more terrified and devastated than I am currently "grumpy", I suppose if I'm grumpy about anything, it's the people spouting out any variation of these statements:

1. "Don't worry, it's all in God's hands." No, no, no. This is in OUR hands. There is no God to help us.
2. "People are always so happy for Democracy, until their candidate doesn't win" (I've never spoken for Democracy either way, and... Hello, Clinton won the popular vote last time I checked. This is NOT a democracy, so that argument is completely bunk)
3. "Lets all join together and sing kumbaya, everything will be okay!" I will not sing kumbaya (forgive me I spelled it wrong). I will not accept Trump as the POTUS. I do not believe that everything is okay. This was not a respectable election. Trump is the antithesis of the America I was raised to believe in. I will not silence myself.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Guardian85

For English language reference see "bimbo" and "valley girl".

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 09, 2016, 09:09:41 PM

Essex Girl.

Guardian85

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 07, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 07, 2016, 07:18:06 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on November 07, 2016, 04:16:32 PM
My car caught fire this morning.
While trying to start it after a night shift at the dorm I think something shorted out in the engine compartment. After refusing to start smoke started coming out from under the bonnet. Opened it, and saw a merry little flame dancing around down there, right around the starter. Being well versed in this sort of emergency I got the fire extinguisher and killed it before it could escalate, but the car is dead for now. Waiting for tomorrow to hear what the people at the garage need to do to resurrect it.
That thing's an Fing money pit!
Oh yeah! There is an oil leak to be sorted and a busted hand brake as well. Seriously considering acquiring alternate transportation and either parting it out or scrapping it. Three major blow-ups in three weeks is my limit. Particularly when one of those blow-ups is of the fire and smoke variety!

This post might not belong in this thread, but I put it here for context.
I sold the flaming mess! Managed to sell it, very quickly to a fellow who thought he could fix it up on his own time. Eastern European migrant worker by the look and sound of him. Gave me 8500NOK for it. Minus a bit to get the paperwork sorted and it is still decent money for a car that doesn't run and sometimes explodes a little. And Monday I'm going to go look at a new one.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Davin

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 11, 2016, 05:38:22 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on November 07, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 07, 2016, 07:18:06 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on November 07, 2016, 04:16:32 PM
My car caught fire this morning.
While trying to start it after a night shift at the dorm I think something shorted out in the engine compartment. After refusing to start smoke started coming out from under the bonnet. Opened it, and saw a merry little flame dancing around down there, right around the starter. Being well versed in this sort of emergency I got the fire extinguisher and killed it before it could escalate, but the car is dead for now. Waiting for tomorrow to hear what the people at the garage need to do to resurrect it.
That thing's an Fing money pit!
Oh yeah! There is an oil leak to be sorted and a busted hand brake as well. Seriously considering acquiring alternate transportation and either parting it out or scrapping it. Three major blow-ups in three weeks is my limit. Particularly when one of those blow-ups is of the fire and smoke variety!

This post might not belong in this thread, but I put it here for context.
I sold the flaming mess! Managed to sell it, very quickly to a fellow who thought he could fix it up on his own time. Eastern European migrant worker by the look and sound of him. Gave me 8500NOK for it. Minus a bit to get the paperwork sorted and it is still decent money for a car that doesn't run and sometimes explodes a little. And Monday I'm going to go look at a new one.
I hope you have better luck with your next one.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on November 09, 2016, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on November 09, 2016, 09:09:41 PM

Essex Girl.
Yes, more that. A bimbo in Norwegian is... Bimbo.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

My main computer just shut down, just like that.