News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 01:22:06 PM
Quote from: Buddy on August 01, 2016, 12:51:08 PM
Well I got passed over for a promotion at work because my supervisor didn't want another woman on day shift. I'm so close to quitting.
Is your super male or female, Buddy?

Older male.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on August 01, 2016, 01:34:52 PM
Well I got passed over for a promotion at work because my supervisor didn't want another woman on day shift. I'm so close to quitting.

Older male.

In that case I am ashamed that such dinosaurs still exist in my gender!

Any manager who does not judge on merit alone is not qualified to be in that position,
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Siz

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 01:46:31 PM

Older male.

Any manager who does not judge on merit alone is not qualified to be in that position,

What if the manager has acknowledged that pandering to customer prejudice is more profitable?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Magdalena

That's not right, Buddy:( It doesn't even make sense.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Siz on August 01, 2016, 02:11:30 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 01:46:31 PM

Older male.

What if the manager has acknowledged that pandering to customer prejudice is more profitable?
I see where you are going there, Siz, difficult to say that one has the wrong kind of customers! Though such exist in my experience! But, in my book, a competent manager should be able to make a case for better customer service sith the right staff in the right positions. But very, very few will stick to that if they have a lousy, prejuduced, manager above them.

There will, unfortunately, always be prejudice.

Buddy

We don't even have customers. It's a horse barn ffs. The only prejudiced one is my shitty supervisor
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Siz

Quote from: Buddy on August 01, 2016, 02:27:52 PM
We don't even have customers. It's a horse barn ffs. The only prejudiced one is my shitty supervisor

Then he's a cunt.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Dave

Quote from: Siz on August 01, 2016, 02:46:22 PM
Quote from: Buddy on August 01, 2016, 02:27:52 PM

Then he's a cunt.

You're wrong there, Siz, cunts are useful and valuable!

Even turds are better rhan this guy, easy to flush off.

Asmodean

You know, I'm on both sides of the table on this issue, and for one simple reason.

In Norway, many larger businesses are required to have a certain percentage of women on the board of directors, in management positions and so on. Fuck that. You let me hire whoever I find most qualified for the job and most capable of tolerating me, regardless of the shape of their genitals, or I might just not hire any one at all.

When actual discrimination is taking place, yes, something ought to be done. The way our government seems to "solve" the problem, however... I'm surprised we are not mandated to hire a certain percentage of ex cons and heroin addicts, because they are people too.

Well, I would not hire anybody for any position because he/she/other was "a person too." Among the applicants, are you the candidate with the best combination of qualifications, experience, personality and motivation for the job? Yes? Welcome! No? Another time, perhaps. /end of consideration.

/end of rant
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on August 01, 2016, 03:34:34 PM
You know, I'm on both sides of the table on this issue, and for one simple reason.

In Norway, many larger businesses are required to have a certain percentage of women on the board of directors, in management positions and so on. Fuck that. You let me hire whoever I find most qualified for the job and most capable of tolerating me, regardless of the shape of their genitals, or I might just not hire any one at all.

When actual discrimination is taking place, yes, something ought to be done. The way our government seems to "solve" the problem, however... I'm surprised we are not mandated to hire a certain percentage of ex cons and heroin addicts, because they are people too.

Well, I would not hire anybody for any position because he/she/other was "a person too." Among the applicants, are you the candidate with the best combination of qualifications, experience, personality and motivation for the job? Yes? Welcome! No? Another time, perhaps. /end of consideration.

/end of rant

I think that is a vote for "Personal qualities and qualifications trump gender, culture,, ethnicity, social origin . . ." ?

If so I agree, not a fan of "positive discrimination", it can produce negative results, for all concerned, in the final outcome.

Very much in favour if "blind" judgement of CVs/resumés, for new posts, with written assesments before candidate is even named or seen. In tbe case of promotions, not so easy I fear.

This is another sickness that afflicts most political parties.

Asmodean

Exactly. I don't want to see a picture of you before the interview, I don't care about your facial tattoos or perkiness of your boobs. When hiring, I am ethically obligated to act as a fiduciary of sorts for the company, and that's all there is.

I must admit though, that people making MY decisions for me... Well, it just rubs me the wrong way.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on August 01, 2016, 04:09:33 PM
Exactly. I don't want to see a picture of you before the interview, I don't care about your facial tattoos or perkiness of your boobs. When hiring, I am ethically obligated to act as a fiduciary of sorts for the company, and that's all there is.

I must admit though, that people making MY decisions for me... Well, it just rubs me the wrong way.

How did you know my boobs are perky!?

It's that damn Spironolactone/Aldactone, causes gynaecomastia in men.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

Guess some people don't recognize a good thing when it's right in front of them.  :-\

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-