News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Magdalena on May 10, 2016, 09:23:16 PM
On Mother's Day I got beautiful flowers, a nice bottle of wine,
and my period.

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Hardvark

My wife has gone out tonight with an old friend from school, I really don't like her old school friend, to be quite honest she is a slapper and I have never liked her, my wife likes her and says I should like her for who she is.. waiting for them to get in @ could this be the night you ditch your friend. com.

Tank

Quote from: Hardvark on May 14, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
My wife has gone out tonight with an old friend from school, I really don't like her old school friend, to be quite honest she is a slapper and I have never liked her, my wife likes her and says I should like her for who she is.. waiting for them to get in @ could this be the night you ditch your friend. com.
Well what happened then?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on May 15, 2016, 10:00:38 AM
Quote from: Hardvark on May 14, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
Well what happened then?

What's a slapper?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

I was minding my own damned business, actually reading posts on HAF when Wham Bam Thank You Maam, Microsoft seized my computer. It gleefully announced that it was installing Windows10. I had repeatedly told MS I did not want Win10. I am having enough trouble with 8.1. I tried to stop the enforced download. I even shut the machine off. Soon as I turned it back on the download picked up where it left off.

The download took hours, I went to bed. Next day the freakin' machine would not let me access the internet. It demanded to know the system password. I gave the nosey bastard the correct password and it told me...."sorry Charlie not a valid password". After trying several passwords used elsewhere it told me to go to accountlive.com/password/reset. How in hell could I do that if internet access is denied.  ........I am not making this up.  This morning 48 hours later, I turned the miserable box on. Well WTF, it let me have access to the internet. I used to use Internet Explorer but now it is called Edge and it does not look or perform as before. It is painfully slower than my previous IE which itself was none to quick.

Now I am going to have to spend a hundred dollars or so to have some computer geek fix or remove all the useless detritus that 10 brought with it. More than that I will have to buy a damned book that tells me how to navigate through the infernal new operating system. Probably another $30 . I am not a happy camper. 

Firebird

Quote from: Icarus on May 15, 2016, 06:21:40 PM
I was minding my own damned business, actually reading posts on HAF when Wham Bam Thank You Maam, Microsoft seized my computer. It gleefully announced that it was installing Windows10. I had repeatedly told MS I did not want Win10. I am having enough trouble with 8.1. I tried to stop the enforced download. I even shut the machine off. Soon as I turned it back on the download picked up where it left off.

The download took hours, I went to bed. Next day the freakin' machine would not let me access the internet. It demanded to know the system password. I gave the nosey bastard the correct password and it told me...."sorry Charlie not a valid password". After trying several passwords used elsewhere it told me to go to accountlive.com/password/reset. How in hell could I do that if internet access is denied.  ........I am not making this up.  This morning 48 hours later, I turned the miserable box on. Well WTF, it let me have access to the internet. I used to use Internet Explorer but now it is called Edge and it does not look or perform as before. It is painfully slower than my previous IE which itself was none to quick.

Now I am going to have to spend a hundred dollars or so to have some computer geek fix or remove all the useless detritus that 10 brought with it. More than that I will have to buy a damned book that tells me how to navigate through the infernal new operating system. Probably another $30 . I am not a happy camper.

Huh, that just happened on my wife's computer too. Worst part was that she was in the middle of writing the final exam for her class and hadn't saved recently when it suddenly came to life and started installing, so it cost her a few hours of work. Real pisser.
Anyway, I've been using it for a few months as an upgrade for 7 and it's not too different, but some of the native apps that get added are still broken for me. I haven't bothered trying to fix them yet. I would definitely look over this article to see how to turn off their cloud stuff if you're privacy-minded like me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Velma

One of my favorite bookstores was having a tent sale this weekend. We've been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks. We get there and I can't get in the tent because I have to use a walker and the aisles are far too narrow. :(
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Velma

Stupid, stupid, stupid. D**n Workers' Compensation case manager is insisting that I have my knee surgery done by the doctor I saw for less than five minutes to get my second opinion. I don't want him to do the surgery. I have build up a very good relationship with the first doctor and would be far more comfortable and happier with him doing the surgery.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tom62

Last Thursday, I slipped and fell down the stairs. Nothing broken, but a couple of blood vessels (my left buttock is dark purple) and my pride.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Velma

Ouch, Tom62! Hope that is all it is. Feel better soon.

So, after an extended exchange of emails with the Workers' Comp case manager, I had to give in and agree to surgery with the doctor I went to see for a second opinion (Dr. C). However, when I called them today to set up surgery, they were surprised that the insurance had chosen them to do the surgery. The assumption was always that the first doctor I saw (Dr. H) about my knee was going to do the surgery. Dr. C's office is going to call the insurance company. I got the impression that Dr. C didn't want to do it since he only saw me for a few minutes to give a thumbs up or down to Dr. H's opinion. Hopefully, I will get my wish and Dr. H will be doing the surgery.

Crow

Retired member.

Recusant

Quote from: Crow on May 17, 2016, 09:05:06 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on May 15, 2016, 05:43:38 PM
What's a slapper?

A whore who doesn't get paid.

Good answer.  :sidesmile:

I looked into the etymology of "slapper" and found a very interesting (though inconclusive) discussion on the English Language & Usage Stack Exchange.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Charlie wouldn't start this morning.  :'(
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on May 19, 2016, 10:50:04 AM
Charlie wouldn't start this morning.  :'(
If we didn't know you had a car called Charlie that would be more upsetting than it is!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.