News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Now it is Wednesday evening and the news is that Kasich is also packing it in. That leaves The Donald as the only GOP candidate. This whole scenario is getting "curiouser and curiouser".   

Biggus Dickus

Future historians will look back and refer to this period as the beginning of the "Dark Years"...

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Dark ages indeed. Possibly going global.

A creatard is probably going to be the new minster of science and technology in Brazil. More like a reason to fear for the future.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Why the fuck is there gospel karaoke going on while people are taking their finals? Seriously I'm trying to study and it's loud as fuck.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

They don't want educated people, because the ignorant are easier to trick.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 05, 2016, 04:45:07 PM
Why the fuck is there gospel karaoke going on while people are taking their finals? Seriously I'm trying to study and it's loud as fuck.

I've never heard (Thankfully) of "Gospel Karaoke" Budd, pray tell what is it? (Indiana is strange)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Velma

Today I had my annual eye exam. Thought I would save money by just getting new lenses for the frames I already have. The lenses alone were over $400.

After the eye exam and price gouging for my lenses, we went to Half-Price Books. It is a bookstore chain here in the US where you can both buy books and sell your old books - although "sell your books" is a phrase I do not comprehend. Apparently someone had some books to sell. The books had been tossed willy-nilly into a large basket, smashing covers and crumbling pages. Why would you do that to books at any time, much less books you are hoping someone will give you money for? After the first brief glance, I had to look away.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on May 06, 2016, 10:54:34 PM
Today I had my annual eye exam. Thought I would save money by just getting new lenses for the frames I already have. The lenses alone were over $400.
Wow! I thought the $80.00 I payed for my reading glasses was too much!  :o

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

Quote from: Magdalena on May 06, 2016, 11:00:11 PM
Wow! I thought the $80.00 I payed for my reading glasses was too much!  :o
Lightweight, progressive lenses with antiglare coating are not cheap. The progressive lenses are what really got me. That alone was $187. However, it was that or traditional bifocals. You do pay a premium for vanity.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

After the eye exam and price gouging for my lenses, we went to Half-Price Books. It is a bookstore chain here in the US where you can both buy books and sell your old books - although "sell your books" is a phrase I do not comprehend. Apparently someone had some books to sell. The books had been tossed willy-nilly into a large basket, smashing covers and crumbling pages. Why would you do that to books at any time, much less books you are hoping someone will give you money for? After the first brief glance, I had to look away.
Anti-intellectuals who don't like that fancy book-learnin'.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Essie Mae

That reminds me about a tutor at uni who was shocked to see some of us annotating our text books, and highlighting passages. He seemed to think books were sacred and not to be defaced in any way. I can understand that, but in that case, the books had to be functional.  Was I a total Philistine?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Velma

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 06, 2016, 11:28:10 PM
That reminds me about a tutor at uni who was shocked to see some of us annotating our text books, and highlighting passages. He seemed to think books were sacred and not to be defaced in any way. I can understand that, but in that case, the books had to be functional.  Was I a total Philistine?
No. That is completely different. Highlighting and annotating are part of the learning process. It serves a purpose.

Philistines are those who think so litte of books that they causally damage or destroy them for no reason at all.

Icarus

Velma find another source for your lenses.  The lens people are uniformly greedy but $400 is off the deep end.

xSilverPhinx

I only had a one day weekend this week, and it'll be the same next week too.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

I've decided to say screw keeping the peace and rip my cousin a new one for continuously making stupid sexis posts on Facebook.

Pray for me.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.