News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 22, 2016, 03:50:50 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 22, 2016, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 21, 2016, 02:32:56 PM
I accidentally took two of my adderal and now I feel like I'm going to die.

Did you die Bud? Are you still here with us? Here in the house of Happy Atheists, full of mirth and laughter, cheer and goodwill.

That's good Bud; although the House of Happy Atheists seems less full of mirth, laughter, cheer and goodwill these days.

I detect an under-current running in the shallows, like a riptide, waiting to pull some unfortunate souls out into the deep, deep waters. Shudder.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Velma

So my sister-in-law just posted a transphobic/homophobic rant. I'd unfriend her or respond (leading her to unfriend me), but if I did, I would never get to see pictures of my niece again. Wonder if I could get away with pointing out that christians seem very obsessed with other people's genitalia for followers of a man who never mentioned such?
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on April 23, 2016, 04:14:14 AM
So my sister-in-law just posted a transphobic/homophobic rant. I'd unfriend her or respond (leading her to unfriend me), but if I did, I would never get to see pictures of my niece again. Wonder if I could get away with pointing out that christians seem very obsessed with other people's genitalia for followers of a man who never mentioned such?
You remember all too well what it was like to be under the thrall of the Christian meme. Let her rant she's not in a place to listen. Maybe one day she will be. She could be a lost cause but your niece may very well need her rational aunty in future.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on April 23, 2016, 07:21:45 AM
Quote from: Velma on April 23, 2016, 04:14:14 AM
You remember all too well what it was like to be under the thrall of the Christian meme. Let her rant she's not in a place to listen. Maybe one day she will be. She could be a lost cause but your niece may very well need her rational aunty in future.
You, once again, are very right!.  :hug:

Now something that makes me grumpy: Apparently, the reason Prince's plane had to make an emergency landing a few days before his death was because he had overdosed on Percocet, a prescription pain medication containing oxycodone and Tylenol. Thank you very NOT for perpetuating the myth that all people who take prescription pain medications become addicts, Prince! It is already to the point here in the US that my primary care doctor was afraid to prescribe 15 Vicodin to me to carry me over when my orthopedist was out of the office recently and couldn't renew my prescription - and I'm walking around with a broken knee and have x-rays, an MRI, and a CT scan to prove it! Chronic pain patients were already being subjected to contracts, on-demand pill counts, piss tests, and pharmacists deciding out of the blue not to fill their prescriptions. This F***ing War On Drugs has now become a war on people suffering with pain!
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

OldGit

I told them in the hospital: the more pills they give me, the worse I get.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Velma on April 23, 2016, 07:39:26 AM

Now something that makes me grumpy: Apparently, the reason Prince's plane had to make an emergency landing a few days before his death was because he had overdosed on Percocet, a prescription pain medication containing oxycodone and Tylenol. Thank you very NOT for perpetuating the myth that all people who take prescription pain medications become addicts, Prince!

I understand your reason for being grumpy but I think it's a little harsh to blame Prince (and others) for this.  Addiction is as much of an illness as a physical pain causing one, sure the type of pain is different but mental illnesses can be devastating to life too. 

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 23, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

Now something that makes me grumpy: Apparently, the reason Prince's plane had to make an emergency landing a few days before his death was because he had overdosed on Percocet, a prescription pain medication containing oxycodone and Tylenol. Thank you very NOT for perpetuating the myth that all people who take prescription pain medications become addicts, Prince!

I understand your reason for being grumpy but I think it's a little harsh to blame Prince (and others) for this.  Addiction is as much of an illness as a physical pain causing one, sure the type of pain is different but mental illnesses can be devastating to life too.

As an recovering alcoholic I have to be very careful taking any type of possible addicting medications. I have heard too many stories of alcoholics who never abused any type of drug other than alcohol before, getting addicted to pain medications.
So I need to ensure that a my doctor(s) are aware of my past history of abuse with alcohol, that if possible the doctor gives me the least potent and addictive prescription possible, or prescribes a non-opiate alternative instead if available, and that I only take as prescribed,  that if my pain increases I call my doctor rather than just taking more medicine, etc...

I do feel and understand your discomfort and anger Velma which comes from the stigmatism people ascribe to those who are on pain meds, or even using alternative drugs (Such as marijuana) to treat chronic pain.
Some people assume that because I was an alcoholic that I must have done some rather horrible things, or drank on the job, and drove drunk all the time which I never did.

I have used potent pain meds before in the past, and I understand how vital it is to leading some semblance of a normal life when you are under pain management, so keep your chin up and take care Velma.

Edited 1x fro grammer

Velma

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 23, 2016, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 23, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

As an recovering alcoholic I have to be very careful taking any type of possible addicting medications. I have heard too many stories of alcoholics who never abused any time of drug other than alcohol before getting addictive to pain medications.
So I need to ensure that a my doctor(s) are aware of my past history of abuse with alcohol, that if possible the doctor gives me the least potent and addictive prescription possible, or prescribes a non-opiate alternative instead if available, and that I only take as prescribed,  that if my pain increases I call my doctor rather than just taking more medicine, etc...

I do feel and understand your discomfort and anger Velma which comes from the stigmatism people ascribe to those who are on pain meds, or even using alternative drugs (Such as marijuana) to treat chronic pain.
Some people assume that because I was an alcoholic that I must have done some rather horrible things, or drank on the job, and drove drunk all the time which I never did.

I have used potent pain meds before in the past, and I understand how vital it is to leading some semblance of a normal life when you are under pain management, so keep your chin up and take care Velma.
Thanks. I know that addiction is a terrible disease. I also know that, all too often, prescription pain medications were far too readily available. However, few chronic pain patients become addicted. They are just another tool in our arsenal that allows us to lead some semblance of a normal life. Few medical personnel would think of denigrating someone who used anti-anxiety medication to function or telling them to just "suck it up and live with it." Yet, quite a few feel free to negatively comment on those who need pain medication to function. It is easy to start feeling like a pariah.

Biggus Dickus

I have to go to my niece's Catholic Confirmation today...

I love my niece, and it will be nice to be with the familia, and after the ceremony we are going out to eat at a nice restaurant, butt...

I have to go to my niece's Catholic Confirmation today, and sit through the mass, and keep my tongue in check, so I will need to be on my best behavior.

Wish me luck.

Plus it's a beautiful day outside today, and to have to spend it inside a church is intolerable, especially when I could be biking with friends.

Biggus Dickus

I'm in the church right now listening to the Bishop speak.

He's really boring, butt he has this really cool staff.

Like Gandalf....Shhhh got to go.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 24, 2016, 08:26:12 PM
I'm in the church right now listening to the Bishop speak.

He's really boring, butt he has this really cool staff.

Like Gandalf....Shhhh got to go.

Bruno, stop inhaling the incense!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Quote from: BrunoHe's really boring, butt he has this really cool staff.

"The staff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age."  Tolkien

Tank

O, the wizard's staff had a knob on the end.
    It does! It does!
    O, the wizard's staff has a knob on the end.
    It does!
    O, the wizard's staff has a knob on the end
    And the wizard's staff is the wizard's friend.
    It is! It is!

O, the wizard's staff is long and hard.
    It is! It is!
    O, the wizard's staff is long and hard.
    It is!
    O, the wizard's staff is long and hard;
    And the wizard plays with it in his yard.
    He does! He does!

O, the wizard's staff proves he's a man.
    It does! it does!
    It does!
    he gripes it firmly in his hand.
    he does! He does!

wizard staff magic is all hand play.
    I see! I see!
    Wizard staff magic is all hand play.
    I see!
    Wizard staff magic is all hand play.
    he works it first this; and then thataway.
    I see!

Wizard staff magic works up a sweat.
    It does! it does!
    It does!
    It's potent magic, you can bet.
    It is! It is!

The staff goes in and then goes out!
    In! Out! In! Out!
    The staff goes in and then goes out!
    In! Out!
    The staff goes in and then goes out.
    Tighten the hand and start to shout!
    In! Out! In! Out!

I know! I know!
    O, the wizard's staff has a know on the end.
    I know!
    It's long, and wooden and tends to bend.
    I know! I know!

O, the Archchancellor's staff is longest of all.
    He claims! He claims!
    He claims!
    When he takes a shower, his staff's in the hall!
    he claims! He claims!

The Archchancellor's staff goes 'round and 'round.
    Around! Around!
    Around!
    That's why wizards don't teach while sitting down.
    Sci down! Sit Down!

The wizard's staff! Long may it wave!
    Back 'n' forth! Back 'n' forth!
    Back 'n' forth!
    he'll carry it proudly to his grave!
    He will! He Will!

O, the wizard's staff has enormous reach. - 1
    Yards long! Yards long!
    O, the wizard's staff has enormous reach.
    Yards long!
    O, the wizard's staff has enormous reach
    It searches for a bottom like a peach.
    A peach! A peach!

O, the wizard's staff is fond of nuts.
    In trees! In trees!
    o, the wizard's staff is fond of nuts.
    In trees!
    The wizard's staff is fond of nuts;
    Hard and prickly and nice soft butts.
    In the trees? In the trees?

But the wizard's staff is a maid's delight. - 2
    Oh, no! Oh, no!
    But the wizard's staff is a maid's delight.
    Oh, no!
    But the wizard's staff is a maid's delight.
    For maidens and wizards come out at night.
    Oh, yes! Oh, yes!

O, the wizard's staff staff rises to the call.
    It does! it does!
    O, the wizard's staff rises to the call it does.
    O, the wizard's staff rises to the call,
    When the maiden, she wear nothing at all.
    It does! It does!

When a naked maiden takes a stand,
    And she will! She will!
    When a naked maiden takes a stand,
    And she will!
    When a naked maiden takes a stand.
    The staff says: "To hell your your right hand."
    It will! it will!

O, the staff goes in and then goes out. - 3
    In! Out! In! Out!
    O, the staff goes in and then goes out.
    In! Out!
    O, the staff goes in and then goes out
    Spread things up and start to shout!
    In! Out!

Well, the maiden's child has a wizard's staff.
    I saw! I saw!
    Well, the maiden's child has a wizard's staff,
    I saw!
    Well, the maiden's child has a wizard's staff
    After all he's a real son-of-a-staff.
    Poor thing! Poor thing!

O, the wizard's staff has a knob on the end. - 4
    It does! It does!
    It does!
    And the wizard's staff is the wizard's friend.
    It is! It is!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant