News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 19, 2016, 01:28:54 AM
There's a raccoon dying next to my shed and the town animal control doesn't give a shit because it hasn't bit anyone.

Which makes me both sad - I fucking love raccoons, they're nature's adorable assholes - and angry, because we're really gonna let a diseased raccoon wander around a neighborhood since it hasn't bitten anyone yet? And he's almost certainly going to be dead next to my barn tomorrow, so now how, exactly, am I supposed to deal with a diseased dead raccoon rotting next to my barn?

Apparently when I'm both sad and angry they mesh into grumpy.
Don't suppose you have a firearm, do you? Might be a kindness to put it out of its misery.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 19, 2016, 01:59:22 AM
We only have a half acre... No real woods, and nowhere far enough away that we won't smell it decomposing. I just don't want to end up rabies contaminated again. Been down that road. No fun.

Put it in a trash bag and drop it off at the animal control headquarters. Several trash bags if you don't have a pickup truck. Leave a note on the bag, just to be snarky and use a pair of sticks to avoid touching the coon...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

We only have a half acre... No real woods, and nowhere far enough away that we won't smell it decomposing. I just don't want to end up rabies contaminated again. Been down that road. No fun.

Oh crap PC, how did you get contaminated with rabies, did you go through prophylaxis treatment?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Asmodean

The Asmo's bio warfare flying ratties have long been suspected of contaminating stuff with rabies, but He denies it, so perhaps not...  :o
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

I'm getting seriously annoyed over this house purchase.  Last week we were told that all can go ahead when the buyer's solicitor gets a certain letter.  This she has now got, but she still won't proceed because of two issues which we thought had been cleared up before Christmas.  It seems she's deliberately stalling, but we can't see why.  Steam is now issuing from my ears and nostrils. >:(

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2016, 02:11:56 PM
The Asmo's bio warfare flying ratties have long been suspected of contaminating stuff with rabies, but He denies it, so perhaps not...  :o

Here's some interesting information on his Greyships minions and rabies.

Bats

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 19, 2016, 01:37:41 PM

Oh crap PC, how did you get contaminated with rabies, did you go through prophylaxis treatment?

My first dog was a Beagle/Springer mix. She would track and hold anything, for any length of time. A raccoon wandered into our garage around 2PM, which of course she flushed out and fought back into her crate. Because raccoons are nasty motherfuckers who don't run. My dad grabbed a broom and closed the crate while I dragged her back. She had several punctures, scratches and was absolutely covered in saliva. We called animal control, which was still a run around if I remember correctly, and it did test positive for rabies. If we'd had any open skin - even a hangnail - we could have been infected touching her. We all did the full vaccine series. They don't hurt as bad some people say. They aren't in your abdomen anymore. But each one hurts a bit more than the last and it's a pain in the balls to keep going back to the hospital.

Anyway... Present day raccoon is still there. Or was, when I left for work. He looked more alert but hadn't moved at all. I've been calling around to wildlife non-profits but I'm not home today so that's a problem. The town IS supposed to deal with this, so wildlife rescue is trying to pull a "get off your asses, dickbags" for me. I specifically reported labored breathing and lack of reaction.

Biggus Dickus

So whatever happened to your friend the raccoon PC?

I did the weirdest thing tonight, in fact it's the second time this week I've done something absentmindedly. Monday driving home from work I completely miss my turnoff from one freeway to the other, something I've never done before, and it takes me a while to even notice I'm on the wrong freeway headed toward downtown Detroit. By the time I do realize that I'm headed the wrong way it's too late for me to turn around, ends up taking me almost 30 minutes longer to get home.

Tonight I get home from the grocery store and after I finish unpacking my groceries I pour my self a half glass of raw juice, which I normally cut with some coconut water because it is too sweet. I open the refrigerator to grab a small carton of the coconut water, but instead grab a container of chicken broth.

Same type of plastic top, but much larger and different shaped container, and not only do I pour the broth in my glass, but return the container to the refrigerator, and then start drinking the juice/broth....I thought the juice had gone bad or something, tasted horrible.

Got to figure out what the hell these cobwebs are doing in my head, or at least how to clean them out.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

Quote from: OldGit on January 19, 2016, 03:19:44 PM
I'm getting seriously annoyed over this house purchase.  Last week we were told that all can go ahead when the buyer's solicitor gets a certain letter.  This she has now got, but she still won't proceed because of two issues which we thought had been cleared up before Christmas.  It seems she's deliberately stalling, but we can't see why.  Steam is now issuing from my ears and nostrils. >:(

Feel for you OG - the not knowing what is behind all this stalling is just as bad as the actual problem.  Is there any possibilty that you might lose the house you are moving into?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Pasta Chick

The raccoon was removed by Animal Rescue League of Boston on Wednesday afternoon, who brought it to Tufts Wildlife Clinic where it was deemed "neurological" and euthanized. Obviously an animal can present with neurological symptoms for a number of reasons. Since I have dogs on the property, do not keep my eyes on them every second they are outdoors, and do not know when the raccoon arrived (I found it Monday at 4pm) it was sent out for rabies testing. Supposedly this process takes 24 hours and they only call if there is a positive. So I should have heard back on Friday if there was cause for concern. I'm hoping there truly isn't, and the results didn't get bogged down and now everyone is away for the weekend.

Regardless, my gut is that it wasn't rabies. I don't feel like a small animal would survive 2+ days exposed in sub freezing temps with high wind chill, so sick it couldn't move, if it were rabid. And if it were, I'm 99.9% sure my dogs did not make contact. They would have ripped him through the fence if they got that close. They've done it before. They were also running to the closest point at the fence that they could see the raccoon, which those of you familiar with dogs know they will do rather than takin a long way round even if it means ultimately getting closer to their goal. Dog brains don't work that way. If they had connected that going around and under the barn meant getting closer to him, they'd have been rushing to do it, not staring him from 3 feet away through the other side of the fence. But the state doesn't care about any of that so I'm glad it doesn't seem like I'll be involved in a quarantine.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 23, 2016, 08:43:47 PM
The raccoon was removed by Animal Rescue League of Boston on Wednesday afternoon, who brought it to Tufts Wildlife Clinic where it was deemed "neurological" and euthanized. Obviously an animal can present with neurological symptoms for a number of reasons. Since I have dogs on the property, do not keep my eyes on them every second they are outdoors, and do not know when the raccoon arrived (I found it Monday at 4pm) it was sent out for rabies testing. Supposedly this process takes 24 hours and they only call if there is a positive. So I should have heard back on Friday if there was cause for concern. I'm hoping there truly isn't, and the results didn't get bogged down and now everyone is away for the weekend.

Regardless, my gut is that it wasn't rabies. I don't feel like a small animal would survive 2+ days exposed in sub freezing temps with high wind chill, so sick it couldn't move, if it were rabid. And if it were, I'm 99.9% sure my dogs did not make contact. They would have ripped him through the fence if they got that close. They've done it before. They were also running to the closest point at the fence that they could see the raccoon, which those of you familiar with dogs know they will do rather than takin a long way round even if it means ultimately getting closer to their goal. Dog brains don't work that way. If they had connected that going around and under the barn meant getting closer to him, they'd have been rushing to do it, not staring him from 3 feet away through the other side of the fence. But the state doesn't care about any of that so I'm glad it doesn't seem like I'll be involved in a quarantine.

That's good news at least for you and your dogs, hopefully like you mentioned they aren't sitting on positive results and waiting until Monday to contact you, but that type of crap from a government agency wouldn't surprise me.

Are you getting hit by the blizzard at all were you are?

Pasta Chick

So far no, which in fact makes me quite grumpy. I don't want to shut the state down or cause anyone harm, but I'd really like a decent amount of snow. I've been playing this dangerous game of "too much ice and snow to bike, not enough snow to sled" and it's getting really old.

Apparently there's a high pressure polar front pushing down over us which is why the storm is hovering over DC.

You getting anything?

Guardian85

Got the car back yesterday. It runs now, but cost a fair bit to fix. And apparently it has some other problems that will eventually need fixing.
Think I'm going to reach out to my old High School. See if their auto mechanic class want to use it for a class project.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Velma

I am officially running a fever.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan