News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Congratulations anyway (pending the paperwork, as you say).   ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on November 10, 2015, 09:44:00 AM
Yesterday we finally sold our house and bought another, if all the endless paperwork goes OK.  In the end I had to agree to move before Christmas in order to get the last £2,500 of the price I wanted.  That's far too short a time and I wish we could have got started quicker.

I expected this and that's why we simply can't spare a weekend to see Buddy.  We'll need all our time and energy sorting out the endless details.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Essie Mae

I suppose you're leaving the backwater that is Herefordshire and returning to civilisation.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 10, 2015, 06:47:47 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2015, 01:20:01 AM
Quote from: MariaEvri on November 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 09, 2015, 02:17:17 AM
That looks messy, Jumbojak.

My reason for being grumpy today is due to my internet connection being so slow. :rant1: Pages are taking forever to load!

that's enough to make me wanna throw the pc out of the window

Yeah, me too.  :grrr:

I feel like I need one of those squishy anti-stress ball thingies. Preferably one that squeaks.
Hamster?

LOL. I was thinking something that requires less maintenance.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on November 10, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2015, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Velma on November 09, 2015, 04:31:21 PM
Nearly asleep last night when around mignight one of the cats jumped on my chest looking for attention. Something spooked him and he jumped off my chest right onto my injured knee. There was much pain and screaming. Took me forever to get to sleep, even after taking something for pain. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any ill effects this morning other than being a bit tired from lack of sleep.

Ouch, Velma!  :o  Reading that sent a shiver down my spine!
Seems I spoke too soon about lack of effects. My knee has been throbbing all day.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

I took the pocket door off my ensuite because the rail had warped. I was initially going to scrap it but the damned thing is so heavy there is no way I'm going to attempt taking that down 6 flights of stairs and it is way too big to fit in the lift. I have kind of sorted the rail so it becomes functional again but I cant get it back on.
Retired member.

OldGit

Quote from: Essie MaeI suppose you're leaving the backwater that is Herefordshire and returning to civilisation.

True, but I'll be in Shropshire.  In the good old days before the Norman Conquest, I'd still be in the same area of Anglo-Saxon England - the land of the Magonsæte.  Shropshire is nearly as good, and still far preferable to Herts. 

jumbojak

Quote from: Crow on November 12, 2015, 06:11:07 PM
I took the pocket door off my ensuite because the rail had warped. I was initially going to scrap it but the damned thing is so heavy there is no way I'm going to attempt taking that down 6 flights of stairs and it is way too big to fit in the lift. I have kind of sorted the rail so it becomes functional again but I cant get it back on.

If it's wood, and I'm guessing it is due to the warpage, cut some off and haul it that way. More than one way to skin a cat.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Crow

Quote from: jumbojak on November 13, 2015, 03:50:46 PM

If it's wood, and I'm guessing it is due to the warpage, cut some off and haul it that way. More than one way to skin a cat.

In the end I had to make an egyptian inspired roller system so I could get the lift and finesse to slot the door back into the mechanism. The repair to the track worked though it squeaks like crazy now and I know it will go again. I'm still going to do what I wanted but I'm just going to hide the door instead. It won't look as clean but ah well.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: OldGit on November 13, 2015, 09:56:19 AM
Quote from: Essie MaeI suppose you're leaving the backwater that is Herefordshire and returning to civilisation.

True, but I'll be in Shropshire.  In the good old days before the Norman Conquest, I'd still be in the same area of Anglo-Saxon England - the land of the Magonsæte.  Shropshire is nearly as good, and still far preferable to Herts. 

That's getting closer to me!  Whereabouts are you heading?

MariaEvri

Quote from: Velma on November 10, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2015, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Velma on November 09, 2015, 04:31:21 PM
Nearly asleep last night when around mignight one of the cats jumped on my chest looking for attention. Something spooked him and he jumped off my chest right onto my injured knee. There was much pain and screaming. Took me forever to get to sleep, even after taking something for pain. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any ill effects this morning other than being a bit tired from lack of sleep.

Ouch, Velma!  :o  Reading that sent a shiver down my spine!
Seems I spoke too soon about lack of effects. My knee has been throbbing all day.

oh no I know the pain. Have you tried one of those heating creams? I often use biofreeze and it gives me some relief for a while
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Recusant

Quote from: MariaEvri on November 13, 2015, 06:43:42 PMoh no I know the pain. Have you tried one of those heating creams? I often use biofreeze and it gives me some relief for a while

I've had good results from trolamine salicylate creams, personally. They're fairly innocuous, though people with aspirin allergy shouldn't use them.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Velma

Quote from: Recusant on November 13, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on November 13, 2015, 06:43:42 PMoh no I know the pain. Have you tried one of those heating creams? I often use biofreeze and it gives me some relief for a while

I've had good results from trolamine salicylate creams, personally. They're fairly innocuous, though people with aspirin allergy shouldn't use them.
Creams help a little bit. I usually use one with trolamine salicylate.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

jumbojak

Quote from: Crow on November 13, 2015, 06:05:47 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 13, 2015, 03:50:46 PM

In the end I had to make an egyptian inspired roller system so I could get the lift and finesse to slot the door back into the mechanism. The repair to the track worked though it squeaks like crazy now and I know it will go again. I'm still going to do what I wanted but I'm just going to hide the door instead. It won't look as clean but ah well.

Is the rail wood or metal? Not sure if you're talking about the door to your bathroom or the sliding door on a shower. If the former, the squeak could probably be fixed by shaving the part of the warped rail that's rubbing on the door and causing the squeak. A sharp chisel will do the job nicely, provided the warp is close enough to the doorway to reach. In a pinch, a short sharp knife will work too.

You would need something to mark the contact as the door moves though. Prussian blue comes to mind but that might stain wood. Works well for fitting metal together. I'm thinking that chalk might do it, but there may be another product that carpenters use to accomplish the same task. Then again, most carpentry I've seen involves more eyeballing rather than measuring thousandths of an inch. I never was much of a carpenter, but I can work magic with a file.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

OldGit

Quote from: ClaireThat's getting closer to me!  Whereabouts are you heading?

Not a lot nearer - call it 50 miles.  We'll be in Telford, a short distance from the No.1 daughter and the grand-monkey.