News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Mr. B on March 04, 2022, 03:07:26 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on March 03, 2022, 11:25:24 AM
i am sitting on the side of tbe road in pennsylvania with a full load of RV axles on tbe trailer. i have just lost another set of wheels off the trailer in the dark, them having rolled off to who knows where.

i am getting tired of wheels breaking off my rig. i think this is the fifth time this has happened, the third at highway speeds.

maybe i should go be a paleontologist again.

China bombs.

Your employer is trying to "save" money by buying the cheapest shit available.

old stuff. my truck is 25 years old. so is the trailer. owner wants to stay local. the broker wants me OTR. monday its nebraska again.

but the wheel problems have been with different trailers, and to be honest, this is whats the business is like. ive lost wheels  brakes, air, radiators, water pumps and so on for the last million miles, no matter who i drive for. broken driveshafts three times, destroyed transmissions another three. blowouts and rear ends.

l drive maybe 120, 000 miles a year, but my truck only has 712,000 miles on it. still, shit happens

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on March 04, 2022, 09:04:43 AM
Laptop has had a meltdown,   >:( >:( >:(

That is bad news. Happened to me as well a couple of months ago. Hope that you have a backup.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dark Lightning

As for laptops, mine has keys that are failing. Rather than deal with that, I bought an all-in-one machine a few weeks ago. Is there a way to slave the old hard drive to my new machine? I have some engineering software that I can't find the license for, anymore. I'd like to continue using it rather than horking up several hundred bucks.

billy rubin

on the side of the road again
. lug nuts backed off but i saw the wheel wobbli g in the mirror before it came loose and got onto an exit ramp.

not a good week.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tom62 on March 04, 2022, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 04, 2022, 09:04:43 AM
Laptop has had a meltdown,   >:( >:( >:(

That is bad news. Happened to me as well a couple of months ago. Hope that you have a backup.

If it isn't the hard drive that is the issue no data is lost.
Hard drives are easily replaced so I'd rather have that die than something that can't economically be fixed.
My wife's laptop went dead one day, we returned it and they replaced the hard drive. 
It didn't act like a dead hard drive, they used to at least load the BIOS.  Maybe these newish NVME SSDs behave like bad memory.
Give me a PC with easily replaceable modular parts.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on March 04, 2022, 11:18:45 PM
on the side of the road again
. lug nuts backed off but i saw the wheel wobbli g in the mirror before it came loose and got onto an exit ramp.

not a good week.

That's some incompetent "mechanics" right there. When I worked as a mechanic, one fleet of trucks we always serviced on Sunday so that they didn't suffer a lot of downtime. When I worked on the brakes (big trucks like yours) it would take two of us with cheater bars to break the lug nuts loose. At the time, I could deadlift 325 pounds, and I was using a 3-foot cheater. The other guy was too. I called up the tire store that they bought tires from and bitched them out, but their only response was, "Truckers love us because their wheels don't come loose!" They volunteered to bust them loose for us, but that tire store wasn't open on Sunday. Those nuts were so tight that they spot-welded to the wheels.

billy rubin

well i was driving on the last two studs when i pulled over. luckily i was 100 feet past an exit ramp so i inched back until i could pull ofc the main highway. the road guy is chaining the axle up so i can limp the 7 miles to his shop and then we ll see what to do in tbe morning.

this is a decent trailer because its short- only 45 feet-- so its more maneuverable than a 48, especially if i drop the rear air bags to make it an effective 35. but its pretty damn old

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on March 05, 2022, 01:01:55 AM
well i was driving on the last two studs when i pulled over. luckily i was 100 feet past an exit ramp so i inched back until i could pull ofc the main highway. the road guy is chaining the axle up so i can limp the 7 miles to his shop and then we ll see what to do in tbe morning.

this is a decent trailer because its short- only 45 feet-- so its more maneuverable than a 48, especially if i drop the rear air bags to make it an effective 35. but its pretty damn old

You'd probably lose your job, but if you reported these failures to the NHTSB, your employer would be fined. Lives would be potentially saved, like that poor sap who got hit by a loose tire out of turn one at the Indy, many years ago. I think that it was Pedro Guerrero's race car. How they put a lanyard on an escaping tire/wheel is something I should look up.

billy rubin

theyre dangerous, no question about it.

i worked for s big company once that sold off tbeir flatbed trailers after seven yeats and bought nrw ones.

dunno about this one. im parked in tbe mechanics yard right now, so we ll see in the morning

Magdalena

QuoteLOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in Los Angeles County rose to $5.247 on Saturday, but some gas stations in the area have even higher prices.

The Shell gas station located at Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue in Mid-City was advertising regular unleaded at $6.99 a gallon. The price for premium was listed at $7.29 a gallon.
:rant1:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Shell is just out of their fucking minds.

billy rubin

this is just gouging. the supply chain hasnt been hit just yet. theyre selling oil they bought months ago.

Tom62

Prices for petrol will likely go up even further due to the war in Ukraine and the inflation.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Icarus

Everyone should commute on MoPeds.  125 + MPG, far less pollution, much more convenient parking, initial cost a tiny fraction of your Chevrolet. E. Musk and the Chinese  will build electric mopeds and you would be wise to dump your BP and Exxon stock.