News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne D.

We have medium-ish sized holes in our dining room wall and ceiling and in our kitchen wall and ceiling and in our bathroom (second floor) wall. They have been there since this summer when our 1920s-era house's ancient original water pipes failed (slow leak). Plumber came. Was super Zen and calm. No worries. Yes, the pipe was bad and it would cost a bit to repair, but all would be under control and remedied within a couple hours. Six hours later, he's made holes in the basement
ceiling, dining room wall and ceiling, kitchen wall and ceiling, and bathroom wall (incrementally, with my permission) and is a little wild eyed. For some reason, the builder of the house didn't route the pipe straight up from the basement to the first and second floor but had it meander seemingly randomly.

Eight hours later, we have new piping. Unfortunately for the plumber, all at the fixed price he quoted me around hour 2.

Anyway, the holes are still there. I keep thinking someone else will arrange to have them fixed. I called and met with the contractors to fix another house thing we had earlier in the summer. Husband was in charge of calling contractors to fix the holes. We had one guy out in late summer who gave us a quote. Neither Husband or I has taken action since, but life and work have been super busy, and Covid scares have been up and down during this time too. And Husband has handled a bunch of other crap that's happened in the interim as well. At this point, doing the things
necessary to get the holes fixed just feels insurmountable. I look at them every day, and they make me grumpy. But still I take no action : )  Not looking for advice--solely grumping.

Also, I hate "skinny" pants but yet own a couple pair. They flatter no one but Mick Jagger.

Recusant

That plumber may still have nightmares about your house.  ;) 

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Anne D.

Tank

I hate decorating. But I hate paying people to decorate for me even more!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

I'd be willing to help, you can pay me to not decorate.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

Is that how you chaps across the pond signify your willingness to enter an agreement of payment?

I'm a little confused, but ok.

I thought you invented the language.

Biggus Dickus

:this:

I would ask Tank for more money if he's going to pay no one to decorate.  ::)

My neighbor pays a crew to come out and clear her driveway and walkways after a snow storm...in fact they do her house, the house on the other side of her, and then the house on the other side of that. So three homes in a row.

A couple weeks ago after we had a big storm come through they showed up at 1130 at night with their snowblowers to clear the snow!...I was already asleep, and to make matters worse our bedroom is on the side of right next to her driveway. They woke me up, and I was plenty pissed, and was going to send my neighbor a text the next day to complain, but I figured with all the snow we got they were just running late, and so let it go (We do have strict noise ordinances in the city which definitely would have come to play in this situation)

So last night we got hit with another snow storm, up to a foot of snow!

Her crew showed up at 4am in the f-ing morning, 4am!...I was dreaming when I first heard the snowblower coming up the driveway, and the sound actually worked it's way into my dream, but then I woke up anyway to my chagrin.

I couldn't believe this, first off I had an early morning planned with work (Working from home). So I was going to get up early, do some work, and then head outside myself and due my own snow clearing.

And this wasn't just one guy with a snowblower, they had multiple guys with snowblowers plus a big Kat-Machine which they used to clean the sidewalk...sounded like a squad of tanks moving up her driveway. Even the snowplows that clear the street and which came by around 6am weren't that loud.

Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature plow and eight men with snowblowers!

Here's the kicker,....I went out on my front porch, barefoot, in about 4-5 inches of snow and yelled over at the guys who were out in front with shovels and snowblowers, asking if they knew what fucking time it was,  and one of the guys flipped me off!! (I flipped hime off, and then went back inside)

So I sent my neighbor a text, and found out she was equally as pissed from being awokened so early. She told me later that when she contacted the company to complain they said there was nothing they could do about it, as they had a ton of homes to get to and needed to start early.
She cancelled her contract with them on the spot, and told them if they do it again she'll call the police...she's been extremely apologetic, and also told me I wasn't the only neighbor who had complained.

I couldn't fall back a sleep after all of this, and having planned to get up at 0545 anyway I just got up and started to work (So I've been up since 4am)...wife and son were both pissed as well at the events.

At least it is Friday, and I can hopefully sleep in tomorrow...

Still can't believe that guy flipped me off... :geezer!:

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Anne D.

Biggus Dickus

I tried to join "Christian Mingle" dating-site, but have been banned...apparently "ComeGetPsalm" isn't an acceptable username. :'(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

billy rubin

lost four hours this morning

pulled off the four lane to get fuel and the brakes werent w orking-- no air pressure. i was standing on the foot pedal all the way to the bottom of the exit ramp and overshot the stop sign..

nobody there at sunrise but if there had been id have climbed right over them. then i lost air pressure just driving to the fuel island. so i got fuel parked and called the boss.

only 44 miles so i got him to come and change out the air dryer filter in the rain

which he should have done before when it kept freezing up.on me last month in nebraska

but then i was off again  tested the brakes on the next three off ramps and i was good for the 5 and8 percent grades in virginia

which would have NOT been okay without air pressure  i do not need a terminal nantucket sleighride.

so alls well in appalachia

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

Next Friday I have to undergo that most dreaded of all procedures - a colonoscopy.  I have to fast for 24 hours before and drink stuff that will give me a colon blow. Then I have to bare my ass and let some unknown doctor go where no man has gone before. A woman went there once - she was my GI doc 10 years ago when I had my first one, but she is no longer with my hospital. I HATE fasting. It drives me up a wall. Maybe I can use it as the start of a diet, as I need to lose a bit. I am going to be grumpy for about 36 hours, and the thought of it makes me grumpy now..

My first colonoscopy was at age 59, and the Propofol didn't completely knock me out. I remember seeing the images on the screen, and my colon looked pink and purple. I was pretty loopy, so it was like a 60's light show. (Anyone remember those things they did on overhead projectors and colored liquids?)  Like a lava lamp. I was awake, but I didn't care that someone was shoving a scope up my butt. Anyway, I'm not looking forward to it. It is undignified and humiliating. And I HATE FASTING!

Mr. B

Just had my first colonoscopy a few weeks ago. The fasting didn't bother me too much but the liquid I had to drink...dear lord. I got the first two bottles down okay but as I was about to finish the last bit of the thrid bottle I projectile vomited. I was scheduled for a "top and bottom". Which means they took a look see down my throat and the other end. They think I might have diverticulosis among a myriad of other digestive issues I've been exeriencing the last few years. Long story short, they couldn't get a good clear look up my bum so I gotta go do it again in a couple months.

And yes, I've seen a band use the bowl and overhead projector effect once. It was pretty cool.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Dark Lightning

I'm up for a colonoscopy. It's never pleasant. This time I'm checking the box that says, "Don't tell the driver", as the person taking you may not be a family member. I'm picking it this time because I don't need for my wife to advertise the condition of my colon all over FB, like last time.  >:(