News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I've been on this latest chemotherapy and one of the side-effects is a kind of blistering on the hands and feet. My feet have been doing it a while but today my hands are affected. It stings to open a bottle or use a syringe. Why did it wait all this time before affecting me?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Randy

I've been sick to my stomach for half a day. At first I thought it might be nausea as I can tell if this got worse I'd throw up. I took anti-nausea medicine and I still feel awful. I just now had acid come up my throat. Anyway i've been putting in my tube Pepto-Bismol. It's not working.

i don't know what to do so I'm not exactly happy about it.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 13, 2021, 11:47:04 PM
I've been sick to my stomach for half a day. At first I thought it might be nausea as I can tell if this got worse I'd throw up. I took anti-nausea medicine and I still feel awful. I just now had acid come up my throat. Anyway i've been putting in my tube Pepto-Bismol. It's not working.

Damn, that sucks  :( Feeling better today?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2021, 02:15:16 PM

Oh yes. Some days are better than others but never good. I live with it though and smile. :)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 18, 2021, 06:59:04 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2021, 02:15:16 PM

Oh yes. Some days are better than others but never good. I live with it though and smile. :)

I wish I had your disposition.

xSilverPhinx

A testament to my stupidity

I was making some chicken stroganoff. Went through the usual steps on autopilot: put chicken in a pressure pot, make tomato sauce to mix the chicken in and voilà! A few day's worth of chicken stroganoff for easy and practical consumption. Except I went bed and forgot the tomato sauce on the stove, in this 30°C heat, all night long.

Guess what happened.

If you guessed, "she obviously threw it all away", you guessed wrong.

I decided to boil the infected froth for about 10 minutes so as to destroy any and all traces of bacteria and fungi which had made their home there.

Living dangerously I guess. Don't try this at home, folks.

I ate the stroganoff. Yep. About half an hour later, I feel pangs in my abdomen signally something was very wrong. About half an hour after that, I felt extremely lethargic and came down with a fever. I spent all yesterday afternoon and this morning in bed, slipping in and out of feverish sleep.

So yeah, next time I'll throw it all down the sink. :picard facepalm:

Icarus

Food poisoning is a real misery at the very least. Fatal at worst.  Those damned little bacteria beasties are both benign and deadly.  I had food poisoning once a very long time ago. I am still paranoid about such stuff.

Please get better soon Silver. We need you and the world needa you too.

Icarus

My grumpy goes as follows...........Last night we had a moderate thunderstorm.  What was that loud crashing sound in the back yard? ............Oh shit is was the oak tree.  It split in half and deposited tons of wood and foliage in the yard.  What a mess.  That tree has been suspect for several years and it finally gave up its' earthly coils.

Tree guys were consulted to remove the extensive deposit of the former tree.  Some of the damage is several meters above the ground and must be dealt with to eliminate a real danger.  The worst of it is that there  are very high voltage electric lines running close to the top of the remaining parts of the tree.   Bad scene to be sure.

I called several tree people to give me an estimate of the cost to remove the fallen parts and to cut off the top of the remaining trunk.  Tree guys here in FLorida are he worst kinds of opportunists.  One of them quoted $2750 to fix the problem. A second one quoted $1650.  The third one, who was smart enough to know that I did not just fall off the turnip truck, quoted $1050.

That kind of money does not grow on trees but it does for the people who routinely charge exorbitant prices for a routine job. 

Part of the problem is that I live on a cul de sac that has some expensive looking houses.  Mine is not bad but it is certainly not the Taj Mahol.  Sure as hell the tradesman will look at the neighborhood and presume that the residents are wealthy.  Sadly I am not wealthy. not starving but sure as hell not rich.  The tradesmen will assess the neighborhood and make their prices in accordance with  prices in keeping with what they think the area will support.

The tree guys will be here on Monday to run their equipment over my yard and destroy whatever grass is still living.

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2021, 01:35:38 AM

I was making some chicken stroganoff. Went through the usual steps on autopilot: put chicken in a pressure pot, make tomato sauce to mix the chicken in and voilà! A few day's worth of chicken stroganoff for easy and practical consumption. Except I went bed and forgot the tomato sauce on the stove, in this 30°C heat, all night long.

Guess what happened.

I decided to boil the infected froth for about 10 minutes so as to destroy any and all traces of bacteria and fungi which had made their home there.

I ate the stroganoff. Yep. About half an hour later, I feel pangs in my abdomen signally something was very wrong. About half an hour after that, I felt extremely lethargic and came down with a fever. I spent all yesterday afternoon and this morning in bed, slipping in and out of feverish sleep.

Food poisoning is no fun. I got poisoned with several others at a restaurant. It was mentioned in the paper the next day. I don't know how many hours I was sick from it though.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 20, 2021, 03:01:19 AM
Food poisoning is a real misery at the very least. Fatal at worst.  Those damned little bacteria beasties are both benign and deadly.  I had food poisoning once a very long time ago. I am still paranoid about such stuff.

Please get better soon Silver. We need you and the world needa you too.

Thanks Icarus! I am feeling better today. :grin:

(The world will do just fine without me, heh :P)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 20, 2021, 11:56:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2021, 01:35:38 AM

Guess what happened.

Food poisoning is no fun. I got poisoned with several others at a restaurant. It was mentioned in the paper the next day. I don't know how many hours I was sick from it though.

:o

It's a risk, eating out. Eating in as well...there's just no beating the bacteria and fungi. ::) 

Randy

About two days ago I somehow got Conjunctivitis (pink eye) in both eyes. There isn't anything I can do about it right now. At least my eyes aren't stinging this morning.

Edit: I blacked out three days ago and went crashing to the floor. My head still hurts and I'm taking the left over Percocet because Tylenol alone isn't working.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 24, 2021, 01:44:53 PM
About two days ago I somehow got Conjunctivitis (pink eye) in both eyes. There isn't anything I can do about it right now. At least my eyes aren't stinging this morning.

Edit: I blacked out three days ago and went crashing to the floor. My head still hurts and I'm taking the left over Percocet because Tylenol alone isn't working.

:sshocked:

Icarus

A whole line of Philodendrons (elephant ear like large plants) were destroyed and made a helluva lot of cleanup work in my back yard.

The recent windstorm wrecked my back yard oak tree, Also smashed the pecan tree near the Oak.  When the tree guys cut down what was left of the oak and the damaged pecan tree, massive chunks of wood fell on the philodendrons and smashed them all to hell. Also put some deep dents in my yard where the heavy pieces of wood fell.  $1200 later I still have to clean up all the smashed foliage.  The tree guys did remove the tree parts, an impessive lot of tree parts.  Four 20 foot trailers worth of parts.

The afternoon shade in the summer is now gone because the trees are gone.  I am grumpy but I will survive..............I hope.

Dark Lightning

My one son who is not a tree man knows how to cut branches and use ropes to lower them safely without damaging the surrounding plants. We had 15 Italian Cypress trees removed along one side of the property because they were over 30 feet tall and encroaching on the block wall. Some grass got scuffed up, which is to be expected, and I wish that they had done a better job of sweeping the street free of the detritus from all the grinding, but I have to admit that they had to have been pretty tired at the end of the day. Your tree guys are assholes. I'd suggest engaging an attorney if the replacement cost of your plants is significant. I'm reminded of the gal who lives next door to our rental house. She had gardeners (taught second grade, retired, doesn't even own a screwdriver!) who used to slam the gates going into and out of her back yard. When she complained, they told her that they knew someone who could make a new gate.  ::) She fired them.