News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This dog is exceptional! Learning a new word through the process of elimination was previously thought to be unique to humans.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 01, 2020, 05:58:29 AM
This is the coolest belt promotion I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/T6KvaO1CHQg

I haven't seen many but that definitely is the coolest belt promotion I've ever seen too! :grin:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 01, 2020, 11:32:26 AM

This dog is exceptional! Learning a new word through the process of elimination was previously thought to be unique to humans.

Previously thought by humans to be unique to humans, ho hum, there goes another bit of our god given uniqueness.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 01, 2020, 12:29:31 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 01, 2020, 11:32:26 AM

Previously thought by humans to be unique to humans, ho hum, there goes another bit of our god given uniqueness.

:snicker:

billy rubin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 01, 2020, 12:29:31 PM

remember tool use?

humans were unique because only humans used tools.

then only humans made tools.

then only humans used tools to make tools . . .

i think the best definition of humans is one i first heard applied to bats. modified:

humans are the only animals in the world that  . . .give birth to baby humans.

i thinnk that says eveything necessary

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Speaking of tool use, here's an excellent tool for creating wire clamps. I think I'll have to make the primitive version he shows briefly.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I think this wonderful video about Wittgenstein fits well into our HAF environment.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

I'm pretty sure that this lady is not loved by the mainstream media and the left. Most likely they'd call her already some very bad names. Her message however is worthwhile to listen to.

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on December 18, 2020, 01:13:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that this lady is not loved by the mainstream media and the left. Most likely they'd call her already some very bad names. Her message however is worthwhile to listen to.

Here's another letter:
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/lisa-leslie-dear-america-racism/amp
QuoteCourtesy of Lisa Leslie
Dear America,

Our whole lives you've wanted black people to 'love' you, to pledge their allegiance to you.

You want us to love you when serving in uniform, but when we are out of uniform, you throw us aside as if we never served and protected you.

You want us to love you when we protect your fancy cities, but you designed them to keep us out.

You want us to love you on the grand stage of the Olympics, but you give us no peace or justice at home.

You don't want us to expose your treatment of us to the rest of the world. You want us to stay silent and keep this a family secret.

Well, now everything has been exposed in broad daylight for the whole world to see.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Tom62 on December 18, 2020, 01:13:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that this lady is not loved by the mainstream media and the left.
My eyes almost rolled out of my head, luckily I was able to catch them in time so that I could watch the video. Which, based on this first sentence, you're totally not making sound like an equal cringefest.

Quote from: Tom62Most likely they'd call her already some very bad names.
Aw yes, the preemptive assault to defend that victim complex.

Quote from: Tom62Her message however is worthwhile to listen to.
You're sure making a terrible case for it so far.

Before even watching the video I'm going to predict some of the contents based on your statements and the title of the video. I'm guessing there's going to be something akin to victim blaming, straw men, misrepresentations, faulty equivalencies, and something about "black America" solving their problems by fixing themselves instead of worrying about the systems.

I'd also like to add, that I don't think this is the thread for this kind of thing, there are plenty of other threads meant for serious discussion.

Quote from: Tom62

After watching the video, yep, pretty much as expected. I wish I could have been surprised or at least a little wrong. Now I really don't think this video belongs in this thread because it sucks.

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing people, what I have problems with is criticizing straw men like in this video. It's dishonest work, but I suppose someone has to do it, otherwise what will gullible people base their misdirected rage on?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on December 18, 2020, 01:54:36 PM
Here's another letter:
Dear America,

Our whole lives you've wanted black people to 'love' you, to pledge their allegiance to you.

You want us to love you when serving in uniform, but when we are out of uniform, you throw us aside as if we never served and protected you.

You want us to love you when we protect your fancy cities, but you designed them to keep us out.

You want us to love you on the grand stage of the Olympics, but you give us no peace or justice at home.

You don't want us to expose your treatment of us to the rest of the world. You want us to stay silent and keep this a family secret.

Well, now everything has been exposed in broad daylight for the whole world to see.

If people want to get a group of people to give a shit about the social contract, then they should make sure that that group of people are protected by the social contract. It's hard to blame people for opting out of a contract that controls them but doesn't protect them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on December 18, 2020, 03:58:38 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 18, 2020, 01:54:36 PM
Here's another letter:
Dear America,

If people want to get a group of people to give a shit about the social contract, then they should make sure that that group of people is protected by the social contract. It's hard to blame people for opting out of a contract that controls them but doesn't protect them.
Yes.
Let me give you an example of this. Undocumented workers, in the USA, are given, by the IRS, what they call, an ITIN number to report their taxes.
--"I don't want you here, you don't exist, but bitch, give me your money."

--I'm sure they have contributed a lot more than Trump has.

But, when the pandemic hit, they were not included in the govt economic stimulus package. They got zero. This included their USA citizen significant other and their USA born kids. They get no unemployment benefits, they don't qualify for anything, nada, no help..."But boy are we the ones messing up the economy!" "Why can't you guys get ahead!?" "Why do you guys live in such bad neighborhoods?" "Stop feeling sorry for yourselves!"  ::)

Mother fuckers.
Keep wondering why we like to hear music that tells the government to fuck off."
:reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Totally agree with you, Davin, especially this:
Quote from: Davin on December 18, 2020, 03:53:37 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing people, what I have problems with is criticizing straw men like in this video. It's dishonest work, but I suppose someone has to do it, otherwise what will gullible people base their misdirected rage on?