News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on May 08, 2020, 11:41:15 AM
HMAS Hobart final voyage speed trial.  36 knots (67 km/h, 41 mph)

Oh, and Ghost Riders...

Bonjour matelot!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Bluenose, the Hobart must have an enormously powerful propulsion system.  The hydrodynamic resistance is big time but the aerodynamic resistance is an additional huge factor.  All that "dirty" superstructure is not condusive to going fast.

Bluenose

Quote from: Icarus on May 09, 2020, 04:57:04 AM
Bluenose, the Hobart must have an enormously powerful propulsion system.  The hydrodynamic resistance is big time but the aerodynamic resistance is an additional huge factor.  All that "dirty" superstructure is not condusive to going fast.

Hobart was a Perth class DDG a modified version of the USN's Charles F Adams class. Propulsion: 2 × General Electric steam turbines, 70,000 shp (52,000 kW), 2 shafts.  At 4,600 tons displacement (full load) she would have mad a rather large ski boat.  ::)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

joeactor

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 03:56:53 PM

Thanks, Billy - that was an interesting bit of tech history!

Here's a somewhat related video, by one of my favorite science educators:

Randy

These are pretty old videos and yet the science of then (or Faraday's even) is still true today.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

some of them are funny

i remember one where a famous biologist was holding a live lobster to explain some physiological characteristic

then a minute later the lobster showed up again completely dismembered and arranged on a table top

im trying to remember who she was. i believe she becalme a well onown politician

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: Randy on May 27, 2020, 10:48:32 PM
These are pretty old videos and yet the science of then (or Faraday's even) is still true today.

Old, but wonderful, as some of us at HAF are.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Interesting view from 2016 about Trump

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

joeactor

Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2020, 11:12:23 PM
Interesting view from 2016 about Trump

Good stuff... I've been saying for a while "We're a representative democracy."

Randy

My caregiver mentioned to me one of the reasons she likes Trump. He's not a politician. It was something I heard on the video.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Randy your caregiver is correct.  He is not a politician, he is a con man who can persuade people who are of a detached state of mind.

billy rubin

yes. hes not smart

his only skill is salesmanship

hes good with crowds

individuals, no

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein