News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

My faith in humanity is restored when I watch an inspiring documentary like this one on Stravinsky.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

some things ar ebeyond cool, and old machines fall into that category for me, esp[ecially if they run.

this is a caterpillar sixty, made in the 1920s or so, a hundred years old now. when i lived in california there was one of these sitting in a barnyrd across the irrigation canal from me. beautiful machine.the starting procedure reveals a totally different mechanical relationship than what we have today, and a totally different mindset for the operator, at a time when about half the united states still farmed with horses.

icarus, watch him feel for top dead center around 3.45. you will appreciate that.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on February 09, 2020, 08:11:09 PM
some things ar ebeyond cool, and old machines fall into that category for me, esp[ecially if they run.

this is a caterpillar sixty, made in the 1920s or so, a hundred years old now. when i lived in california there was one of these sitting in a barnyrd across the irrigation canal from me. beautiful machine.the starting procedure reveals a totally different mechanical relationship than what we have today, and a totally different mindset for the operator, at a time when about half the united states still farmed with horses.

icarus, watch him feel for top dead center around 3.45. you will appreciate that.

It reminded me of Jean Tinguely.

and

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Yep. I appreciated that BR.  I am so damned old that I can remember such things. We have gone a long way since then.  In fact the farmer and his mule could have plowed four furrows while he was risking his life messing with that ancient CAT.  I was especially thrilled at the suicidal cranking procedure with the  long lever and the holes in the flywheel. In the olden days one did what one had to do even if was potentially fatal.

As a matter of fact I have operated a boat with and old Lunenberg make and break engine.  It was also hazardous when cranking it.

Thanks for the nostalgia kick. 

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 10, 2020, 04:04:16 AM
It reminded me of Jean Tinguely.

and

yes

youve got it

theres an underlyibg coherence in a purely functional mechanism that generates the same , i dont know? symmetry? pattern? as in non representational art.

the more you look the more it holds together, at least to me. the chaos fades away

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

joeactor

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

I didn't buy Joni records I bought Neil's.
Joni was older than me now she' younger than me now she's older than me.
Old Joni is a treasure but I love young Joni, I used to be younger than Joni.
I never did convince my daughters the cover of this was too mellow crapige.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

Jackals  or pythons best not mess with the honey badger.  Honey badgers are bad ass psychopathic dudes who, by all accounts, fear no man or beast.

Mr. B