News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 01, 2016, 11:02:14 PM
  Lots of pretty pictures here  https://player.vimeo.com/video/41225777?badge=0
Oh, to have had a job like tbat whdn I was younger! Brilliant shots.

I have three books of National Graphic pictures, all over the world from the wilds of Africa to the wilds of New York! From rampant buffalos to rampant carnival dancers. From craggy mountains to craggy tenements.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Is this guy on here..? Because me, I like.  ;)

Example from videobook:

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Thank you, Asmodean. Excellent source for well presented astronomy!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

There are three well-researched and documented videobooks on his profile. All three are of superior quality (From a viewpoint of someone who passed basic University physics. "Passed" being the operative word here. Not "aced," not "loved," just "passed.")

I especially enjoyed the embedded video for the sheer perspective-giving power of it and all of the "How Small Is It" videos. Bloody superb and more people should watch stuff like that in stead of BibleTv.whatever.  :)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

I'd been looking forward to the collaboration with Scott Clifton (aka Theoretical Bullshit) since it was announced, and I think it's very well done.
— H. L. Mencken

Essie Mae

Clever AND entertaining AND far more likely to get the believers thinking critically than ernest conversations.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Dream on Essie Mae. No amount of ordinary logical thought will budge the dedicated theist.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 08, 2016, 06:34:20 AM
Dream on Essie Mae. No amount of ordinary logical thought will budge the dedicated theist.
True, no amount of scientifically and historically based rebuttal moves the likes of Pahu one theological iota. He simply ignores the facts, is totally incapable of accepting anything that runs counter to his beliefs.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on August 08, 2016, 06:47:02 AM
True, no amount of scientifically and historically based rebuttal moves the likes of Pahu one theological iota. He simply ignores the facts, is totally incapable of accepting anything that runs counter to his beliefs.
A girl can dream can't she? It is true though that for me it was just a case of questions arising unbidden in my mind - no outside influence brought to bear.

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 08, 2016, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 08, 2016, 06:47:02 AM
A girl can dream can't she? It is true though that for me it was just a case of questions arising unbidden in my mind - no outside influence brought to bear.
Then you had a, probably genetic, advantage over others, Essie! My questioning started very early, before I was ten, and neuther received nor required any external encouragement,  just the inherent need to analyse, question and understand.

It is interesting that converdion to religion usually seems to need, from anecdote, persuation, coercion or "revelation". Converdion to atheism modtly seems to vome from a building sense of disillusion, rational devusion based on ecperience etc.

Those with an inherent, or a residual, need for a structure, for a "congregation" , may become humanists.

Icarus

We have previously discussed, here, whether the genetic makeup of atheists is different from that of the theists.  Some of us need tangible evidence in order to support a hypothesis. Some do not. 

High school physics students do experiments to verify that light is bent (refracted) when it passes through a medium like glass or water.  The students do experiments that demonstrate the behavior of a falling body, or they may assign the coefficient of friction of a certain sliding body by experimental means that demonstrate with hard evidence that something is true and predictable. Or calculate the period of a pendulum with respect to its radius of gyration. ( I'm thinking about Galileo's experiments that almost got him assassinated)   About seven or eight out of ten of those students will go to bible study on Wednesday night and believe all kinds of supernatural things, many of which contradict what they have seen with their own eyes in physics class.   Suspension of disbelief is great when we are reading Harry Potter or watching a movie. Not so great when we apply fantasy reasoning  to real world situations. .

.........................never mind,  I must be on a geriatric rant.

Essie Mae

If they get you young enough, any genetic tendency towards questioning the status quo is thoroughly quashed. It can take a lifetime for that tendency to gain traction, and for some, in spite of any innate tendency, it never happens.