News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

^^Good one Sandy and Bluenose.^^

I was hanging out in downtown Detroit this afternoon, and on the way home I cruised around some of the old neighborhoods and it reminded me of this song and video.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Claireliontamer

A question... What does 'downtown' actually mean? Is it a geography thing about north and south? I've always wondered.

Biggus Dickus

Usually "Downtown" refers to the main, or central area of a city. For Detroit it is the hub,...when city was originally designed by the French it was laid out in a pattern similar to a wheel, with the main, central location the hub of the wheel, and the major boulevards and avenues spreading out like the spokes on a wheel.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 29, 2016, 02:17:48 PM
Usually "Downtown" refers to the main, or central area of a city. For Detroit it is the hub,...when city was originally designed by the French it was laid out in a pattern similar to a wheel, with the main, central location the hub of the wheel, and the major boulevards and avenues spreading out like the spokes on a wheel.

The reason I asked was it seems to get used in different ways by different people.  Sometimes it seem to be a geography thing like in Manhattan but then I've seen it like you use as meaning the city centre.  Then Billy Joel seems to use 'uptown' as meaning of an upper class area.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 25, 2016, 11:34:53 PM
Bluenose shared this on FB, and I just had to bring it over here:

I laughed so hard at this.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

An important and vital scene from the movie, "Good Will Hunting"...

Earlier in the movie Matt Damon analyzes a watercolor painting which Robin Williams painted and which is hanging in his office.

Matt Damon concludes after studying the painting that it represents suppressed feelings and guilt Robin Williams is feeling over the premature death of his wife (This accusation stabs at Robin Williams and he lashes back out at Matt Damon, actually grabbing him by the throat and threatening him).

It is this presumption which Robin refers to at one point in this scene, saying, ...But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine, and you ripped my fucking life apart.

Fucking presumptions, I feel the same way oftentimes.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 02, 2016, 07:59:56 PM
An important and vital scene from the movie, "Good Will Hunting"...

Earlier in the movie Matt Damon analyzes a watercolor painting which Robin Williams painted and which is hanging in his office.

Matt Damon concludes after studying the painting that it represents suppressed feelings and guilt Robin Williams is feeling over the premature death of his wife (This accusation stabs at Robin Williams and he lashes back out at Matt Damon, actually grabbing him by the throat and threatening him).

It is this presumption which Robin refers to at one point in this scene, saying, ...But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine, and you ripped my fucking life apart.

Fucking presumptions, I feel the same way oftentimes.

Retired member.

Guardian85

So to put this in context:
In the Norwegian Armed Forces the Royal Norwegian Navy and the Royal Norwegian Air Force run their boot camps at the same base (KNM Harald Haarfagre). So obviously there is some competitive sentiment between the two services. This year apparently, 3rd Company (Navy) decided to upstage everyone else with a little show at the end of the graduation ceremony.

Fun fact: The room at the end of the ground floor on the building behind them is my old room. 2nd Company! Hell yeah!  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 06, 2016, 11:38:45 PM
So to put this in context:
In the Norwegian Armed Forces the Royal Norwegian Navy and the Royal Norwegian Air Force run their boot camps at the same base (KNM Harald Haarfagre). So obviously there is some competitive sentiment between the two services. This year apparently, 3rd Company (Navy) decided to upstage everyone else with a little show at the end of the graduation ceremony.

Fun fact: The room at the end of the ground floor on the building behind them is my old room. 2nd Company! Hell yeah!  8)

That's the Navy for ya', always having fun, dancing and singing, with endless hot-showers, and hot fresh meals.... ;D

That was very cool Gman, what a difference between the way you feel the day you graduate, and the first day you arrive...but that was well done,... although I have no idea how to pronounce the name of the base (Haaaarfaagogre?)

By the way were you Navy or Air Force, and how long is boot camp normally?

Guardian85

I was Air Force, naturally. And boot camp was 7 weeks when I was in. After that you are sent of to get training in what will become your main service function.

The reason you have trouble getting your head around the name of the base is that the Norwegian language contains a few sounds that don't exist in English. I wrote the name using the English alphabet, where we usually use aa in stead of the letter å.
The base is named after this guy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Fairhair

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Icarus

Our black, Kenyon, Islamist, communist, president has a sense of humor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJpWOY3r18

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 11, 2016, 11:13:35 PM
I was Air Force, naturally. And boot camp was 7 weeks when I was in. After that you are sent of to get training in what will become your main service function.

The reason you have trouble getting your head around the name of the base is that the Norwegian language contains a few sounds that don't exist in English. I wrote the name using the English alphabet, where we usually use aa in stead of the letter å.
The base is named after this guy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Fairhair

Very cool, I really like his son's name, Eric Bloodaxe.

There is a older guy at the athletic club I belong to who is from Norway and I saw him today, and showed him your post and video, and asked him to pronounce Harald Haarfagre name for me so I could hear it, very cool.

He's an older guy, thick accent, everyone calls him Mort, but I believe his name is Morten or Mortan?

Anyway he really enjoyed your video, and talked a lot about Norway, said his brother went through the same base as you, but with the Navy...he talked for about 45 minutes, longwinded, but really nice guy.

What was your MOS in the Air Force?

Guardian85

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 12, 2016, 10:07:45 PM

What was your MOS in the Air Force?
I ended up in a security team at a ComCon station in Northern Norway. Was the top rifleman in the camp, so they put me in a designated marksman role.

-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey