News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: Icarus on December 14, 2015, 02:18:13 AM
Cool vid JJ. That dude was really fast with his saw and chisel. As one gear head to another, I appreciate the cleverness and skill of the subject craftsman.

The last bit shows him with a treasured boat building tool called a "Slick". The handle did not need to be that exotic, but that is what craftsmen do.

That guy needs to be on the Predict the Future thread - he'd be very useful in a post-industrial world...

OldGit

Quote from: CrowTotally ruined it with the red and green paint.

I disagree -  that's completely authentic for Victorian cast iron machinery.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on December 14, 2015, 04:44:24 PM
Quote from: CrowTotally ruined it with the red and green paint.

I disagree -  that's completely authentic for Victorian cast iron machinery.

Looks unfinished. With the unfinished wood the natural patina of the iron looked far superior as it was all in-keeping. Finish the wood and give it the Victorian decoration then hit the metal up with colour and you have a winner, preferably in the style of the Arkwright Carding Machine.
Retired member.

OldGit

Quote from: CrowLooks unfinished. With the unfinished wood the natural patina of the iron looked far superior as it was all in-keeping.

True.

Icarus

JJ, the old time boat builders favor something in the 30 degree range. If too fine an angle it is a bit more vulnerable. Sure enough they are more often used for paring than for hacking.

Speaking of boat builder tools, have you thought of making an adze?  Back in the day those old guys could square up a raw log so that it was near perfect and do it pretty quickly with a tool that looked like a potato hoe. That's when ships were wood and men were steel.

OldGit

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Watching things like this REALLY makes me want to flind a Regal supercharger for my LeSabre! A grandma car that'll smoke damn near anything. ;)

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

OldGit

Icarus

Tank

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor