News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!

Started by Buddy, October 27, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

joeactor

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on November 29, 2015, 08:14:16 AM
I don't remember you posting that before jj. I love that sort of thing.

I'll be able to make something like that. One of these days.... maybe once I find a vise that doesn't break under basic loads. And then, it's on to a set of Damascus presentation wood chisels. Bone handled, of course. Privided I can find bone of sufficient diameter....

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

[youtube width=700]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNQiVb4aDEI[/youtube]

Store inauguration fail.

Hello economic crisis!  :reading:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

joeactor

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

That's an oldie but goodie. Reminds me of this one.

[youtube width=700]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92utho4PjH0[/youtube]
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

This is how you know you've got a real Santa:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

jumbojak

Here's another one for you Tank...

That would be so much fun to build. Not to mention USE!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Cool vid JJ. That dude was really fast with his saw and chisel. As one gear head to another, I appreciate the cleverness and skill of the subject craftsman.

The last bit shows him with a treasured boat building tool called a "Slick". The handle did not need to be that exotic, but that is what craftsmen do.

jumbojak

What's the typical bevel on a slick Icarus? I asked Chris in the comments but he didn't have an answer for me. Since watching that video some time ago I've wanted to make one but don't have an example at hand for reference. I feel like the primary bevel should be less than 25 degrees since they're used for paring more than a normal chisel. I have an old file that would make a fine cutting edge when forge welded to mild steel for the bulk of the material. It's a matter of forging as close to finish as possible though, as I don't have a fancy water cooled grinding system to hog out a lot of material if the slick doesn't perform well on the initial angle. Stones take a while....

Tank

People who used those regularly probably walk around in circles when they close their eyes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Totally ruined it with the red and green paint.
Retired member.