Re: A New York City convention: (Orthodox) Jews against the Internet

Started by Sweetdeath, August 16, 2012, 05:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 15, 2012, 12:52:17 AM
How large is the Orthodox population in New York, TWC? 

Like TWC said; it's pretty large population here. Especially in Brooklyn (not near me. I'm in Manhattan)

But yeah, we have been having lots of 'scandals' here lately with Jewish people wanting to seriously isolate themselves in their communities.
But you can't be fucking serious; about them having their own laws and not going to the police? I had no idea about that shit.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 16, 2012, 05:34:23 AM

When I was a kid, my father told me he never shed a single tear for the holocaust.

I shed tears for Jews killed in the Holocaust.

Also remember that gays were sent to German camps.  When the war ended, the few Jews, gypsies, trade unionists, and so on who had survived were liberated.  The few gays who had survived went to German jails, where no one shed tears for them.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 16, 2012, 05:34:23 AM
I'm tired of women always being put down below dirt and below human standards.

I'm tired of it too--but remember that extremists in many religious do this, not just Orthodox Jews.  And also, someone is not necessarily a bad person because he is Orthodox Jewish or a member of another faith that has only ever been taught one sad way to think about women or anyone else.  Some people do overcome their programming.  

Also...  Many secular and Reform Jewish women are feminists.  (I admit that I don't know much about Orthodox women and feminism, but I am pretty sure that some of the Orthodox women I have met would never let anyone walk all over them.  And others, sadly, do.)  

In Reform and liberal communities, women serve as rabbis; only a few Christian denominations allow women to be clergy.  

Further, the American Jewish World Service does incredible charitable work around the world--most of it with non-Jews (like earthquake relief in Haiti).  In addition, they are true friends of LGBT people.  In Uganda, you can be killed for being gay.  AJWS is active there in helping the LGBT community.

Finally, when my OCD was bad many years ago but I was a poor student, the Jewish Board of Family and Children Services took me in and gave me a sliding scale fee.  That is not something I will ever forget.