News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Miss or miss? Language use question.

Started by Tank, August 03, 2012, 08:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on August 04, 2012, 12:14:20 AM
Quote from: En_Route on August 03, 2012, 10:16:48 PM
The use of commas looks clumsy. I prefer:  " Hello, Miss. What can I do for you, Miss?"
I imagine the next line should be: " Beat me within an inch of my miserable life".

"Yes Miss, would you prefer the whip or belt"

Top marks both for grammatical punctiliousness and composition.
The likely response: " Both, of course, you foolish and forgetful girl. Now, bestir yoursef. My  splendid butttocks are all aquiver with fervid anticipation and the Master returns from his club within the hour ".

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

The use of commas looks clumsy. I prefer:  " Hello, Miss. What can I do for you, Miss?"
I imagine the next line should be: " Beat me within an inch of my miserable life".

Well that wouldn't work at all in the context of the passage at all.
My only interest was the use of Miss as a noun to create emphasis on the relationship between Isobel and Sarah and that question has been answered. So speculate to your heart's content about emphasis and punctuation but the story won't change  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on August 04, 2012, 01:03:52 AM
Quote from: Crow on August 04, 2012, 12:14:20 AM

"Yes Miss, would you prefer the whip or belt"

Top marks both for grammatical punctiliousness and composition.
The likely response: " Both, of course, you foolish and forgetful girl. Now, bestir yoursef. My  splendid butttocks are all aquiver with fervid anticipation and the Master returns from his club within the hour ".
I see you have read 'The Pearl' at some point.  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.