News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

London Olympics

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 28, 2012, 02:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Yay, GB wins Gold and Bronze in the Time-Trial. Well done Wiggo and Froome.

I was watching it on my PC at work while it was happening 4 miles down the road. Very frustrating not to get to see it in the flesh.

Still, I seemed to jinx the road race by being there so maybe a good thing!

I just wanna get on my bike now...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

I'm not sure how the Olympics are coming over for y'all foreigners, but here in the UK there's SUCH a buzz. Not only because of the massive comparative success of Team GB but because of the apparent triumph of organisation of the Games as a whole. We CAN organise a piss-up in a brewery after all! I'd like to think that the domestic feelings are translating well abroad. Let us know how it all comes over and if our pride at the performance of our sportsmen/women and organisers is justified.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 05, 2012, 12:16:35 AM
I'm not sure how the Olympics are coming over for y'all foreigners, but here in the UK there's SUCH a buzz. Not only because of the massive comparative success of Team GB but because of the apparent triumph of organisation of the Games as a whole. We CAN organise a piss-up in a brewery after all! I'd like to think that the domestic feelings are translating well abroad. Let us know how it all comes over and if our pride at the performance of our sportsmen/women and organisers is justified.

Cycling track has been my favorite to watch since we had the Commonwealth but this year it has really come into its own, it's the best sport to watch ever regardless of who is racing but the women's pursuit today was outstanding to watch.

I think the reason why the Olympics has been such a big success over here is that as a nation we are pessimists and usually it's justified, but this time our pessimism has been demolished especially over the last few days going from 25th to 3rd in practically two days, we have performed well in events we usually perform rubbish in and highlighting talent that if nurtured could perform really well in the future (i'm thinking of Adam Gemili). There have been a few things I have disliked such as the media obsession with the Bolt and therefore a lack of coverage on athletes I personally think are more likely to win, but they are very small things.

I hope the coverage of the Olympics at Rio will be as good as it is this year, I love that I can watch whatever I want whenever I want as well as watch the traditional programming.
Retired member.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 05, 2012, 12:16:35 AM
Looks like Romney was wrong. From this side of the pond it looks like the games are a success.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

Last night seeing team GB win three Golf Medals in the athletics stadium in under an hour was just incredible to watch. The people in that stadium watched history being made the like of which will never ever happen again!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on August 01, 2012, 11:06:09 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on August 01, 2012, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 31, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
As for watching beach volleyball ... yes, yes, we know ;D
Ah, but as it happens, the participants were men. Norwegians, in fact. It was more research than fun...

You headhunting again?
No, but when my volleyball playing buddy inevitably starts talking about it, I want to at least be half-way in the loop so I do not have to fake an understanding of what's he going on about.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Listening to (BBC) Radio4 this morning we were reminded that the lottery funding behind the success of Team GB was John Majors' idea. Remember him?! Even the most insipid of characters are currently worthy of some praise.

"London is full of smiling, happy people. I feel like a stranger in my own city"   ;D

Edit: ...But it is pissing with rain today so not wholly without a sprinkling of reassuring misery.

Tank

Have you seen the video of the BBC commentators watching Jessica Ennis winning the gold?
They are going insane !!!!  :D :D :D

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 05, 2012, 10:25:49 AM
"London is full of smiling, happy people. I feel like a stranger in my own city"   ;D

What! Really!? Londoners genuinely happy I'm getting a brimstone brolly just in case.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: markmcdaniel on August 05, 2012, 06:46:03 AM
Looks like Romney was wrong. From this side of the pond it looks like the games are a success.

Romney was bad mouthing the Games?  Since when does he know anything about sports other than playing both sides of the fence?

I haven't been watching the Games myself (not a sports fan either) but I'm hearing people talk no end about Michael Phelps and Gabby Douglas who are, apparently, covering the US in glory.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: BCEI haven't been watching the Games myself (not a sports fan either) but I'm hearing people talk no end about Michael Phelps and Gabby Douglas who are, apparently, covering the US in glory.

Good for them, but unsurprisingly we're hearing mainly about our own successes.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on August 05, 2012, 12:01:25 PM
Quote from: BCEI haven't been watching the Games myself (not a sports fan either) but I'm hearing people talk no end about Michael Phelps and Gabby Douglas who are, apparently, covering the US in glory.

Everybody hears mostly about their own successes -- that's the way it works. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

En_Route

Surely, these days you Brits enjoying success is news.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on August 05, 2012, 12:23:43 PM

Surely, these days you Brits enjoying success is news.

It does feel like that at times.