News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hotel replaces bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Started by Firebird, July 25, 2012, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Firebird

Quote from: Will on August 05, 2012, 04:56:44 AM

I may use this quote  :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Will on August 05, 2012, 04:56:44 AM
LOL so true :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: WillGreat, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another.

Tank

I really, really like the effect 50SoG has had on the ability to discuss sex with women. It's unprecedented in my experience as a legitimate discussion topic. 'Have you read that book yet?' Bloody fantastic!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 12:37:49 PM
I really, really like the effect 50SoG has had on the ability to discuss sex with women. It's unprecedented in my experience as a legitimate discussion topic. 'Have you read that book yet?' Bloody fantastic!

What you might call a captive audience.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

OldGit

Yes, only yesterday I was asking an old lady on the bus whether she preferred plastic or metal butt-plugs.

Sweetdeath

Please, i discuss sex all the time without losing my brain cells to bad 'literature.'  :P
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 05, 2012, 05:58:28 PM
Please, i discuss sex all the time without losing my brain cells to bad 'literature.'  :P
That's not the point. You're of an age and culture and live in a city which is unique in it's liberal attitudes. There's a world outside NYC which is very different.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 06:52:37 PM

But what do you do if they look at you blankly and say "Have I read what?"  If people on this forum weren't talking about it, I might think 50 Shades of Grey was a minimalist interior design how-to.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 05, 2012, 06:59:44 PM

But what do you do if they look at you blankly and say "Have I read what?"  If people on this forum weren't talking about it, I might think 50 Shades of Grey was a minimalist interior design how-to.
It depends on the person. Some I'll just say, oh go and have a look the next time you're in Sansbury's or Waterstones.  ;D

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 05, 2012, 06:59:44 PM

It depends on the person. Some I'll just say, oh go and have a look the next time you're in Sansbury's or Waterstones.  ;D

The whole phenomenon is bizarre. It's on prominent display in airports, and people read it openly on the bus. In a country as prudish as we are, that's saying a lot. I've never seen anyone read anything erotica in public here till now.
Also, I read the first chapter and the writing sucked  ;) (It was a free download)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Firebird on August 05, 2012, 11:31:06 PM
Also, I read the first chapter and the writing sucked  ;) (It was a free download)

That's the bad thing about erotica -- writers tend to be lazy with it because they assume sexy writes itself.  It doesn't.
Sandy