News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hotel replaces bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Started by Firebird, July 25, 2012, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 26, 2012, 09:31:19 PM
Would you feel the same if the book was a virulently homophobic tract?

Isn't it though?  ;D

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on July 26, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Isn't it though?  ;D

I believe that's where he was going :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

hismikeness

OMG they should just put Twilight in there!!!
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

DeterminedJuliet

I like OldGit's idea of throwing them in the garbage.  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: hismikeness on July 26, 2012, 04:22:06 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 26, 2012, 04:11:49 PM
Though,i went to a winery once with Mimi, and we found a bible AND the book of Mormon. X_x;....

I've seen some BoMs too... Was it a Marriott?

Yes, actually, it was!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Isn't it though?  ;D

I was just going to say that xD

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

rainbowcat212

I've never liked hotel provided books in hotel rooms anyways. I just think that they are a breeding ground for germs.

Every hotel that I went to has had bibles in them. It really does not bother me that much. I just choose not to read the bible while I stay at the hotel. I would find the bible in the room bothersome if somebody came and knocked on the door to see if I read "god's word"
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

markmcdaniel

Quote from: hismikeness on July 26, 2012, 11:22:35 PM
Werewolves and Vampires are probably an improvement over a Zombie.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

markmcdaniel

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 27, 2012, 01:02:50 AM
We would need a really big bin.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sweetdeath

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 27, 2012, 06:36:38 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 27, 2012, 01:02:50 AM
We would need a really big bin.

Reminds me of the "hide the bible" tumblr.

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Asmodean

What is it, that? The vast majority of fourteen year old girls seem to be talking about it, so I assume it's something to ruin my favourite light setting, but still? Is it that which has a mormon vampire in magic undies?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hismikeness

Quote from: Asmodean on July 27, 2012, 09:00:11 AM
What is it, that? The vast majority of fourteen year old girls seem to be talking about it, so I assume it's something to ruin my favourite light setting, but still? Is it that which has a mormon vampire in magic undies?

I don't know about all that, but vampires ring a bell. I was just being sarcastic.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 27, 2012, 02:42:06 AM

Isn't it though?  ;D

Well,certainly all the Christian religions as far as I know do interpret it as classifying the practice of homosexuality as a sin. I suspect homophobia has been almost universal in all cultures until relatively recently. Scotland is due to become the first part  of the UK to legalise gay marriages and that may represent a significant breakthrough in this part of the world.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 27, 2012, 09:12:27 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 27, 2012, 02:42:06 AM

Isn't it though?  ;D

Well,certainly all the Christian religions as far as I know do interpret it as classifying the practice of homosexuality as a sin. I suspect homophobia has been almost universal in all cultures until relatively recently. Scotland is due to become the first part  of the UK to legalise gay marriages and that may represent a significant breakthrough in this part of the world.

I seriously thought gay marriage was already legal in the UK.  Didn't Elton John marry his partner, or did I dream that up in some sort of magical piano and blingy sunglasses filled fantasy? (I'm not making fun; I freaking love Sir Elton.)