News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Noah's Ark Landed... in the Netherlands?

Started by joeactor, July 30, 2012, 08:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Full article here:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/world/europe/johans-ark-noah-dutch

QuoteA Dutchman has built a replica of Noah's Ark to biblical proportions, following a dream his homeland would be flooded.
Johan Huibers, a wealthy businessman, used the ancient measurement of the cubit -- the length of a man's arm from elbow to fingertips -- to build the vessel to the dimensions specified in the book of Genesis.
The finished craft -- which has just been opened to the public on the Merwede River in the Dutch town of Dordrecht -- is 300 cubits long (about 450 feet or 137 meters), 50 cubits wide (about 70 feet or 21 meters), and 30 cubits high (about 45 feet or 14 meters).
Huibers has filled his ark, which will operate as a "Bible museum," with life-sized plastic animals and an aviary of live birds to give visitors more to interact with.
"We want to tell people about God," Huibers told AFP. "We wanted to build something that can help explain the Bible in real terms."
It is not Huibers' first ark. He completed his first, a half-scale replica of Noah's Ark, in 2004, and used it to take tourists on canal trips, before beginning work on a full-scale version in 2008.

Ali

Wow!  He got like 5MM+ life sized plastic animal replicas on a 450 foot boat?  He must have excellent organizational skills!

joeactor

Quote from: Ali on July 30, 2012, 09:02:53 PM
Wow!  He got like 5MM+ life sized plastic animal replicas on a 450 foot boat?  He must have excellent organizational skills!

... it's all how you stack 'em.

Good thing they don't poop or eat.

markmcdaniel

Wow, he wants to teach kids about the Bible. I presume that lesson number one is about how you can't even fit all of the pairs of land animals in a 450 x 50 x 45 foot ship. For lesson number two I recommend teaching about why it is a bad idea to take a long, narrow, ship with a high centre of gravity out to sea.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on July 30, 2012, 08:37:40 PM
"We want to tell people about God," Huibers told AFP. "We wanted to build something that can help explain the Bible in real terms."

Now that I would be interested in. How they managed to get all the animals into that ark is one question that burns my curiosity. A replica could help solve that mystery "in real terms".
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 30, 2012, 10:58:25 PM
Quote from: joeactor on July 30, 2012, 08:37:40 PM

Now that I would be interested in. How they managed to get all the animals into that ark is one question that burns my curiosity. A replica could help solve that mystery "in real terms".

I don't think this is going to answer your question.  I looked at the pictures, and it seemed pretty empty in there.  I just googled that there seem to be about 8.7MM species on earth (much higher than my original estimate!) so if you assume there are at least 2 of every one of them in there, that would be about 17MM animals.  He's got plenty of standing room in there, so I don't think his illustration is up to snuff.  Also, what kind of maniac leaves lions and gorillas uncaged? 

Recusant

Reading the quote in the OP, I wondered how this vessel had been designed to overcome the well known issue of hogging and sagging which plagues large wooden ships. Then I read the full story, and it became clear:

Quote. . . Huibers and his team built the boat by welding together the metal hulls of 25 barges into a single frame, which was then covered with Scandinavian pine.

So, not really an attempt to build an "authentic replica" of the Biblical ark, but rather a floating Ark Encounter with a plastic menagerie.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

I know this is late, but i just saw it and what the fuck...

This guy really has nothing better to do with his money? :-\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 04, 2012, 01:25:09 PM

What do you mean? He's turning his money into more money, it's what rich people do.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2012, 04:19:11 PM

What do you mean? He's turning his money into more money, it's what rich people do.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: joeactor on August 04, 2012, 04:47:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2012, 04:19:11 PM

haha  :D

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

I'm fast developing a dislike for this picture.
I'm sure it will dim if I take that smug head.

Crow

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on August 04, 2012, 08:20:20 PM
I'm fast developing a dislike for this picture.
I'm sure it will dim if I take that smug head.

This one any better?

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on July 31, 2012, 02:37:06 AM
Reading the quote in the OP, I wondered how this vessel had been designed to overcome the well known issue of hogging and sagging which plagues large wooden ships. Then I read the full story, and it became clear:

Quote. . . Huibers and his team built the boat by welding together the metal hulls of 25 barges into a single frame, which was then covered with Scandinavian pine.

So, not really an attempt to build an "authentic replica" of the Biblical ark, but rather a floating Ark Encounter with a plastic menagerie.

They can't build a plausible replica, that would probably turn some people away from their faith. Noah had to have done it because god willed it so and so made a few supernatural adjustments...long ago...and the evidence is lost to us.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath