News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Need Help Arguing Against Religion At Other Forum

Started by Thanos, January 05, 2008, 04:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

impuzzled

I have been scanning these forums, I am a gun enthusiast, don't drink, do play cards, try not to stereotype but usually do, and fail at acheiving my pricipals more often then succeed. This offers me alot of room for growth.

I am also a Chrsitian who would love to engage in rational debate without stone throwing.

What I have read on this site is;
Squid saying that his scientific tendencies lead him to disproving scripture and I would respond by inviting himm to watch a video called The Journey Toward creation which has some of the worlds most acclaimed (atheist) astrophysicists concluding the Undeniable Existence of a Creative Intelligence. Stay up to date!

A Nother man, big mac quoting Star Wars when it is common knowledge that George Lucas is a God fearing man and that all The Force is refferring to is the Power of The Holy Spirit. Find new material!

A little boy, Thanos crying for help because he got in over his head in a debate, and a website full of people who Desperately need to consider that if one of your most reknown leaders, Anthony Flew with his far greater research on the topic and many more years of experience defending a topic that serves no-one and nothing has completley reversed his views,

PERHAPS ITS TIME TO DO A LITTLE HOMEWORK OF YOUR OWN!

Liberal Patriot

You're the one who needs to do homework, impuzzled, to discover that the bible is a plagiarized copy of earlier and concurrent religions and that the Jesus virgin birth story is one of many.  Ask yourself, which one of them is true?  The one that claims that the earth is supported by the trunks of four huge elephants that are standing on the back of a giant tortoise or that a ghost poofed everything into existence in seven days, or the 146 native north american aboriginals unique descriptions of creation and their god(s) and submit proof as to why your "Truth" is truer than their "Truth" or the "Truth" of Islam, Juda or Hindu.

Just for the record, I don't have any ill feeling towards gods that don't exist, just the idiots trying to gain preferential treatment via the government because they believe in the absurd.

SteveS

Hey impuzzled,

Your post strikes me as a critique of a few members - Squid is a scientifically educated member who has mostly, to my experience, argued strongly in support of the scientific Theory of Evolution against positions of Creationism and Intelligent Design.

Thanos is a new member, but I don't see how making comments like:

Quote from: "impuzzled"A little boy, Thanos crying for help because he got in over his head in a debate, and a website full of people who Desperately need to consider
is commensurate with the stated objective of:

Quote from: "impuzzled"I am also a Chrsitian who would love to engage in rational debate without stone throwing.
Don't you think characterizing people as "Desperate" and "a little boy ... crying for help" qualifies as "stone throwing"?

big mac is frequently sarcastic, usually heavily so - I wouldn't take his "force" comments too literally (I certainly don't).

Regarding Anthony Flew, George Lucas, and any "acclaimed astrophysicists", my comments would be that I can't ever recall any atheist, here or any place else, listing Anthony Flew as "our renowned leader".  Same for George Lucas, same for any astrophysicists.

One thing that's interesting about this is the appeal to authority, and I think (if you will forgive me) that this is symptomatic of a religious mindset.  Seems to me that the religious believe that what Jesus said is right not because it makes sense, but because Jesus said it.  I think you will find the atheists far less willing to take a position as worthy simply due to the position's proponent.  The position has to make sense - not just come from a respected or "great" person.  I think you will see that atheists in general don't tend to put their faith in an individual leader and follow him with absolute devotion.

What would be the point of listing all the scientists and philosophers who have not accepted the "god hypothesis"?  We'd just get into a pissing contest over whose proponents have the best resume - and this is ridiculous to me.

If you'd like to discuss and debate, without stone throwing, individual concepts and ideas I would be happy to participate with you - I believe I can do so politely - just please understand that I don't have any interest in listing out persons of faith and persons of unfaith and arguing over who is the greater authority.  Nor do I have any interest in defending any and all statements made by other members of the board --- we are all individuals, we all have different ideas and beliefs, and there is no unified "atheist position".  We all just have one thing in common which is that we don't believe the assertion that any gods exist.

Whitney

Quote from: "impuzzled"I have been scanning these forums, I am a gun enthusiast, don't drink, do play cards, try not to stereotype but usually do, and fail at acheiving my pricipals more often then succeed. This offers me alot of room for growth.

I am also a Chrsitian who would love to engage in rational debate without stone throwing.

Let's stop here for a second.  Now, if you had stopped here it would have been a very nice post that showed you would be open to debate calmly...a rare find.

QuoteWhat I have read on this site is;
Squid saying that his scientific tendencies lead him to disproving scripture and I would respond by inviting himm to watch a video called The Journey Toward creation which has some of the worlds most acclaimed (atheist) astrophysicists concluding the Undeniable Existence of a Creative Intelligence. Stay up to date!

I can't speak for Squid but I have seen how well researched he is in science, especially biology. I do not know what video you are talking about but I gurantee that it didn't prove a god using science.  Do you know how I can know that without watching, because unless they physically found God and ran tests on her/him/it then they couldn't have used science to come to their conclusions.  The question of god is one which really should stay out of the research science field completely, that's what we have philosophy for.

QuoteA Nother man, big mac quoting Star Wars when it is common knowledge that George Lucas is a God fearing man and that all The Force is refferring to is the Power of The Holy Spirit. Find new material!

I don't see anything wrong with quoting a movie about a pretend religion.  Big Mac doesn't post here much anymore, but knowing him, it was probably meant as a joke anyway.

QuoteA little boy, Thanos crying for help because he got in over his head in a debate,
So...no one is perfect.  There is nothing wrong with asking for help, nor do I think he was 'crying.'

Quoteand a website full of people who Desperately need to consider that if one of your most reknown leaders, Anthony Flew with his far greater research on the topic and many more years of experience defending a topic that serves no-one and nothing has completley reversed his views,

You know what...I don't really know who Anthony Flew is.  I've just heard vague references to him...guess that means he's not MY leader.  Atheism isn't a church...there are no official leaders and we CAN disagree with those who end up making themselves into popular media atheists.

QuotePERHAPS ITS TIME TO DO A LITTLE HOMEWORK OF YOUR OWN!
I think you should do some more homework yourself...you don't seem to know much about what you are arguing against.

jcm

QuoteA Nother man, big mac quoting Star Wars when it is common knowledge that George Lucas is a God fearing man and that all The Force is refferring to is the Power of The Holy Spirit. Find new material!

Actually the force is based on Chi. It is more of a Chinese religious reference. Star wars is a hodgepodge of many different stories. Star wars is awesome!

QuoteI am also a Chrsitian who would love to engage in rational debate without stone throwing.

Great pick a topic. No wait, I’ll pick. What makes God more believable than Allah, Zeus, or Bumba?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Lindsey_Mcfarren

Thanos, why would you want to put forth an agrument?  Let me predict something, NOTHING you say, NO amount of logic will help these people see the error of their ways.  In my opinion, they are weak minded looking to Santa jesus to run their lives and reward them for being good little brain-washed idiots.

If someone asks me what I believe then of course I share that but I have no desire to save someone from their own ignorance.  They will NOT thank you for it.  They will hang on to their fantasy to the bitter end, find meaning in the strangest places.  Life has no meaning without these fantasies.

I grew up in the Seventh Day Adventist religion and these people are terminally stupid and begging to be led down the garden path.  I run away from them like they have the plague.  They make the air smell around them.  They can't utter one sentence without bashing you over the head with god this and jesus that.

Save yourself.
Better to reign in HELL then serve in Heaven. - Milton