News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Useful Advice

Started by DeterminedJuliet, July 13, 2012, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector Valdez

Once is a fluke, twice is luck, and three times is a cheat.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 14, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
Once is a fluke, twice is luck, and three times is a cheat.

Who the f'k taught you that?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 14, 2012, 05:30:49 AM
[Huh, I always wondered how you did that. I would also like to know more about these cat fashions.

I tried to click on it, just in case.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

There are two rules for success:
1. Never reveal everything you know.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: hismikeness on July 14, 2012, 10:32:58 AM
Don't start fights, but be ready to finish them.
Disagree. Only get into a fight you are absolutely certain you'll win - much safer, yes?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Never make a promise that you can't keep.
Trust but verify
Other people's lack of planning is not your emergency
Learn something new every year
Never invest money in something that you don't understand
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on July 14, 2012, 09:39:57 PM
Never make a promise that you can't keep.
Defeats the purpose of lying.

QuoteTrust but verify
Somewhat self-contradictory. Trust after verifying is much better, no?

QuoteOther people's lack of planning is not your emergency
...Unless they are the emergency rescue and you are trapped in a house on fire.

QuoteLearn something new every year
We learn something new every day - unless it's a day spent out-of-your-mind drunk on the couch.

QuoteNever invest money in something that you don't understand
...Except nukes and petrochemicals - there is money in that.

Now, whos advice shall His Grayness direct His wrath at next?  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

*cough* *cough*
Quote from: DJI'm not really intending for this to turn into a debate about the merits of each piece of advice
*ahem*
:P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Trust me, I know what I'm doing - Sledge Hammer

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 14, 2012, 10:00:53 PM
*cough* *cough*
Quote from: DJI'm not really intending for this to turn into a debate about the merits of each piece of advice
*ahem*
:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

technolud

Quote from: asmodianDisagree. Only get into a fight you are absolutely certain you'll win - much safer, yes?

My dad used to tell me this.  I never could figure out how you "knew" which fights you could win.  I suspect the real advice was, don't get into fights.

We heard to especially good pieces of advice when we first had kids:

1)  What ever stage they are in, if its good, enjoy it.  If its bad, bear with it.  Both will change soon enough.

2)  If you having a problem, talk to some one else with a kid 6 months or a year older then yours.   They have just been through it.  Grandma and Grandpa don't really remember any more.

Asmodean

Quote from: technolud on July 15, 2012, 01:55:04 AM
Quote from: asmodianDisagree. Only get into a fight you are absolutely certain you'll win - much safer, yes?

My dad used to tell me this.  I never could figure out how you "knew" which fights you could win.  I suspect the real advice was, don't get into fights.
You have a gun and know how to use it. Your opponent is within your accuracy range and has yet to notice your presence. Or you are reasonably good at boxing and your opponent is an unarmed and friendly neighbourhood nerd. OR you have four capable friends and your opponent does not, and so on and so forth.

Determining absolute superiority is not that hard.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hismikeness

Quote from: Asmodean on July 15, 2012, 03:07:04 AM
Quote from: technolud on July 15, 2012, 01:55:04 AM

You have a gun and know how to use it. Your opponent is within your accuracy range and has yet to notice your presence. Or you are reasonably good at boxing and your opponent is an unarmed and friendly neighbourhood nerd. OR you have four capable friends and your opponent does not, and so on and so forth.

Determining absolute superiority is not that hard.

I always took the advice to mean fight in the loosest sense of the word. From small disagreements to fist fights, or as Asmo put it 'absolute superiority', be always in a position to end a "fight" should someone be unwise enough to start one. most time that does not require fisticuffs.

I really couldn't imagine myself in a fist fight. I've only ever been in one (in sixth grade). I feel there is no reason to, but am aware enough to know I may stumble in to one, say, at a football game where a drunk spectator starts it. Or something.

If I'm above you in a stadium, you could be in trouble. Just sayin. Not you Asmo, nor technolud. General you.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

technolud

Quote from: asmodean

Don't have a gun or know how to use one.  Can't box, am a nerd.  I have four friends, but don't know if any of them can fight. 

Out of luck I guess.

Asmodean

Quote from: hismikeness on July 15, 2012, 03:34:26 AM
If I'm above you in a stadium, you could be in trouble. Just sayin. Not you Asmo, nor technolud. General you.
The Asmo would not go to a stadium in the first place, but if dragged there, He'd keep at least four of His eyes on the people immediately behind Him.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.