The Walking Contradiction explains his screen name and hopes to meet you all

Started by TheWalkingContradiction, July 08, 2012, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 09, 2012, 12:00:42 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 08, 2012, 10:45:29 PM
Yay! Another cat person! I think we have officially taken over!

I have a black and white kitty, as well as a ticked tabby. They're my boys and I love them (even though one is kinda an asshole and the other requires daily medication and throws up a lot).

Roscoe also needs medication and sometimes throws up.  She was a street cat I rescued at the end of August 2011, when Hurricane Irene was about to hit New York.  I had been feeding her for a while before that and was also looking for a home for her.  We had bonded, and there was no way I was going to leave her out in a hurricane.  A vet my sister knows well put her up during the storm, and I paid for a bath and a thorough medical exam.  (Unfortunately, she has FIV.)  

I was not looking for a first pet, but everything has worked out beautifully.  Roscoe and I get along well and respect each other's space.  She also sleeps in my bed (despite having her own cat bed) about 50% of the time.
No. You sleep in HER bed. You haven't got this cat thing sorted yet have you  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 09, 2012, 03:41:29 AM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 09, 2012, 03:14:26 AM
Ok more than a few contradictions might be a problem. I would still watch out for the Trekkies first.

Yes, contradictions and Trekkies can both be a problem if allowed to run around unsupervised at a convention.  Have you ever seen the video of fans in Klingon dress and mode practically terrorizing the waiters in a Thai restaurant?   ;D
I have not seen the video, but I imagine that it shows why the true Trekkie should not be allowed to breed. Obviously no one in this forum is a true Trekkkie I hope *cringes in fear*.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sandra Craft

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 09, 2012, 10:59:45 AM
I have not seen the video, but I imagine that it shows why the true Trekkie should not be allowed to breed. Obviously no one in this forum is a true Trekkkie I hope *cringes in fear*.

Somehow, I don't think preventing that is much of a problem.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 08, 2012, 07:17:15 AM
Spirituality: Atheist since 2004, but was agnostic more than a decade earlier.  Still healing from Christian Fundamentalist abuse.

Hello and welcome from a Christian.  Sorry for my fundie bretheren. 

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 08:45:19 AM

No. You sleep in HER bed. You haven't got this cat thing sorted yet have you  :D

You got that right!   ;D :D ;)

TheWalkingContradiction

EEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!  It's the beginning of a logical fallacy debate.   :o

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman)

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 09, 2012, 02:53:09 PM

Somehow, I don't think preventing that is much of a problem.

Well, the old joke is that female Star Trek, science fiction or super-hero comic fans will never be lonely since guys at conventions outnumber them ten to one...

(Sounds like a lovely place for a single gay guy like me...  ;D )

Recusant

The discussion of the Christian stance in regard to homosexuality has been split off to its own thread.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Recusant on July 10, 2012, 02:46:19 AM
The discussion of the Christian stance in regard to homosexuality has been split off to its own thread.

Thank you very, very much for that, Recusant!  In truth, I hope to stay out of this debate.  I did not come here to debate Christians and, at present, I really do just want to get to know people via this section even though I am past ten posts.

Amicale

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 10, 2012, 02:53:58 AM

Thank you very, very much for that, Recusant!  In truth, I hope to stay out of this debate.  I did not come here to debate Christians and, at present, I really do just want to get to know people via this section even though I am past ten posts.

It looks like your avatar is from an Archie comic. Which character is that? :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Amicale on July 10, 2012, 02:55:48 AM
Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 10, 2012, 02:53:58 AM

Thank you very, very much for that, Recusant!  In truth, I hope to stay out of this debate.  I did not come here to debate Christians and, at present, I really do just want to get to know people via this section even though I am past ten posts.

It looks like your avatar is from an Archie comic. Which character is that? :)

Seymour, about whom there were only ever two comics.  Both came out in 1963, and both are hilarious.  Unlike Sabrina the Teenage Witch, That Wilkin Boy, Josie and the Pussycats, Wilbur, The Madhouse Glads, and all the other spin-offs through the years, Seymour never took off.  

The drawing is by my favorite Archie artist, the late Dan DeCarlo (husband to the Belgian woman on whom Josie was based and father to the current Dan DeCarlo, whose Archie artwork is not as good as his father's was).

Here are some captures from Seymour, My Son and More Seymour: http://superitch.com/?p=15968

In terms of all comic artists, DeCarlo is my third favorite after Steve Rude (who is still alive and still writing/drawing super-heroes--and does incredible work on Nexus) and the late Kurt Schaffenburger (known largely but not exclusively for his work on 60s/70s/80s Superman companion titles like Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Superman Family, and Superboy).  

Add a few pounds and years, and Seymour is basically what I look like.