News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Do we really believe in god(s)?

Started by Genericguy, July 12, 2012, 10:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Genericguy on July 17, 2012, 06:16:52 PMIt's incredibly rude of you to say "you insist that believers' intuition must agree with yours" as if it's the driving force of my argument. The only reason I believe all people have doubt is because I have evaluated the potential reasons a theist might "sin". At the moment, all potential causes can be linked to doubt. I am 100% open to other explanations, though. My belief in this is not steadfast and I don't care in the slightest about being right. My only concern is analyzing reality. I sincerely apologize for not being able to accept your assertion that some people are without doubt, but I can't change the way my brain works. Simply saying some people are without doubt is not enough for me to concede and based on the explanations provided, I am not yet convinced.

I would apologize, Genericguy, if I had said what you accuse me of saying. In fact what you quoted was a conditional clause, signified by the word if, which for reasons of your own that I'm not privy to, you chose to ignore.

It isn't my intention to goad you, and the fact that you've chosen to view my post as rude signifies to me that my involvement in this discussion with you has become counterproductive. I'll leave it at that.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Genericguy on July 17, 2012, 06:16:52 PM
Quote from: Recusant on July 17, 2012, 05:32:15 PM
It has been pointed out before that some people's intuition is that some higher power, some all-encompassing creator must exist. I think that some who fall into this category are also the ones who say to atheists that, "deep down you know that God exists." They say that, not to be purposely overbearing, but because they actually believe it; their intuition tells them that their god exists, and they can't imagine how somebody else's intuition says anything different.

It may be that your intuition tells you that no god exists, Genericguy, but if you insist that believers' intuition must agree with yours, you are simply making the same mistake that the overbearing believers are.

It's incredibly rude of you to say "you insist that believers' intuition must agree with yours" as if it's the driving force of my argument. The only reason I believe all people have doubt is because I have evaluated the potential reasons a theist might "sin". At the moment, all potential causes can be linked to doubt. I am 100% open to other explanations, though. My belief in this is not steadfast and I don't care in the slightest about being right. My only concern is analyzing reality. I sincerely apologize for not being able to accept your assertion that some people are without doubt, but I can't change the way my brain works. Simply saying some people are without doubt is not enough for me to concede and based on the explanations provided, I am not yet convinced.
But the trouble is that your assertion that all people doubt at some point is equally unconvincing for exactly the same reasons you decline to accept Recusants point.

It is also worth noting that Recusant is probably the most polite poster on this forum. I have never, ever known him be 'incredibly rude' to anybody so I doubt he was being 'incredibly rude' to you.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Genericguy

I agree, tank, I have never seen recusant post anything rude, ever. The fault is my own for taking offense. Still, though, I don't think it was even necessary to bring up as a possible concern, as I have provided reasons for my believe. I apoligize for taking it as offensive, recusant.

I admit it is speculation and have never denied this. However, I have provided my reason for believing it. Could someone tell me what I'm missing? I'd appreciate it.

So far, recusant has provided explanations that he believes explaine why theists follow through with "sin". I suggested that they lead to doubt and gave my reasons. No one has provided any reasons why his explanations do not lead to doubt. I have been trying to think of any, but haven't been successful.