News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Lying to Children

Started by Crow, July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 10:19:40 AM
Quote from: AliWhy would he shoot Toby? :'(

Stated reason: the dog was out of control and kept running into the road and might involve us in a lawsuit.

Real reason: to hurt me, as usual.

The dog was young and healthy.

That's awful  >:(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Stated reason: the dog was out of control and kept running into the road and might involve us in a lawsuit.

What a fucking bastard!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Sad how twisted and broken people can be and how that damage is transmitted to the next generation. I had an emotionally abusive father myself and the legacy remains, though I have largely come to terms with it. I did feel hate at the time but now I understand the demons that drove him and see he was a victim of circumstance too.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

((((Git)))))

also, ((((E_R))))

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 05, 2012, 10:12:47 PM
When we have to put either one of our cats down, wee man will be told what's going to happen and will be given the option of coming along. When I worked at the vet clinic, I saw a number of children say good-bye to their pets. Some of them handled it better than their parents. Our oldest cat is only 6, so it'll be a while yet, but I wouldn't lie to him about this either, I don't think.

When my daughter was about 4.5 her best friend at nursery was a little girl with mild Downs and some other underlying health problems. The little girl died and M was left a little confused, but we helped her through it with compassion and honesty. I thought it would help to take M to the funeral; she was the only pupil invited. It was a proper burial (rather than a behind-the-curtain cremation) which probably helped. I explained everything I could in terms she could relate to. She could see the emotions of the Mother which I thought might disturb her a little, but she accepted my explanations of why she was acting strangely.

A couple of years previously I'd lost my 16y/o cousin to a car crash. Several weeks after her friend's funeral M asked me about my cousin and we discussed how her death affected me. I cried. She was very sympathetic (as is her way) and I noticed an emerging empathy far beyond her years.

M sometimes talks about her friend, and the tone is always very positive and mature. There is no 'elephant in the room' when the subject of death is broached. She has developed a very healthy concept of death, and having been so close to it from an early age seems to have struck a fine balance between pragmatism and sensitivity. She couldn't have got there alone!

I noticed that 'Elephant' when chatting with the other parents, most of whom were unwilling to engage with me on the subject with their children within earshot. I know that's their parenting choice but I cant say it'd work for me or my children.

As for my son? Well, he's just more interested in Darth Maul and doesnt have the time for such frivolity...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 12:35:46 PM
How much?  :-\
Well... The Asmo has been known to make some minor deals for a soul... No, wait... That was the devil...

Hmm... A hundred slaves. Yes, that should be a proper price.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 06, 2012, 02:18:07 PM
When we have to put either one of our cats down, wee man will be told what's going to happen and will be given the option of coming along. When I worked at the vet clinic, I saw a number of children say good-bye to their pets. Some of them handled it better than their parents. Our oldest cat is only 6, so it'll be a while yet, but I wouldn't lie to him about this either, I don't think.

When my daughter was about 4.5 her best friend at nursery was a little girl with mild Downs and some other underlying health problems. The little girl died and M was left a little confused, but we helped her through it with compassion and honesty. I thought it would help to take M to the funeral; she was the only pupil invited. It was a proper burial (rather than a behind-the-curtain cremation) which probably helped. I explained everything I could in terms she could relate to. She could see the emotions of the Mother which I thought might disturb her a little, but she accepted my explanations of why she was acting strangely.

A couple of years previously I'd lost my 16y/o cousin to a car crash. Several weeks after her friend's funeral M asked me about my cousin and we discussed how her death affected me. I cried. She was very sympathetic (as is her way) and I noticed an emerging empathy far beyond her years.

M sometimes talks about her friend, and the tone is always very positive and mature. There is no 'elephant in the room' when the subject of death is broached. She has developed a very healthy concept of death, and having been so close to it from an early age seems to have struck a fine balance between pragmatism and sensitivity. She couldn't have got there alone!

I noticed that 'Elephant' when chatting with the other parents, most of whom were unwilling to engage with me on the subject with their children within earshot. I know that's their parenting choice but I cant say it'd work for me or my children.

As for my son? Well, he's just more interested in Darth Maul and doesnt have the time for such frivolity...

It sounds to me like you handled it quite well and your daughter is better off for it. 

I'm also not one to "protect" my son from the reality and concept of death.  When Hubby's grandfather died, we talked to T about it and he attended the funeral.  Several people I know asked me if I was worried that it would upset him, particularly to see the adults he knows crying.  My thought is that it's okay to be sad and cry when someone dies, and I don't mind him knowing that. 

A few weeks ago, we (T & I) somehow got on the subject of my grandpa who died before T was born.  He asked me if I lived with my mom and dad whne he died, and I said no.  T got kind of teary eyed, and said something along the lines of "I'm sad that you didn't have anyone to be with you when your grandpa died."  It was so stinking sweet.  Again, empathy.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on July 06, 2012, 03:52:58 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 06, 2012, 02:18:07 PM

It sounds to me like you handled it quite well and your daughter is better off for it. 

I'm also not one to "protect" my son from the reality and concept of death.  When Hubby's grandfather died, we talked to T about it and he attended the funeral.  Several people I know asked me if I was worried that it would upset him, particularly to see the adults he knows crying.  My thought is that it's okay to be sad and cry when someone dies, and I don't mind him knowing that. 

A few weeks ago, we (T & I) somehow got on the subject of my grandpa who died before T was born.  He asked me if I lived with my mom and dad whne he died, and I said no.  T got kind of teary eyed, and said something along the lines of "I'm sad that you didn't have anyone to be with you when your grandpa died."  It was so stinking sweet.  Again, empathy.

These are both sweet stories. I know some adults who were completely sheltered from death as children and they seem to have a much harder time processing it now. Of course, it's always going to suck when a loved one dies, but I think there's a tendency in our society to set death up as something that's "unnatural."
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 06, 2012, 11:35:33 AM
Has FSM refused to hear your pleas for vengeance? Because The Asmo could listen... For a price  ;D

Is it just money you want or other material things?  ;D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 06, 2012, 11:59:53 PM
Slaves. Lotsa' them.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 07, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

I want to be a minion. Or at least a mode of transportation: PONY STYLE >D

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Dye that mane gray and... Yes, yes, why not...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 07, 2012, 01:11:02 AM

Maybe someone with awesome photoshop skills *COUGHPUDDINGORBUDHORSE* could do my mane gray.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Asmodean on July 07, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

I have one, but she has a habit of strangling her amorphous blob overlords.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 07, 2012, 01:33:00 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 07, 2012, 01:11:02 AM

Maybe someone with awesome photoshop skills *COUGHPUDDINGORBUDHORSE* could do my mane gray.

Sorry, no computer. Gonna have to IOU that one.  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.