News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

You Lost One - Atheist Converts

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 25, 2012, 01:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2012, 03:05:36 AM
I don't know why she chose Catholicism in particular though as the best expression for her new found Truth. Comes with the package, I'd like just for curiosity's sake see how she can justify the objective moral truths behind things like intolerance towards homosexuality, abortion or not distributing anti-contraception or condoms in Africa where AIDS runs rampant assuming her views were contrary to the Church's position before she converted.
Absolutely.

I doubt she will last in the Catholic faith, so many things for her to take on board without question.
The immorality of IVF, of sex education, of stemcell research, of homosexuality, of sex without intending to procreate, the guilt trips, the infallibility of the church, the position of women in society and in the church.

Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone can accept Catholicism. Its so strict, so rigid, so oppressive. And you get to imagine you are eating and drinking Jesus.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2012, 03:20:31 AM
If she starts to accept the dehumanization of others who aren't an "us" (i.e Catholic in her case), then it will be. :-\ That and other atrocities.

Muslims are an inferior race and don't have a soul, they worship the wrong god so they're just as good as animals. They were given a choice but they chose to continue to worship their false god. They deserved it.

Funny, as Muslims feel that way about non Muslims.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on June 27, 2012, 06:39:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2012, 03:05:36 AM
I don't know why she chose Catholicism in particular though as the best expression for her new found Truth. Comes with the package, I'd like just for curiosity's sake see how she can justify the objective moral truths behind things like intolerance towards homosexuality, abortion or not distributing anti-contraception or condoms in Africa where AIDS runs rampant assuming her views were contrary to the Church's position before she converted.
Absolutely.

I doubt she will last in the Catholic faith, so many things for her to take on board without question.
The immorality of IVF, of sex education, of stemcell research, of homosexuality, of sex without intending to procreate, the guilt trips, the infallibility of the church, the position of women in society and in the church.

Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone can accept Catholicism. Its so strict, so rigid, so oppressive. And you get to imagine you are eating and drinking Jesus.

I ask myself this constantly, as i live in a mostly Catholic area. It's like "How can you stomach this garbage?"
Oh yeah, they probably never actually read the bible OR actually accept this sexist, racist bullshit as the truth. In which case, i would love for 'horrible ' things to happen to them , like their kids getting knocked up or being homosexual. ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

Quote from: StevilQuite frankly, I don't know how anyone can accept Catholicism.

I would probably believe it if I had been brainwashed from babyhood.  I am always a bit surprised, as well as glad, when I see escapees sign on here.

fester30

The comment Asmodean made about someone being so far beneath the Clay Crusader intellectually must be taken with a coagulated lump of salt.  The Mud Marauder finds most humanoids beneath it intellectually.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: fester30 on June 27, 2012, 06:59:41 PM
The comment Asmodean made about someone being so far beneath the Clay Crusader intellectually must be taken with a coagulated lump of salt.  The Mud Marauder finds most humanoids beneath it intellectually.

I don't think so.  There is a usual sense of comedic relief when he does so not to mention his trademark (tm) that usually accompanies these.

That...and he didn't try and clarify from that 'The Asmo' perspective as he does clearly, but from a personal perspective.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 27, 2012, 07:24:00 PM
The comment Asmodean made about someone being so far beneath the Clay Crusader intellectually must be taken with a coagulated lump of salt.  The Mud Marauder finds most humanoids beneath it intellectually.

I don't think so.  There is a usual sense of comedic relief when he does so not to mention his trademark (tm) that usually accompanies these.

That...and he didn't try and clarify from that 'The Asmo' perspective as he does clearly, but from a personal perspective.
...And if you actually read the post, particularly the second part, you may, and I stress may, find some less-than-comic sense there that does not call for the application of (tm) or other accessories.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 07:31:13 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 27, 2012, 07:24:00 PM
The comment Asmodean made about someone being so far beneath the Clay Crusader intellectually must be taken with a coagulated lump of salt.  The Mud Marauder finds most humanoids beneath it intellectually.

I don't think so.  There is a usual sense of comedic relief when he does so not to mention his trademark (tm) that usually accompanies these.

...And if you actually read the post, particularly the second part, you may, and I stress may, find some less-than-comic sense there that does not call for the application of (tm) or other accessories.

Now all of a sudden...??

After you initially felt attacked and also felt I was putting words in your mouth?

Ok...

Ali

I found all of the quotation marks in Asmo's OP to be slightly humorous.  Because I pictured the gray glob doing all of the quote marks with his fingers in such quick succession that he looked like he was playing Little Bunny FuFu.   ;D

Asmodean

It takes a lot more to make me feel attacked - an actual attack, for instance. You have somewhat of a reputation with me for putting words in people's mouths, however.

What I was saying, was that there is a good and valid point to the italic sentense in my previous comment. I do indeed see most humanoids as beneath me intellectually because they sort of... Are. The degree of it varies though, from insignificant, which has no impact on my personal interactions with the individual to catastrophic, in which case I will usually go out of my way to avoid such interactions.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 07:47:47 PM
It takes a lot more to make me feel attacked - an actual attack, for instance. You have somewhat of a reputation with me for putting words in people's mouths, however.

You can find me any sort you wish to.

Quote from: AsmodeanWhat I was saying, was that there is a good and valid point to the italic sentense in my previous comment. I do indeed see most humanoids as beneath me intellectually because they sort of... Are. The degree of it varies though, from insignificant, which has no impact on my personal interactions with the individual to catastrophic, in which case I will usually go out of my way to avoid such interactions.

I don't see any mention of 'humanoids' but a direct mention of 'adult atheists who "find"... .

Quote from: Asmodean on June 25, 2012, 02:35:06 AM
What exactly do "we" lose that "we" shouldn't be glad to see the back of?

Frankly, I consider adult atheists who "find" some form of "god" so far beneath me intellectually that I lose all interest in them if I had any to begin with.

Being raised to believe in fairy tales and holding on to it is one thing, giving up the magic and then re-integrating it into one's life is quite another (As for never-theists, I do not know of any converts from that group who stayed converted for any prolonged period of time)

But now it was a comedic post directed at humanoids.  Ok.  I'll let you "win" this one.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 27, 2012, 08:22:11 PM
I don't see any mention of 'humanoids' but a direct mention of 'adult atheists who "find"... .
I think we are talking about different posts. I was not refering to the OP, but to the post you quoted before we started this round, which should be relatively obvious through my reference to an italic line of text in a quote within the post where said reference was made.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

I hope that S. E. Cupp doesn't feel like Ms. Libresco has stolen her thunder. I'm still optimistic that I'll read sometime soon that she's seen the light, too!

I think this conversion was a good thing. Libresco is comfortably ensconced in the arms of the Catholic god, which she believes is the source of objective morality, and has provided an excellent source of material to all the commenters on both sides of the conversation.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ali

When I first saw this thread, SE Cupp was the first person I thought of. 

I genuinely dislike her (SE Cupp) and that is pretty rare for me.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 07:47:47 PMIt takes a lot more to make me feel attacked - an actual attack, for instance. You have somewhat of a reputation with me for putting words in people's mouths, however.

Put some words in my mouth now, Asmo, but be gentle.  It's my first time.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.