Main Menu

Is the End approaching?

Started by Holubice, June 20, 2012, 12:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 20, 2012, 09:28:00 PM
Quote from: En_Route on June 20, 2012, 09:12:59 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 20, 2012, 09:05:02 PM
Believing that mayans in loincloths hunting with spears 2000 years ago could actually predict anything when they failed to predict their own demise is a bunch of malarkey.

I read that some of them even predicted that England would win the European Nations Cup in 2012.How preposterous can you get?
I heard they predicted that the Chicago Cubs and New York mets would Both win the NL pennant and they would declare that the AL would be out of the World Series. The game would then be declared a tie on account of the Psychols coming to Earth and declaring that they would be enslaving the NY yankees who would then be used as gold miners.  Both the Cubs and Yankees would be declared winners of the Series before being audited by the resurreced L. Ron hubbard who would then declare John Travolta emperor of Jupiter.

Well they were renowned for their partiality to mind-altering substances.They used to sacrifice virgins to a background of Pink Floyd's greatest hits. I wonder if they have massage parlours on Jupiter?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Sandra Craft

I'm waiting for fish running mad in the streets and walls weeping blood before I start wondering about signs of the end.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 20, 2012, 09:05:02 PM
Believing that mayans in loincloths hunting with spears 2000 years ago could actually predict anything when they failed to predict their own demise is a bunch of malarkey.

To be fair to the Mayans, it's not like that. Their stellar chart was a calender, not a prophecy. They were actually quite advanced in astronomy.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

If anyone hasn't gotten to know Holubice already, go back and read his previous posts (I hadn't till now). It's comedy gold.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Nam

Natural disasters have been happening on Earth since the beginning, it's still here. If it does come to an end: it'll be 'cause of "man", or some astroid or comet, or whatever that's big enough to wipe us out.

But nature happens.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

The Magic Pudding

Rather than ancient predictions of what was going to happen next year which have been recycled ever since, I prefer the modern attempts to identify what mental disorder inspired them.  Schizophrenia, magic mushrooms, a bumped head, heat stroke or malnutrition perhaps.

Nam

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 21, 2012, 05:38:47 AM
Rather than ancient predictions of what was going to happen next year which have been recycled ever since, I prefer the modern attempts to identify what mental disorder inspired them.  Schizophrenia, magic mushrooms, a bumped head, heat stroke or malnutrition perhaps.

Or the elusive "alcohol" induced paranoia -- is that blasphemy?

(Hides)

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

markmcdaniel

I don't think that I will spent to much time worrying about the the world ending by natural disaster. Humans have been surviving natural disasters as long as there have been humans on this rock. The recent spat of disasters, While they have killed large numbers of people, do not come even close to qualifying for an end of the world event.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

technolud

Of course the End is approaching.  At least until someone figures out how to stop the march of time.  Could take a while though, I wouldn't quit my day job just yet.

Some time back I heard an interview with an ex-priest turned atheist.  He stated that people have been predicting the 2nd coming of Christ since shortly after Christ's death.  In fact people alive at that time predicted he would return during thier lifetimes.  And then additional groups have popped up every decade or so since, so 200 odd different groups predicting the end.

The only thing all of these folks had in common was that they all were wrong.  C'est la vie.

Holubice

So you think the present situation is just a "nihil sub sole novum"?

Is out there someone aware about a list of catastrophes omened by a middle east mystic about 2000 years ago? I mean this list

Parousia

Or, if you want, the events in this account:

Redde rationem

Are you so sure this is not the begging of the  End explained above?

Recusant

Oh my, how tiresome. You've done a genuinely wretched job of preaching in that post, Holubice. None of your links work, and really it's no loss, since you're just regurgitating the same tired old "The End is Nigh!!™" yawpings that have been the standard fare of predatory religious snake-oil salesmen for literally thousands of years. Luckily I wasn't expecting anything more interesting, otherwise I might have been mildly disappointed. I'll save some of the more curious members of HAF some time, and link to the relevant chapter of the Christian holy book.

Quote from: Holubice on June 21, 2012, 09:45:39 AM
. . . the begging of the  End . . .

Indeed
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

The Book of Asmoism clearly states that life on Earth will not end for a few billion years yet. Then, The Asmo will explode the sun, making it expand beyond the orbit of Venus and scorch the Earth to a cinder.

Who are you gonna trust, some ancient fool from some random desert country, or His Infernal Grayness?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hismikeness

Quote from: Holubice on June 21, 2012, 09:45:39 AM

Are you so sure this is not the begging of the  End explained above?

If this is the beginning of the end, then certainly there's still a middle of the end and end of the end still to come. Hakuna Matata.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Crow

Yeah the end is approaching.

It began approaching the day you I or anybody else were born, you see we all die at some point. From the second we are born we are getting busy dying. You don't need to go around telling people an end is coming as everyone knows it is, you may as well go around telling people the sky is blue and do as much use as you are now.
Retired member.

The Magic Pudding

People can pick up on various things from the bible depending on their nature.  We see people embrace a love of others do good way of life, others are petty and look down on unbelievers.  I wonder at the nature of someone who picks out horrible end time stories as "truths" that talk to them.