News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

A MIRACLE!

Started by technolud, June 19, 2012, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technolud

In this image from Jackson Memorial Hospital where Yasser was treated, the spear is seen penetrating the front and back of the 16-year-old's skull. Keep clicking to learn more about the case that some doctors are calling a miracle...

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10012686.html?tag=page

Crow

Like the person who got shot in the head lost half of their brain and massive chunk of their cranium and still survived.
Retired member.

technolud

A miracle of science if you ask me.

Guardian85

One in a million shot!   :o

That guy should get some lottery tickets while he's at it.....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

technolud

Gage had some problems, but reportedly survived surprisingly well.

Quote from: wikipediaPhineas P. Gage (1823–1860)[n 2] was an American railroad construction foreman now remembered for his improbable[n 3] survival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and for that injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior – effects so profound that friends saw him as "no longer Gage".

Long called "the American Crowbar Case" – once termed "the case which more than all others is calculated to excite our wonder, impair the value of prognosis, and even to subvert our physiological doctrines"[1] – Phineas Gage influenced 19th-century discussion about the brain, particularly debate on cerebral localization,[2] and was perhaps the first case suggesting that damage to specific regions of the brain might affect personality and behavior.

Gage is a fixture in the curricula of neurology, psychology and related disciplines, and is frequently mentioned in books and academic papers; he also has a minor place in popular culture.[n 4] Relative to this celebrity, the body of known fact about the case is remarkably small, which has allowed it to be cited, over the years, in support of various theories of the brain and mind wholly contradictory to one another. A survey of published accounts has found that even modern scientific presentations of Gage are usually greatly distorted – exaggerating and even directly contradicting the established facts.

A daguerreotype portrait of Gage – "handsome ... well dressed and confident, even proud," and holding the tamping iron that injured him – was identified in 2009 (see below). One researcher points to it as consistent with a social recovery hypothesis, under which Gage's most serious mental changes may have existed for only a limited time after the accident, so that in later life he was far more functional, and socially far better adapted, than has been thought. A second portrait (right) came to light in 2010.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: technolud on June 20, 2012, 02:03:10 AM
Gage had some problems, but reportedly survived surprisingly well.

Quote from: wikipediaPhineas P. Gage (1823–1860)[n 2] was an American railroad construction foreman now remembered for his improbable[n 3] survival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and for that injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior – effects so profound that friends saw him as "no longer Gage".

Long called "the American Crowbar Case" – once termed "the case which more than all others is calculated to excite our wonder, impair the value of prognosis, and even to subvert our physiological doctrines"[1] – Phineas Gage influenced 19th-century discussion about the brain, particularly debate on cerebral localization,[2] and was perhaps the first case suggesting that damage to specific regions of the brain might affect personality and behavior.

Gage is a fixture in the curricula of neurology, psychology and related disciplines, and is frequently mentioned in books and academic papers; he also has a minor place in popular culture.[n 4] Relative to this celebrity, the body of known fact about the case is remarkably small, which has allowed it to be cited, over the years, in support of various theories of the brain and mind wholly contradictory to one another. A survey of published accounts has found that even modern scientific presentations of Gage are usually greatly distorted – exaggerating and even directly contradicting the established facts.

A daguerreotype portrait of Gage – "handsome ... well dressed and confident, even proud," and holding the tamping iron that injured him – was identified in 2009 (see below). One researcher points to it as consistent with a social recovery hypothesis, under which Gage's most serious mental changes may have existed for only a limited time after the accident, so that in later life he was far more functional, and socially far better adapted, than has been thought. A second portrait (right) came to light in 2010.

I remember reading about that years ago.  This also makes me think of an episode of ER where a construction worker walked into the hospital with a steel pipe going in one side of his skull and poking out the other.  "I bet this looks like it hurts," was his only line.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

If it were truly a miracle at work, he wouldn't have gotten speared in the first time. LOL ;)

still, pretty crazy.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 21, 2012, 06:19:57 AM
If it were truly a miracle at work, he wouldn't have gotten speared in the first time. LOL ;)

still, pretty crazy.
What you are describing is either divine intervention or or good planing. Miracles fall a step or two below this in the order of things. In this context miracle simply means that the person involved was unlikely to survive but did.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sweetdeath

Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 21, 2012, 08:08:49 AM

still, pretty crazy.
What you are describing is either divine intervention or or good planing. Miracles fall a step or two below this in the order of things. In this context miracle simply means that the person involved was unlikely to survive but did.

With some brain damage. Luuucky  ::)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

technolud

Quote from: markmcdanielQuote from: Sweetdeath on June 20, 2012, 10:19:57 PM
If it were truly a miracle at work, he wouldn't have gotten speared in the first time. LOL Wink

still, pretty crazy.

Really.  I usually manage to get SOME good planning in every day, like combining multiple chores in one trip or the like.  Miracles should be easier to pull off then this?

AnimatedDirt

still, pretty crazy.

Maybe that's precisely what is going on.  Maybe you've hit the nail square on the head.  What if miracles are happening all around us at every moment, but because we don't see what would've been, we see nothing...and know nothing.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 22, 2012, 09:03:41 PM

still, pretty crazy.

Maybe that's precisely what is going on.  Maybe you've hit the nail square on the head.  What if miracles are happening all around us at every moment, but because we don't see what would've been, we see nothing...and know nothing.
Or maybe it's just the poorly evolved ape brain  seeing patterns it wants to see.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

I didn't get speared in the brain today, but I wouldn't consider that a miracle.

I think it would have broached miracle territory if he was shot in the head, but through some freak of physics the spear bounced of his skull or something.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 22, 2012, 11:11:27 PM
I didn't get speared in the brain today, but I wouldn't consider that a miracle.

I think it would have broached miracle territory if he was shot in the head, but through some freak of physics the spear bounced of his skull or something.
Now that would of been awesome.